PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic Jointers from Italy

robert stover
05-07-2010, 2:33 PM
Is anyone familiar with Powermatic Jointers from Italy, models FS-430 16" wide or FS-305 12"? One of each of these is listed on Ebay.

Gregory Stahl
05-07-2010, 4:58 PM
I'm watching the 16" jointer--the FS430. Not yet certain if I'll pay $3k for it--would want to know if I can re-wire to 208--though I expect I can.

The FS-305 is overpriced, in my opinion. I have seen several go in the past 6 months or so in the $1100-1500 range.

Nice jointers. I want the 16" as it is among the longest beds made. I would like to make custom doors on the side.

Greg Stahl

Jeff Duncan
05-07-2010, 9:40 PM
Not familiar with Powermatic although I know Delta had some of it's Industrial line (the real industrial line, not the junk branded that today) made in Italy years ago. There are and were quite a few Italian manufacturers and back several decades it wasn't uncommon to import a machine and slap the name tag on.
3k isn't bad for a 16" jointer depending on quality and age. I paid $2700 for my Italian machine, though it's a nice machine in good shape. These days things are selling a bit cheaper though. The 16" Delta/Invicta's are pretty long for newer machines, somewhere around 113" I think? And if you like older, the Oliver 166's are in the 110" neighborhood I believe.
good luck,
JeffD

Jeff Duncan
05-07-2010, 10:43 PM
OK just saw the Powermatic on E-bay...that machine looks to be made by SAC. I don't have any of their machines myself, but their reputation is very good. Far superior to any of the modern Powermatic stuff.
good luck,
JeffD

Steve Schoene
05-08-2010, 6:16 AM
When you see that it needs 208 volt service that is saying that you need three phase electricity. You can't "rewire" to get that unless you are in an industrial zone where it is provided. You can however buy a converter that creates the three phase current.

Peter Quinn
05-08-2010, 7:17 AM
I've used an FS-305 12" at work. It was the main jointer in our mill room until a year or two ago when it was replaced with a 20" import. Its a good solid basic machine. The one I was using has a lot of hard milage on but still works well. We have several others in use and frankly it was always my least favorite to set up and use. At that price point I would not be jumping up and down. SCMI makes a few models I see used now and then that have a much nicer blanchard ground table which is real smooth for passing wide heavy boards. The PM table has to be really well waxed to keep things moving or it gets grabby and hard to push. It is heavy, so shipping will be a consideration depending on your location.

Gregory Stahl
05-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Yup--I have 208 3P at my shop.

[QUOTE=Steve Schoene;1417934]When you see that it needs 208 volt service that is saying that you need three phase electricity. QUOTE]