PDA

View Full Version : Headboard

Steve Jenkins
05-07-2010, 5:18 PM
This is a headboard that I just made for us. It is Big leaf Maple with Wenge posts. The maple is about 2-3/8 thick. Started at 3-1/4 before I flattened it. I used a router and a bridge to flatten it.
the maple slab is about 35" at it's widest and 97" long.
We plan to replace the bedspread so don't take off points for that.:)

Abi Parris
05-07-2010, 6:02 PM
Like the more natural aspect... I really like how you kept the live edge. Find them much more interesting to the eye.

Michael Wildt
05-07-2010, 6:53 PM
I like it, very nice!

Steve Jenkins
05-07-2010, 8:19 PM
Thanks.
The more I look at it, both in the pic and in the room, it looks kind of leggy to me. I think I may shorten the legs about 6-8". I also am going to make a pair of nightstands that will attach to the posts.

Ted Calver
05-07-2010, 8:29 PM
Steve,
This is very appealing. I like the look and the concept. Is the wenge a glue up?

John Coloccia
05-07-2010, 8:57 PM
Thanks.
The more I look at it, both in the pic and in the room, it looks kind of leggy to me. I think I may shorten the legs about 6-8". I also am going to make a pair of nightstands that will attach to the posts.

+1. It seems way too tall to me as well. I love the look. Is that mortise and tenon or is headboard sitting in a channel in back of the legs?

Lee Koepke
05-07-2010, 9:17 PM
WOW. I am very impressed. (doubtful i could get my wife to buy off on it :( ) but that is seriously very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Mark Woodmark
05-07-2010, 10:11 PM
Very, very nice. I love the maple and the wenge is a good contrast

Steve King
05-07-2010, 10:41 PM
Wow, Steve that's awesome~!

J.R. Rutter
05-07-2010, 10:41 PM
Looks great Steve!

Jim O'Dell
05-07-2010, 11:24 PM
Steve, I'd suggest going maybe 2" at a time if possible. I know it's more work to repeat, but I'd hate to hide too much of that maple! I'm thinking 3 to 4" max. Jim.

Dave MacArthur
05-08-2010, 12:36 AM
I really like the slab of maple against the wenge. I did also think to myself, "that headboard looks a bit too high above the bed, I wonder if he has a pillow-mattress going in there or something?", just to back up your inclination. Really nice though. I also thought ,"that big natural slab was bold", in a good way, FWIW ;)

Steve Jenkins
05-08-2010, 8:51 AM
The legs are glued up and hollow. I used 3/4 solid stock and mitered the corners and mitered the top so you don't see any edge grain. I notched the back of the posts and scribed the notches to the natural shape of the maple edge.

Ken Garlock
05-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Beautiful work as usual, Steve.

I agree with you that the legs need to be shortened some. IMHO, the bottom edge of the headboard should not be seen.:confused:

I have been to Steve's shop several times. When I see his finished work I want to go home and beat my tools because they can't do even begin to do as well.:o On second thought, maybe it's the tool operator.:eek:

Steve Jenkins
05-10-2010, 8:30 AM
yesterday I cut 6" off the posts. That puts the bottom of the headboard right at the mattress top. with the pillows on you can't see the bottom except off to the side a bit. It looks much better. If I ever get the nightstands built I'll post another pic. thanks all.

Charlie Plesums
05-10-2010, 8:48 PM
I think you did the right thing. To me function top everything, and I hate losing pillows behind the bed! I would love to see the "after" picture.