PDA

View Full Version : I did it . . . I went to the mall!

Belinda Barfield
05-07-2010, 6:09 PM
I finally have the opportunity to meet some fellow Creekers next weekend. I would really like to make a good impression and it crossed my mind today that my normal work uniform of tank top or T shirt, khaki shorts, and work boots might need to be revamped. So, I went to the mall . . . which for me is akin to having a root canal and a proctology exam at the same time. I only go to the mall when absolutely necessary, maybe twice a year. Todaymy opinion of the evils of a mall were confirmed. I spent an hour and a half and left empty handed. (I did try on some cute shoes though!) After the frustrating mall experience, and the even more frustrating experience of driving home, I now sit before the screen with a glass of Jack Daniels and my trusty debit card ready to shop online.

Please, powers that be, don't ever let anything happen to the Internet. Y'all wish me luck on that good impression thing, I'm going to need all the help I can get.

Steve Schlumpf
05-07-2010, 6:29 PM
Belinda - you have a way of making me smile every time I read one of your posts! I honestly don't think what you wear is going to make any difference what-so-ever - your personality shines so bright it just doesn't matter!

Looking forward to reading about a Creeker visit real soon!

Belinda Barfield
05-07-2010, 6:38 PM
Thank you Steve! That is very kind of you to say.

I'm sure you will get to read all about the visit. Jim McGrew is hosting a CNC users get together in Columbia, SC. I'm really trying to stress that "what happens in Columbia stays in Columbia" theme, but I don't think it is going to stick. I'll be on my best behavior. :rolleyes:

Jason Roehl
05-07-2010, 6:39 PM
And remember...no pics; didn't happen.

Mitchell Andrus
05-07-2010, 7:10 PM
I spent an hour and a half and left empty handed.

Same. I do come away with some ideas for gifts though. I just can't take the mass of people and lack of 'real' sales help.

Remember when you went to a shoe store and didn't have to rummage to find something to try on? Mr. Murray in the center of town knew everyone's shoe size and preferences by heart.

Belinda Barfield
05-07-2010, 7:27 PM
Remember when you went to a shoe store and didn't have to rummage to find something to try on? Mr. Murray in the center of town knew everyone's shoe size and preferences by heart.

Don't even get me started on shoes Mitchell. I have a AA to AAA narrow heel (depending on the manufacturer). Without getting into the whys and wherefores, Savannah stores (like everywhere else) stock what sells. I don't have a EEE width foot, never will. I cannot find shoes in this town, unless they are sandals, that fit my foot. Yes, growing up the shoe guy at Finklestein's department store knew that I needed a narrow shoe.

Here's my biggest gripe. Men buy pants. Women have to choose from "sits below the waist" to "just above the hoo hoo". What ever happened to pants that sit at the waist, that can be belted, that give a nice finished appearance? Sorry, not a rant for this forum.

Scott Shepherd
05-07-2010, 7:35 PM
And remember...no pics; didn't happen.

I agree with Jason, but I think I'm reading it completely different :)

NO pictures. DIDN'T happen :D

Jason Roehl
05-07-2010, 7:43 PM
Well, just to clarify, I thought I was referring to one of the unwritten rules of the forum, in its quick and dirty form.

[If there are] no pics [posted]; [it] didn't happen.

John Coloccia
05-07-2010, 8:25 PM
re: the mall

I can't be in the mall for more than 15 or 20 minutes. I have to run in, get what I want, and run out. I just can't stand it. I liked it as a kid. These days, if I don't absofrickinlutely have to go there, I will not go. Countless time I've been out with the wife, at the mall, and I just grab her hand and say "I can't take anymore....we gotta go".

I've no problem with malls in other countries, by the way. They seem much more subdued and friendly. Maybe malls in other parts of the country are OK too.

Jim Mattheiss
05-07-2010, 9:06 PM
I can wander around the mall - it's just a people watching experience.

Seeing the "High Maintenance" Mom walk by trailed by a 14 year old version of herself makes me chuckle every time. Designer sunglasses, handbag and shoes (just to tie it back to Belinda's post) on both of them - usually both talking on the cell phone.

There's almost no stores in the mall where I will shop - I'll look at the cool toys in the Apple store but I have a corporate cell phone, don't drink coffee and don't wear designer clothes, so there is really nothing for me to shop for.

The Bridgewater NJ Mall doesn't even have a Sears to go look at the Craftsman stuff . . .

Have a nice meeting and post pic's when done.

Cheers

Jim

Ken Fitzgerald
05-07-2010, 9:46 PM
Belinda,

Steve is right. Your personality is such, nobody will notice what you are wearing!

I hate shopping. I especially hate shopping with the LOML. I do, however, feel a certain obligation to shop with Sharon. Therefore, once a year I make an effort to spend at least one hour shopping with her. :rolleyes:

Doug W Swanson
05-07-2010, 11:54 PM
I now sit before the screen with a glass of Jack Daniels

Mmmm....

You can't beat Jack Daniel's! It's my favorite!

Doug

Glen Butler
05-08-2010, 1:06 AM
I go to the mall all the time. I am addicted to Chick-fil-A and the one near me is in the food court at the mall. I rarely venture anywhere else though. If I need a pair of pants I usually beg my wife to go, but she hates the mall too. You gotta love a low maintainence woman.

jerry nazard
05-08-2010, 1:18 AM
No malls. No K-Mart. No Wal-Mart. Absolutely no Sears.
Life is good....

Rich Stewart
05-08-2010, 5:32 AM
I like tank tops on women. Have fun Belinda. I agree with Steve.

