PDA

View Full Version : recommendation for cordless drill

Carlos Alden
05-07-2010, 1:56 PM
All right, brain trust time:

I've had a B&D cordless screwdriver for a number of years. It's okay, but it runs out of juice after a few hours of use. I really enjoy getting at drilling and screws with my corded drill, and would like to get a cordless drill/driver. However, I have never had a good cordless tool so have no idea where to start.

Needs: Primarily light drilling and lots of anticipated screwdriver uses, lots of this on a sailboat (i.e., holes in aluminum, wood, and fiberglass), lots around the house, some in the shop for quick attachment of fasteners for jigs, maybe. I do NOT want this for any kind of construction or pro use. I have my corded drill and drill press for anything that needs serious taming. It will NOT be used straight for hours (maybe on and off, but not continuously.)

What do y'all recommend? Size, maker, voltage system, etc. Or better yet, tell me what to avoid.

I like good tools that feel right when in use and that will last a long time.

Thanks for your ideas,
Carlos

Victor Robinson
05-07-2010, 2:00 PM
Ever use an impact driver? They're a little noisy, but really helpful for screws when you can't get good leverage.

Van Huskey
05-07-2010, 2:10 PM
First off I would seriously consider an impact driver if screwing is the major portion of what you want to do you WANT one whether you know it or not.

Plus you may want to include a budget if there is one since there is a lot of variation in prices.

John Henry Newman
05-07-2010, 2:11 PM
I second the vote for an impact driver. I have had a 14.4V Makita for several years and love it. As the batteries are going on that one, I just ordered from Amazon what appears to be a very nice deal on the 18V drill/impact driver combo in my title.

Link (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001F7BIMG/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER)

Myk Rian
05-07-2010, 2:16 PM
I have a cheap corded impact driver for the rare times I use it.

My next cordless drill will be a Ryobi 18 volt LiIon. The reviews are good, and the cordless trimmer I bought uses that battery.
Had to get rid of the gas trimmer because the spark can interfere with my pacemaker.

Kyle Iwamoto
05-07-2010, 2:22 PM
My 2 cents if you're going to sail around, is to get the Craftsman 19.2V set. They offer a lot of different tools that use the same battery. Recip saw is handy, flashlights fan, radio etc. I have about 7 things that use the same battery. If you sail around, you'll just need to find a Sears to get a new battery or charger. It's not the greatest drill, but it's not the worst. And the drill is relatively cheap. A 2 battery drill and impact driver set was just on sale for 135 bucks. Drop it overboard and you can find a replacement at the nearest Sears.

An impact driver is only useful for driving long screws into wood. It doesn't have quite the slow speed control if you want to do smallish screws. It really does excel at driving long screws though. You'll need to get both.

Tom Godley
05-07-2010, 7:58 PM
I bought a Makita set -- drill and impact . They are a great small size and the Li batteries last forever on a charge

Michael Heffernan
05-07-2010, 8:06 PM
+1 for the Makita 18v Lithium Ion Drill/Impact Driver set. It comes with the two speed drill with clutch, impact driver, two batteries and charger. Home Depot has it on special now that includes a flashlight that works with the batteries.
I use my set all the time. It's nice to have both; for drilling and then screwing with the impact driver. They have plenty of torque and the batteries keep a charge for a long time.

Ray Newman
05-07-2010, 8:14 PM
I think you may need to take a "culture trip." That is visit all the Big Box stores and other outlets that sell tools and pick up the various battery operated drill and impact tools on the market.

I did this when I looked for a replacement for my ol' B&D. I soon found several that did not feel right in my hand for various and sundry reasons. I finally selected a Makita lithium battery unit.

Adam Moore
05-08-2010, 7:16 AM
It sounds like you really only need something small. Live 10.8 or 12V. I'd say look at the Bosch PS20 (or the new PS21) the PS30 (or the new PS31) and the PS40. You'd be surprised how comfortable, tough, powerful, and cool thes little guys are.

