Mitchell Andrus
05-07-2010, 1:10 PM
No gloat here fellas.... move along.

Top 40 ways to explore your inner self:

http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/convertibles/2994713/story.html

My choice:

Jon Lanier
05-07-2010, 2:05 PM
Strange how we move on from things to things in life. Rather than cruzing around in a vehicle like that. I'd rather spend a nice day in the shop with the door open.

Does this mean I'm getting old? :confused:

Horton Brasses
05-07-2010, 2:26 PM
Bugatti Veyron convertible? Sure, that'd be a nice way to spend any day regardless of weather. It is AWD after all.

Mitchell Andrus
05-07-2010, 2:33 PM
Strange how we move on from things to things in life. Rather than cruzing around in a vehicle like that. I'd rather spend a nice day in the shop with the door open.

Yes, Jon. Yes it does.

Mitchell Andrus
05-07-2010, 2:35 PM
My HS cars aren't on the list. In '74-'75 I had a '64 Jag E-Type and a '64 MGB, both drop heads.

Belinda Barfield
05-07-2010, 2:56 PM
Move south Mitchell, it's topless season here almost year round.

Rod Sheridan
05-07-2010, 3:22 PM

I asked Diann if it was topless season yet here and she says it's still too cool unless maybe you go topless at the mall where it's warmer.......Rod.

Lee Schierer
05-07-2010, 3:28 PM
I plan on going topless on the way home tonight.http://www.tirerack.com/images/wheelrack/car_images//Mazda/Miata_96/Miata_96.14.Red.gif Zoom Zoom

Horton Brasses
05-07-2010, 3:35 PM
Mazda Miata may just offer the more fun for the $ than anything with wheels and a motor. As one guy I met, who had driven his Miata to me in a snowstorm said: "the most fun you can have with your clothes on". He had studded tires on his-which I thought was cool.

Mitchell Andrus
05-07-2010, 3:54 PM

I'm moving to Mills River, NC in about 2 weeks. Almost south enough.

Mitchell Andrus
05-07-2010, 3:58 PM
I know a fella who traded his Corvette for a Miata. Said the Corvette was fun, but a handful and twitchy just pulling into the garage. Took too much attention and needed to be parked too far from the store's entrance, insurance cost too much, had to constantly set the alarm, etc., etc.....

In the Miata he's got a fun car that he can toss into a corner without worrying about every little nick and scratch. Better on gas too.

My MGB was like that. Care-free fun.

Belinda Barfield
05-07-2010, 6:01 PM
Said the Corvette was fun, but a handful and twitchy just pulling into the garage.

Ridiculous! I loved all three of my Vettes. They were a dream to drive. Living in Savannah I wouldn't have one as an "every day" car though.

Glenn Vaughn
05-07-2010, 6:42 PM
Here is my choice - no longer made. 2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP.

Mitchell Andrus
05-07-2010, 7:05 PM

Hang onto it and keep it in good shape. I think this is a sleeper for the future generation yet to discover it.

Keith Outten
05-07-2010, 7:44 PM
My Topless Entry :)

Here is my JD 4105 with less than 4 hours on the meter and 4WD too :)
I might be an "old redneck", is that possible?
And.....don't you be eyeballin my tractor barn boys and girls.

Jason Roehl
05-07-2010, 7:50 PM

Perhaps you're just not fully aware of the specifications behind the Veyron?

8.0L, W-16 engine (yes, that's a dubya, not a typo) 987 bhp, 406km/h top speed.

Yeah, I'd drive that thing in a heartbeat--even if it meant I had to spend a night in the graybar hotel afterwards! :D

Tom Winship
05-07-2010, 8:11 PM
My Topless Entry :)

Here is my JD 4105 with less than 4 hours on the meter and 4WD too :)
I might be an "old redneck", is that possible?
And.....don't you be eyeballin my tractor barn boys and girls.
+1 Keith. Mine is 5 years old and has 68 hours on it. Never spent a nite under the stars.;)

Mitchell Andrus
05-08-2010, 7:52 AM
Yeah, I'd drive that thing in a heartbeat--even if it meant I had to spend a night in the graybar hotel afterwards! :D

I'd be in traction.

