View Full Version : Cordless Drill Opinions

Jim Summers
05-07-2010, 2:39 PM
Hello All,

I am in the market for a new cordless drill. The two I keep looking at are the:

Milwaukee 2601-22

and

Dewalt DCD760KL

Basically the same price. DeWalt as a little more rpms but they use an unknown to me torque spec. The Mil has 400in/lbs.

Will the rpms matter? I am drilling a lot of 3/8 holes in hard wood and running screws.

Opinions?

TIA

Prashun Patel
05-07-2010, 3:06 PM
"I am drilling a lot of 3/8 holes in hard wood and running screws."

Look into an impact driver + drill/driver combo kit.

Jim Summers
05-07-2010, 6:50 PM

That would be nice. I'll see what is out there.

Is 1400 vs. 1700 rpm significant?

Thanks

Jim Summers
05-07-2010, 6:53 PM

Also the drilling holes and running screws are two separate tasks. I use a dowelmax and that is when I am drilling a lot. And then screws are just during installs of various things.

Thanks Again!

Karl Brogger
05-07-2010, 9:44 PM
For a few extra bucks you can get a Panasonic. I've owned DeWalt, Makita, Milwaukee, and Panasonic. The Panasonic is a very good all around drill, and very dependable.

Lex Boegen
05-08-2010, 9:36 PM
My old Dewalt 12v drill died last year and I replaced it with a Makita 18v drill that uses Lithium-ion batteries. I'd never go back to the Ni-Cad batteries after using these. More power, less weight, no "memory" problems, and the battery charges in only fifteen minutes. Lithium-ion batteries cost more, but in my opinion they are worth every cent.

Dan Rude
05-08-2010, 11:24 PM
I picked up a Milwaukee 18v Drill and Impact driver for around $200. It is lighter than my 12v ridgid and allows more versitiliy. The Impact would not have any trouble driving your Lags. It is also great for removing those screws. The drill is excellent, It only has trouble with my big Iriwn speed bore bits, but no trouble with the smaller ones. I use it alot for pocket scews. The charge meter on the batteries is great. It is also true they last until they die. The Makita is similar.

Greg Peterson
05-09-2010, 12:17 AM
I picked up a 18V Dewalt Drill/Driver and Impact driver recently. The impact driver and its battery weighs 2.8 pounds. An older 18V Dewalt battery weighs 2.5 pounds.

I also have a Ryobi 18V LiIon set. It's nice and has served me well the past couple of e years. But the DeWalt is in a whole other class.

Eiji Fuller
05-09-2010, 2:31 AM
Makita impact for driving screws. They are sweet! For the drill festools are amazing. If you dont want to pony up that kind of cash for the t-15 (I won mine) Panasonic drills are second only to the t-15. Panasonic is far superior to any dewalt, makita, milwaukee. Ive used them all. Panasonics are better built, have superior chucks, better motors, and have better batteries. Obviously My Opinion. :)

Alan Lightstone
05-09-2010, 8:39 AM
I have the Bosch 36V Lithium Cordless 1/2" Drill / Driver. It's a beast, but there's nothing it won't do. Great for the hammer drill function into cinder block.

Its RPM range is only 0 - 1500, if that helps. It weighs 5.6 pounds. If you do a lot of overhead work, you'll get buff.:D

Jim Summers
05-09-2010, 10:24 AM
I picked up a Milwaukee 18v Drill and Impact driver for around $200. It is lighter than my 12v ridgid and allows more versitiliy. The Impact would not have any trouble driving your Lags. It is also great for removing those screws. The drill is excellent, It only has trouble with my big Iriwn speed bore bits, but no trouble with the smaller ones. I use it alot for pocket scews. The charge meter on the batteries is great. It is also true they last until they die. The Makita is similar.

What do you think about it's drilliing capabilities? I use a dowelmax, so I am drilling a lot of 3/8" holes in hardwoods. Since it has a max rpm of 1400 I was a little unsure of how it would do in that respect. My benchtop drill press has a guide that recommends 1700 rpm for 3/8 in hardwood so I am not sure.

But I have also read that the M18 is very powerful so maybe it would do fine at 1400? This is not my only use for the drill. If it was I would probably look at corded or standard size cordless.

Which I may do the later and see what is in the combo kits for those.

What has me a little concerned is that I have seen some reviews that say it has some overload protection for the battery and can shutoff right in the middle of an operation. Once it cools or whatever it goes again.

Any experiences like that?

Thanks

Jim Summers
05-10-2010, 12:03 AM
Anyone have experiences with the rumors of M18 lion Milwaukee batteries/drill shutting down when they get hot? Seems like it could be bothersome if it happened in the middle of a drilling operation.

Thanks