PDA

View Full Version : Carpet

Andrea Weissenseel
05-07-2010, 3:33 PM
this week I had to do car mats for a customer, so I got me some rest pieces of carpet for testing. Here is what comes out, if you have to much of them and time cause you're waiting for material :D I cutted the pieces into shape to puzzle them together and engraved the floral design on them. Too bad though that on the lighter parts the design does not have so much contrast like on the darker ones

Dan Hintz
05-07-2010, 8:35 PM
Except for the middle and upper right piece, the contrast is perfect for each color. Very unique. I've considered doing carpet in the past, but so far I have never had a "job" for one.

Dee Gallo
05-07-2010, 9:04 PM
Pretty neat idea, Andrea! So you cut all the way through for the outlines from the back and then engraved the designs on the front? Did the material just melt and discolor or did it actually disappear? It seems like if you dropped a cigarette on a carpet you'd get a melty burn mark. Is this standard car mat material?

I'm actually fascinated by the idea of cutting carpet - this is a very popular thing here which is pretty hard to do by hand but people love it. Where I used to work, we made hundreds of pounce patterns for the rug cutting guys who were constantly busy. I wonder how it would work on regular carpeting.

Thanks - last thing I needed was another procedure to play with:mad: just kidding :).

cheers, dee

Viktor Voroncov
05-08-2010, 2:56 AM
Great idea, good job! Will try to find and post pictures from one of my customers - engraving on fur :)

Andrea Weissenseel
05-08-2010, 5:11 AM
this is regular carpeting material, Dee. I cut it from the top, so engraving and cutting in one run. The back of the material is like felt and the surface is velour - it's like engraving on fleece, the surface gets melted a bit

This is a project I only did for myself with spare material and an idea back in my head - the engraving took over 6 hours for those 9 pieces, so this is just something to play with :D

Dan, that's what I meant, the middle and the upper right piece - at least I know now how it comes out on lighter colors. In reality you can see it a bit better though