Belinda Barfield
05-08-2010, 5:43 AM
I realized this morning that I was not completely accurate in my mall visit count. I go to the "old" mall maybe twice a year. The "new" mall, open only 15 or so years, has two of my favorite stores. I do go to those two stores every couple of months but I don't actually have to enter the mall to do so. I love Bass Pro and A.C. Moore (crafts store). I am not, however, a shopper. I usually go to the store for a specific item and get out as quickly as possible. I like to people watch at Bass Pro though. No high maintenance women but the entire family down to the newborn decked out in camo.

Gene Howe
05-08-2010, 6:36 AM
Bass Pro and Cabela's...oh yeah! My favorite clothing stores.
Now, if they just sold wood working tools!:D

Tim Morton
05-08-2010, 7:23 AM
+1 for the sipping whiskey while shopping from the computer (Knob creek preferred):cool:

my vision of the perfect mall would have no people in it...you could just walk thru it and if you find something you like just whip out your iPad and click "buy now". Of course i would also want this mall to be in my house...

and allow me to shop in my jammies at 2 in the morning.:p:p

Belinda Barfield
05-08-2010, 7:45 AM
+1 for the sipping whiskey while shopping from the computer (Knob creek preferred):cool:

my vision of the perfect mall would have no people in it...you could just walk thru it and if you find something you like just whip out your iPad and click "buy now". Of course i would also want this mall to be in my house...

and allow me to shop in my jammies at 2 in the morning.:p:p

I like Knob Creek but didn't have any on hand.

If you build it, they will come.

I just finished shopping in my jammies!

Scott Shepherd
05-08-2010, 8:33 AM
Well, just to clarify, I thought I was referring to one of the unwritten rules of the forum, in its quick and dirty form.

[If there are] no pics [posted]; [it] didn't happen.

Jason, I was saying it more like bachelor party unwritten rules.....

[If there are] no pics, [then no one can prove it] happened :D

I've never seen a happy ending when someone pulls out a camera at one of those party's. Almost always ends badly for the couple.

Curt Harms
05-08-2010, 8:36 AM
"call me when you're about ready to go". There's gotta be something of interest nearby. All the shopping centers near me have at least a borg nearby.

re: the mall

I can't be in the mall for more than 15 or 20 minutes. I have to run in, get what I want, and run out. I just can't stand it. I liked it as a kid. These days, if I don't absofrickinlutely have to go there, I will not go. Countless time I've been out with the wife, at the mall, and I just grab her hand and say "I can't take anymore....we gotta go".

I've no problem with malls in other countries, by the way. They seem much more subdued and friendly. Maybe malls in other parts of the country are OK too.

Art Mulder
05-08-2010, 11:32 AM
So, I went to the mall . . .
I spent an hour and a half and left empty handed.

Women have to choose from "sits below the waist" to "just above the hoo hoo". What ever happened to pants that sit at the waist, that can be belted, that give a nice finished appearance? Sorry, not a rant for this forum.

Ahh, Belinda, it could have been worse. It could have been swimsuit shopping. I have to give lots of moral support to LOML when that time comes around.

First of all is the fact that the mall seems to primarily cater to 100 lb 5'0" teenage girls. This is of little comfort to a wife who has a "4" (or more) beginning her age. :mad:

Next, and this applies to swimsuit especially, is the sheer "trendiness" of colours. Last year, for instance, the swimsuit store was loaded with dull browns and greens, which are just not my wife's colours. (This year, those are all gone. btw.) I think she ended up buying from Land's End last year. :p

Phyllis Meyer
05-08-2010, 1:24 PM
Belinda, shopping in jammies is the best! You and I should try that in the mall:rolleyes:. You will look good in whatever you find to wear, but isn't it funny how none of the guys on here are pondering "what to wear"...why are we like that? These guys on here are so cool, and they are not going to post pictures of what Belinda had on;) (but do snap one of her shoes guys)!

Have an awesome day!
Phyllis:)

Ray Bell
05-08-2010, 1:35 PM
Steve expressed my thoughts exactly. It isn't going to matter what you wear. You will shine!

Belinda Barfield
05-08-2010, 4:43 PM
Ahh, Belinda, it could have been worse. It could have been swimsuit shopping. I have to give lots of moral support to LOML when that time comes around.

First of all is the fact that the mall seems to primarily cater to 100 lb 5'0" teenage girls.

Actually, Art, that used to be the case. Now the mall caters to 85 lb 5'9" teenage girls. :eek:

Belinda, shopping in jammies is the best! You and I should try that in the mall:rolleyes:. You will look good in whatever you find to wear, but isn't it funny how none of the guys on here are pondering "what to wear"...why are we like that? These guys on here are so cool, and they are not going to post pictures of what Belinda had on;) (but do snap one of her shoes guys)!

Have an awesome day!
Phyllis:)

I hear some places are banning shopping in jammies. Thank goodness! LOL . . . the shoes won't be anything special. The cute shoes I found would be totally inappropriate for this gathering. :D

Craig D Peltier
05-09-2010, 11:09 AM
I finally have the opportunity to meet some fellow Creekers next weekend. I would really like to make a good impression and it crossed my mind today that my normal work uniform of tank top or T shirt, khaki shorts, and work boots might need to be revamped. So, I went to the mall . . . which for me is akin to having a root canal and a proctology exam at the same time. I only go to the mall when absolutely necessary, maybe twice a year. Todaymy opinion of the evils of a mall were confirmed. I spent an hour and a half and left empty handed. (I did try on some cute shoes though!) After the frustrating mall experience, and the even more frustrating experience of driving home, I now sit before the screen with a glass of Jack Daniels and my trusty debit card ready to shop online.

Please, powers that be, don't ever let anything happen to the Internet. Y'all wish me luck on that good impression thing, I'm going to need all the help I can get.

Ahhh Jack , he's such a good friend to all of us and the online shopping thingy..