PDA

View Full Version : New To Lathe... Finish Question?

Chuck Fischer
11-19-2004, 9:35 AM
Hey guys I'm new to turning and for christmas I have been making some ornements. (Ill post photos later). So far I've been putting BLO on them and plan to use a wipe on polly later, any secret lathe finishes that I should know of? I heard about using wax, what is that about?

Any info would be great, thanks.
Chuck

George Tokarev
11-19-2004, 5:12 PM
Shellac, the turner's friend. On with a rag, dries almost instantly. I do mine from flakes, but you can get the premixed stuff at home centers if you watch the expiration date. That's usually what they call a 3-pound cut, meaning three pounds of flakes in a gallon of alcohol. I cut some half and half, wipe it on, and let it dry. It'll raise the grain a touch, so you can use 400 wet/dry or one of those woven pads to cut it back. Then you can do a quick/dirty version of French Polishing. Search the web on that for a lot of advice.

My method is to take the cut shellac and the proverbial lint-free piece of cloth (T-shirt), wrap a larger piece around a crumbled and shellac-soaked smaller piece. I put a drop of olive or grapeseed oil for lubrication and start applying in small circles. Don't rub too hard or too long in one place. You're trying to put on an infinite number of thin coats, and the alcohol in what you're applying will soften what's there. It's a task of perhaps three-four minutes to get a slick surface on an ornament, and since it's mindless and can be interrupted at any time as long as you toss your rag into a bit of alcohol, it's something you can do while watching TV or listening to SWMBO tell you about her day. I take it to the ready room for the ambulance to help pass the time. When the rag drags, another drop of oil. When the rag dries, more shellac. Apply as required.

If you're using this kind of finish on bigger stuff, you can really build up a full piano-deep finish if you care to. Monday night football is good for a half-dozen or more display pieces. Easier on the body and family than lacquer, too.