I was in a similar situation as you about 6 months ago. Decided to "downsize" my drill/driver because most of what I was using it for was small jobs and I absolutely love this Bosch PS line.

scott allen
05-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Keep in mind that Ridgid offers a free lifetime service agreement if you register your tool within a certain period of time (30 days?) - this agreement covers batteries, which are usually the first thing to go.

Charles Krieger
05-08-2010, 2:44 PM
I have an old (18 years) 9.6V Makita that just won't die. I did buy another battery for it about five years ago and it just keeps ticking. This old beast still has enough torque to break deck screws!

That performance convinced me to buy an 18V Makita drill when I decided to buy a new one. I am pleased with the new one. Batteries hold charge well, recharge quickly and the drill has excellent torque. The light which I expected to be useless is actually a good feature. I now use both drills, one to drill pilot holes and the other to set the screws.

My only complaint on the new 18V (Model BDF452) is a slightly off center chuck which results in a few thousandth's runout but it is a minor complaint.

I think you would be happy with the Makita!

I am no way associated with Makita or any sales or distributer of Makita. Just a happy customer.

Robert Chapman
05-08-2010, 5:11 PM
+1 on any of the Boschs. I have a couple and really like them.

william Burton
05-08-2010, 6:16 PM
I've found the Makitas to be good. Have both the 18 and 10.8

Keith Westfall
05-08-2010, 8:11 PM
I picked up one of the new Ridged 18V yesterday. Haven't used it much but seems to have lots of power and pretty rugged.

michael osadchuk
05-08-2010, 9:47 PM
+1 for the Makita 18v Lithium Ion Drill/Impact Driver set. It comes with the two speed drill with clutch, impact driver, two batteries and charger. Home Depot has it on special now that includes a flashlight that works with the batteries.
I use my set all the time. It's nice to have both; for drilling and then screwing with the impact driver. They have plenty of torque and the batteries keep a charge for a long time.

I also have this set and like it a lot..... for sailboat use you will particularly like the very small size of both units; it will get you into tight places and the built in led light on the work has the nice feature of staying on for 5 or so seconds after releasing the trigger on drill motor.....lots of positive reviews on both the drill and the impact driver on the web

good luck

michael

Bruce Wrenn
05-08-2010, 10:03 PM
I bought a Ridgid 12 volt LI drill when they first came out. Now I own five of them. Guess that tells how I feel about them. But I understand I'm getting a FesTool cordless, courtesy of Wood Magazine.

Rich Engelhardt
05-09-2010, 7:20 AM
I have my corded drill and drill press for anything that needs serious taming. It will NOT be used straight for hours (maybe on and off, but not continuously.)

I upgraded my B&D (18V Firestorm) cordless drill/driver to a DeWalt NiCad (18V) a couple of years ago.
Honestly, there isn't any difference at all between the two in terms of power & speed - with a full charge in the battery of course.
That's where the DeWalt wins hands down. The DeWalt goes easily four times longer than the B&D did brand new. Now, after a few years, the B&D batteries are lucky to make it 15 min.

(To be perfectly honest, I actually like the Firestorm better than the DeWalt because of a couple of features is has.)
((but - having said that - the weak spot of any of the lower end stuff is the keyless chuck - the DeWalt never slips - the Firestorm slips a lot under a very heavy load)

Last year, I also stumbled on a great deal at Lowes. They'd marked down the Dremel LiIon cordless driver to $29.00, so I gobbled one up.

The whole point of this long winded post is - whatever you get, make sure it uses LiIon - or - can be converted over to using LiIon.

With either the B&D or the DeWalt, I have to plan ahead to make sure i have a good charge in the battery.
The little Dremel always seems to be ready to go, no matter how long it's been sitting around.
If it does seem a little sluggish, 10/15 min in it's charger-cradle is all it takes to bring it up to full speed.

Alan Lightstone
05-09-2010, 8:30 AM
If just looking for a screwdriver, I like the Milwaukee. (The adjustable torque settings are very important to have).

I love the size and torque of my Bosch driver PS20, but it lacks the torque settings.

