PDA

View Full Version : got my first table saw

Bob Riefer
05-07-2010, 2:00 PM
JTAS-10XL-1 #708661

The master woodworker that taught the week long course that I completed recently is selling one of his table saws (his insurance is requiring that he have one sawstop model since he teaches students).

Since I was trained on this exact saw, and did a week's worth of building a table on this exact saw, and it's all setup with outfeed table and fence system etc., and since I just trust this man in terms of getting a fair price for a quality item..

well, I bought it. We're also going to be moving into a new house soon, so he'll keep it for awhile until we get situated.

$1300. I know I could probably shop around and find a slightly better deal. Or I could buy a more entry level saw. But for the reasons above, and because I'll never outgrow it, I think I have made a good decision.

What say you Sawmill Creek?

Prashun Patel
05-07-2010, 2:05 PM
"$1300. I know I could probably shop around and find a slightly better deal. Or I could buy a more entry level saw. But for the reasons above, and because I'll never outgrow it, I think I have made a good decision."

Fugitaboutit! You got a beautiful saw that you love from a guy you trust. Happy cutting.

Think about it this way: You could spend $500 of your time to get a saw for $900 and you'd still be better off... (at least this is how I rationalize such purchases to my wife.)

glenn bradley
05-07-2010, 2:11 PM
I'm with Shawn. A reliable tool previously owned by someone who knows how to treat them. You should be good. Congrats.

Joe Leigh
05-07-2010, 2:37 PM
JTAS-10XL-1 #708661
.....his insurance is requiring that he have one sawstop model since he teaches students.

I thought this was interesting. Sounds like the table saw police are mobilizing.

Anyway, great saw at a great price! This qualifies as an official gloat.

Jason White
05-07-2010, 4:19 PM
I'd talk him down. I bought a new Grizzly cabinet saw last year for slightly less than that much shipped.

Jason

JTAS-10XL-1 #708661

The master woodworker that taught the week long course that I completed recently is selling one of his table saws (his insurance is requiring that he have one sawstop model since he teaches students).

Since I was trained on this exact saw, and did a week's worth of building a table on this exact saw, and it's all setup with outfeed table and fence system etc., and since I just trust this man in terms of getting a fair price for a quality item..

well, I bought it. We're also going to be moving into a new house soon, so he'll keep it for awhile until we get situated.

$1300. I know I could probably shop around and find a slightly better deal. Or I could buy a more entry level saw. But for the reasons above, and because I'll never outgrow it, I think I have made a good decision.

What say you Sawmill Creek?

Brendan Plavis
05-07-2010, 4:27 PM
I like it..... But might I ask what the dual mitre guages are for? I assume that its just a spare, but figured I would ask, since I have never seen anyone use two at a time(I perfer to stay on one side of the sharp spinny thing.... :eek:)

She is a beut though.....

If you decide the house cannot fit it, I am sure I would have room for it... :cool: lol...

-Brendan

John A. Callaway
05-07-2010, 4:29 PM
1300 hundred with fence and tables already to go... great deal.

Adam Strong
05-07-2010, 4:33 PM
I'm with John... for a nice dialed in TS you got a decent deal. That one will last you a long time.

Bob Riefer
05-07-2010, 4:34 PM
Hey guys, thanks for all the input. I figured since the machine is a single-owner saw owned by a conscientious professional, and that pro is the one that taught me what I know so far, and since it has been customized and includes fence... I didn't feel good about haggling because I felt comfortable with the deal and trust him. Glad it sounds like you all agree :-)

Paul Wunder
05-07-2010, 4:47 PM
Bob,

Best of luck with the new table saw. Happy sawdust making!! Just think: All the time that you could have spent looking around for "deal" can now be spent actually making something. Good luck also in your new home.

Paul

Chip Lindley
05-08-2010, 1:00 AM
Buy Once Cry Once! Great saw for your very first one. $1300 may be a bit high, but you know it's a good saw, already tuned up! And, there is no chance for a trucking company to bash it in transit! Just make sure it doesn't bail over the side of your truck or trailer when you do move it! Two of those big yellow ratcheting tie-down straps are cheap insurance.!

Van Huskey
05-08-2010, 1:21 AM
$2200 saw, which is VERY tricked out if you look at the picture, own by someone who probably cares for his stuff. $1300 is a very solid deal, period.

I assume it comes with the overhead guard since it has the on-off switch on it. Anyone quibbling over this price may not be fully considering the mods and/or the shape the saw appears to be in.

First thing I would do is add some dust collection to the guard.

Greg Peterson
05-08-2010, 11:38 AM
I'm with Van. $1,300 for the saw and accouterments pictured? Plus not packing grease and assembly required. A true bargain.

I wouldn't think twice about it. You got a very good deal. Very, very good.

Myk Rian
05-08-2010, 12:01 PM
Just make sure it doesn't bail over the side of your truck or trailer when you do move it! Two of those big yellow ratcheting tie-down straps are cheap insurance.!
Who would do a thing like that? :D

Bob Riefer
05-08-2010, 2:40 PM
Thanks again guys. Like my signature says, I'm TOTALLY new to this, but I am planning to be deeply involved from here on out. So I'm learning every day, but don't have years of tool buying experience to call on. Like I said though, I trust the man I'm buying from and it sounds like I'm getting a fair shake at a saw I won't outgrow :-)

Joe Shinall
05-09-2010, 1:42 AM
Who would do a thing like that? :D

Haha!

On another note. That's a great deal. Yeah you may be able to find another saw somewhere cheaper but you and the saw have history together which means a lot to many people. I still have my first car from when I was 16!

Karl Card
05-09-2010, 5:37 AM
I thought this was interesting. Sounds like the table saw police are mobilizing.

Anyway, great saw at a great price! This qualifies as an official gloat.

yep complete with pictures.....oh hell yeah...

Terry Welty
05-09-2010, 7:08 AM
I'll bid $1350... Great Saw... Betcha if you have any trouble with it... he'll be there for you. You did good, Grasshopper!!

Bob Riefer
05-09-2010, 8:55 AM
"grasshopper"

ha ha, too funny.. I had a guy working for me that I took under my wing, and I'd always call him "young grasshoppa" when I gave him sage advice.

David Helm
05-09-2010, 2:28 PM
I owned a slightly older version of that saw. It got seriously damaged in a hit and run accident. It is a very good saw and 1300 as set up is a very good price.

Greg Peterson
05-09-2010, 4:47 PM
I owned a slightly older version of that saw. It got seriously damaged in a hit and run accident. It is a very good saw and 1300 as set up is a very good price.

I like my table saw too, but I don't take out of the garage.

scott spencer
05-10-2010, 1:36 AM
That's a heck of a first table saw Bob! Keep a good sharp blade on it, and it'll serve you well. Congrats!

Don Morris
05-10-2010, 11:14 AM
My first one was a contractor TS. You're starting out at the top. You've got a winner. With all the extras...and you know it's in great shape...start figuring which grandchild gets it.

Joseph Tarantino
05-10-2010, 6:51 PM
if you haven't taken ownership yet, i'd reconsider. see those three letters on the saw.....J E T...that's reason enough to avoid it. my jet experience has been that they are tools that are long on promise, short on delivery and high on price. i wouldn't purchase another walter meier company tool (parent of jet and powermatic, among others) at any price. "cavet emptor" on this one to be sure.

Paul McGaha
05-10-2010, 8:45 PM
Bob,

I think that is a heck of a first saw and fairly priced. Far better than my first table saw (A Rigid Contractors Saw from Home Depot).

PHM