PDA

View Full Version : Gloat of year!!! For me at least!!!

Kevin J Lalonde
05-07-2010, 4:20 PM
Ok so i'm looking through Craigs list and I see an ad for free lumber at road. Pack up the kids and lets go. I get there and another guy is just stepping out of his car. HE BEATS ME THERE BY 30 SECONDS!! I walk up to this pile of lumber. Aprox 100 board feet of 6x8x6 lumber. And about 50ft of 2x6 of this stuff. I'm thinking OH GOD he's got it all. But the Lord was on my side and the guy was kind enough to let me take the two largest pieces. Anyways I was away with all of this and he had a car that is riding on the rims full of this wood. I'm thinking cocobolo?? Definetly exotic. What's this stuff worth in this form? I"ll make one bowl and resaw the rest i guess. What to do guys?? What kinda wood here? Thanks

bob svoboda
05-07-2010, 4:41 PM
I'm thinking cocobolo too. Beautiful, whatever==nice score!

Mark Burge
05-07-2010, 4:46 PM
Sweet. I have no idea what the wood is though.

Mike Minto
05-07-2010, 4:52 PM
looks very much like cocobolo to me, too. what was the asking price for the wood, if you don't mind my asking. could help with the ID...

Bill Wilcox
05-07-2010, 4:53 PM
Looks like cocobolo to me also. The cream colored sapwood is just like some of the wood I have at home for making straight razor scales. Too bad he wouldn't split the pile with you. But some is better than none.
Nice haul!!!

Aaron Wingert
05-07-2010, 5:10 PM
Free cocobolo? Even though you didn't get the whole pile, let me be the first to tell you that YOU SUCK. There's a lot of money in that pile of two boards that you have there. A lot of money.

Kevin J Lalonde
05-07-2010, 5:38 PM
Mike, i paid NADA DIME!!

Mike Svoma
05-07-2010, 7:04 PM
It may be African Blackwood. Google it.

John W Dixon
05-07-2010, 7:14 PM
My first thought was Aaron's reply, You Suck!:D Glad you were able to get some of it. Very nice looking wood and should be fun to do lots of projects with.

John

Mike McAfee
05-07-2010, 7:33 PM
Looks poisonous but they say the California sun detoxifies it, send it out for the summer! I'll send back whatever comes clean!:rolleyes:

FREE wood on C list around here is busted up pallets and old roof shakes!

Great score!

MMc

David E Keller
05-07-2010, 7:39 PM
Looking at the pics on my phone... Images good enough to see that you suck!. Looks like it could be desert ironwood, kingwood, or cocobolo.... It doesn't change the fact that you suck!

Richard Madison
05-07-2010, 8:06 PM
Can be resawn into lumber for segmented work. Extra care with glue joints required if it is an oily exotic.

Bill Wyko
05-07-2010, 8:17 PM
Almost looks like Ironwood to me. Absolutely beautiful. Wanna sell it or trade it?:D

Bernie Weishapl
05-07-2010, 8:28 PM
Dunno but it is beautiful. Congrats.

Robert McGowen
05-07-2010, 8:43 PM
Having no idea where Kevin lives or where the wood actually originated, just a wild guess here. Being so thick and with that much sapwood, it looks like it was a tree that was split and somewhere I remember that imported wood could not have the bark on it. (Could absolutely be totally wrong on that.) That would make it domestic and therefore my guess........... Texas Ebony. Also, if someone had that much cocobolo, it seems like they would know what it was or what it was worth. A tree that they knocked down, on the other hand, maybe not. :cool: Have fun with it one way or the other!

Mike Minto
05-07-2010, 9:01 PM
FREE? I missed that first time around. YOU DO SUCK :eek:;):o.

Stephen Massman
05-08-2010, 8:24 AM
If you use the bowl from a board technique you could get lots of bowls from this wood and the sapwood on the sides would look great.

http://astroturnings.com/ has some examples of coco bowls.

There are lots of articles on bowl from a board and Tibbetts book had a section on it.

Stephen Massman
05-08-2010, 8:26 AM
live edge platters would be nice also.

Kevin J Lalonde
05-08-2010, 8:42 AM
WEll what is a man to say when all others tell him he sucks?? :D I'm not sure what was up with this wood. The ole man must have died and they were getting rid of his wood or a renter was kicked out of the house. I DONT CARE. Yeah it's obviously a whole tree, all four corners contain sapwood and the pith is in there somewhere, no bark included. The other guy left with a ton of flat working wood and a few larger pieces. He make guitars and was gonna try to do something with them. I gave him my number in case he wanted to sell some of it to me. I'm just gonna sit on it for a while till i get better at turning and have a hollowing rig. But we'll see......

Jeff Willard
05-08-2010, 3:33 PM
Too much red for blackwood. And I've never seen that much sap on ironwood-but I'm not gonna say it doesn't happen. It looks more like coco than ironwood though.

Karl Card
05-09-2010, 2:54 AM
all i can say is your suck worse than anything that has ever sucked before..... That was a hell of a find... difference between me and you tho is that I would sell none of it... i would have projects lined up for awhile... pen blanks, bowl blanks. everything...

once again tho great find...

kc

Allen Neighbors
05-09-2010, 9:16 AM
Looking at the pics close, and noting the sapwood, my guess would be some type of Rosewood. Indian, East Indian, West Indian, Cocobolo.... it's all rosewood... so the Cocobolo guess may be right on!

Paul Douglass
05-09-2010, 9:18 AM
I say ironwood. When you cut it if it smells terrible it is probably Ironwood.

Jeff Nicol
05-09-2010, 10:13 AM
Most everyone is correct that with that much on hand it would have to be a locally occuring tree. I did some quick research and every picture I could find of texas ebony looks just like what you have. No matter it is a great wood and hard to come by in nice lengths an chunks like yours. It is not cheap to buy either. Here is a picture of a lumber supplier that has texas ebony.

http://woodworldtx.com/products/domestic/texas-ebony/

Check there and many others to make sure but the look is the same. I hope to get to Texas some day soon and find some for myself!

Great haul,

Jeff