Charlie Kocourek
05-09-2010, 2:22 PM
I got the Bosch 18V Li-ion drill/driver combo set for Christmas. It was about $199. Both pieces are awesome.

I also looked at a comparble Milwaukee drill driver set and I think that is probably about as good.

My only quibble with the Bosch is that there is no way to store bits on the drill or driver. They each have a little clip that is supposed to hold bits, but it does not work.

James Malcolm
05-09-2010, 3:00 PM
Unless you're a professional whom is using the tools all day, every day, I'd recommend Ryobi. I've had my combo kit for 4 years and while they're definitely the same quality as the higher brands, they work perfectly fine. The trim router doesn't hold it's depth setting, the circular saw is underpowered, the hand vac doesn't suck very well, but the drill and the impact driver have been awesome. I've driven 3.5" screws in 150yr old logs with the impact driver without a sweat.

At 1/2 to 1/4 the price of the higher end brands, I can go through two to four of these sets and still not pay as much as I would have for a Makita, Milwaukee or Dewault set. You can purchase them individually and or in a kit and they all use the same battery. I have the regular old ni-cad batteries; I'm sure the Li-ion are awesome.

Erik Frederiksen
05-09-2010, 5:36 PM
I've used Makitas for a few years now and like them well enough. Finally broke down and bought a Festool T-15. What a drill!

http://www.festoolusa.com/products/cordless-drills/t-153-lithium-ion-cordless-drill-set-564250.html

Brian Cover
05-09-2010, 6:33 PM
Being a contractor, I use my cordless a lot every day. Ryobi is junk, I tried one a couple years ago and returned it the next day. Dewalt is ok for a homeowner, but for serious all day work on a boat, it may not be the best choice. I had a Dewalt and sold it. Driving wood screws requires a lot of torque and will drain the batteries and strain the motors on the cheap junk. Milwaukee and Makita are the only 2 real quality brands left. I have the Milwaukee and I really like the feature of reverse mounting the battery to allow the drill to reach and fit in tight places. The Milwaukee will do the job for you for many years. If I was buying a new set, I would seriously consider the Makita as well. As is, I am heavily invested in Milwaukee cordless sawzalls, cordless circular saws, cordless drills and impact drills, so I will not be switching brands any time soon. My contractor friends with the Makita tools are as happy with their drills as I am with mine. The Milwaukee drives large, long wood screws faster and does more of them with a single battery than any other brand I have seen or tried. I loan my extra drills to my helpers so that they can keep up the pace with me when running in a lot of screws.

Eiji Fuller
05-09-2010, 7:17 PM
Being a contractor, I use my cordless a lot every day. Ryobi is junk, I tried one a couple years ago and returned it the next day. Dewalt is ok for a homeowner, but for serious all day work on a boat, it may not be the best choice. I had a Dewalt and sold it. Driving wood screws requires a lot of torque and will drain the batteries and strain the motors on the cheap junk. Milwaukee and Makita are the only 2 real quality brands left. I have the Milwaukee and I really like the feature of reverse mounting the battery to allow the drill to reach and fit in tight places. The Milwaukee will do the job for you for many years. If I was buying a new set, I would seriously consider the Makita as well. As is, I am heavily invested in Milwaukee cordless sawzalls, cordless circular saws, cordless drills and impact drills, so I will not be switching brands any time soon. My contractor friends with the Makita tools are as happy with their drills as I am with mine. The Milwaukee drives large, long wood screws faster and does more of them with a single battery than any other brand I have seen or tried. I loan my extra drills to my helpers so that they can keep up the pace with me when running in a lot of screws.

Sounds like a contractor who hasnt used a Panasonic or Festool drill.

Carlos Alden
05-10-2010, 12:27 PM
to every responder. Lots of good information. I've got a few to look at.

Carlos

Erik Christensen
05-10-2010, 1:29 PM
I have had a number of cordless driver/drills in the past -

a makita that lasted for over a decade until i gave it away - battery was pretty much gone but if you charged it that day it would still do some light stuff - tuff and reliable

a dewalt 18 volt ni-cad - about 5 years ago. used heavily & taken great care of - never left the battery on the charger overnight. great drill - good balance, nice trigger control, decent torque settings. when the battery's started getting a bit worn I gave it to a buddy and got a new drill vs having the batts rebuilt - kinda regret that now

next up - sears 18 volt ni-cad - driver/drill and right angle drill that both use the same battery pack. works OK - a bit hefty/bulky compared to the dewalt but does the job. got this set as I was going to try another buddy's advice about cordless - he said "buy cheap as they all work about the same and when the battery get weak get a whole new drill for the same cost as a high end battery module". sounded good so I figured i'd try it.

then finally -

festool T15-3. OMG what a drill! price is WAY beyond ridiculous but man does it work great. the brush-less design means this thing is very small and lightweight; but it can drive like an 18V with a small 15V Li pack. the electronic clutch is awesome and i got the accessory depth chuck which works better than the one on my commercial milwalkee drywall screwgun - set screw depth in 0.1 mm increments & even #6 1/2" screws in softwood are perfectly set, every time, at full speed.

so all I use now is the festool... but I still have the craftsman in a drawer for when friends/neighbors want to borrow a drill

Van Huskey
05-10-2010, 1:29 PM

Agree, the Panny is probably the best I have had in my hands, the Festool is more flexible but for all day everyday work I would take the Panasonic, even over the Festool.

Frederick Gross
05-10-2010, 3:47 PM
+1....both are excellent drills

Jim Summers
05-10-2010, 7:01 PM
Agree, the Panny is probably the best I have had in my hands, the Festool is more flexible but for all day everyday work I would take the Panasonic, even over the Festool.

Which Panny's are ya'll using? The 15.6V with the 3.5A/hr batt?

This one? Panasonic EY6432GQKW 15.6-Volt NiMH 1/2-Inch

Thanks

Jim Summers
05-11-2010, 9:31 AM
Do the panasonics have a good charging system? If I end up going that route with the NiMh batteries, I would like to be able to keep a battery on the charger all the time. So I am hoping it has a good trickle charger or something like that.

Thanks

Dennis Lopeman
05-11-2010, 9:41 AM
If you are only doing "light" work type stuff, take a look at the Bosch 12v series. I have a two different models and the are TOUGH!!! I'm pretty sure I could screw in a good 10x10 deck with it... plus I have 3 batteries. They only take about 1/2 hour to fully recharge (LION)!! And talk about saving my wrists from holding a heavy one all the time. Also, since they are light and small they are more versatile...

I got a good deal, buy one get one... the second didn't have a battery, but the first one came with two, so I was fine anyway! They have a line of tools that use the same batteries, including a drill. Go to their website and check them out. And read some reviews. I read a gazillion and I think folks were quite satisfied with the Bosch line!

Dennis Lopeman
05-11-2010, 9:43 AM
oh - and I think I got the bosch for $99 - with that promotion! Great deal in my book!

brian corwin
05-11-2010, 11:02 AM
Out of curiosity, how is it possible to check in a hand drill that there is a runout of a few thousandths on a chuck?

B

... My only complaint on the new 18V (Model BDF452) is a slightly off center chuck which results in a few thousandth's runout but it is a minor complaint.

I think you would be happy with the Makita!

I am no way associated with Makita or any sales or distributer of Makita. Just a happy customer.

Eiji Fuller
05-11-2010, 11:27 AM
Do the panasonics have a good charging system? If I end up going that route with the NiMh batteries, I would like to be able to keep a battery on the charger all the time. So I am hoping it has a good trickle charger or something like that.

Thanks

Panasonic makes a good portion of the batteries for all the cordless tools out there. I think they would keep the best for themselves.

Jim Summers
05-11-2010, 12:15 PM
Out of curiosity, how is it possible to check in a hand drill that there is a runout of a few thousandths on a chuck?

B

Good question. All I can think of is a pretty complicated setup with a dial indicator and a metal rod chucked in.