Building the W-16:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q34xIzTj8fQ

Dennis Peacock
05-08-2010, 10:57 AM
Here's my topless way to go. :D
This is also my daily commuter to/from work. < $25 a month on gas. :)

Dave Ogren
05-08-2010, 2:25 PM
Mitchell,

I saw in another post that you had bought a home in NC about 1/2 hour south of Asheville and I wondered where. Mills River is just down the street from me. Our wood turners club meets on the 3rd. Sat. of the month about 15 miles from Mills River.

If you are interested in cars I can help you out there also.

Feel free to contact me and I will be happy to show you around. My number is (828) 275-3283

Hope your move is a pleasant one.

Good Luck,

Dave

Mitchell Andrus
05-08-2010, 2:49 PM
Mills River absorbed Horse Shoe a little while before we closed. The zip code changed and was a PITA for a while. We're just off 64 on Tole Allison Rd. Nice area. Once the dust clears we'll do a Creeker's visit, bring your suit, 5 person hot tub. Had Rob Payne over in Oct(?)

I've been down 5 times getting the shop set up and painting a few rooms. Hendersonville is really home base. Nice restaurants, Mike's on Main is cool. The new lunch counter is marble... it was installed in 1915.

Ray Bell
05-08-2010, 4:00 PM
I'd be in traction.

Building the W-16:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q34xIzTj8fQ

Look at the crank shaft on that. That looks like one beautifully made complicated, engine.

Keith Outten
05-09-2010, 6:41 AM
+1 Keith. Mine is 5 years old and has 68 hours on it. Never spent a nite under the stars.;)

Tom,

Your not getting enough seat time :)
I gave my Kubota BX with loader to Aaron when I got the new Deere. We have been working this weekend building custom mounts for a new mower deck for the Kubota, all I have to do is cut and weld the back brackets this morning to finish. I guess this means that Aaron now has two convertibles, he also owns a Toyota Spyder.

When I was young I owned a MG Midget and then a MGB, both were great cars for a young single guy :)

Bob Borzelleri
05-12-2010, 11:15 AM
These are my current topless mounts.

Paul Atkins
05-12-2010, 1:57 PM
Here's mine. Project #2,457, but gets me around.

Horton Brasses
05-12-2010, 3:21 PM
Look at the crank shaft on that. That looks like one beautifully made complicated, engine.

Every part in the engine and the entire car is custom more or less. From what they said on Top Gear-VW sells the Bugatti for over $1 million and still loses money. Really just a design and engineering exercise carried to the fullest. An ode to inefficiency, fossil fuels, and lack of shareholder activism maybe. Probably the last thing that will ever be built like it, for better or worse.

Keith Outten
11-21-2010, 5:28 PM

Glenn,

A couple of weeks ago I was able to purchase a 2007 Solstice convertible with 19,700 miles on it..........great little roadster :)

Rod Torgeson
11-21-2010, 7:10 PM
Here is my topless rig. Nice thing about it is I can go topless year around as you can see.

Rod<---in Appleton, WA

Art Mulder
11-21-2010, 7:16 PM
Mazda Miata may just offer the more fun for the $ than anything with wheels and a motor.

I had a ride in a Miata once... being 6'3" I can report that the Miata is a totally undrivable for someone my height. I'll stick with my bike, I guess...

Dan Hintz
11-21-2010, 7:39 PM
Here's my current ride (in Black Cherry w/Wine interior and Bordeaux top):
http://jdmwallpapers.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/nissan-370z-convertible.jpg

Attached is my first topless ride at a photoshoot about two years ago (an S2000 with a molded-in bodykit and custom candy paint)...

Scott Shepherd
11-21-2010, 7:44 PM
Dan, regarding the photo at the bottom.......

Me likey :D

David G Baker
11-21-2010, 9:58 PM
Keith,
Mine is 45 years old, 2 wheel drive and has close to 5000 hours on it, 1000 of which I put on it on my 5 acre plot. JD 2010.
When I was a kid I had my heart set on a 1953 or 1954 Vet 6 cylinder not sure of the year. Tried to raise the money but couldn't come up with the $900 asking price.

Bob Rufener
11-22-2010, 4:28 PM
This would have been a sweet ride. Apparently, Oldsmobile built this concept car in 1954 but the Chevy division campaigned against it as they were building the Corvette. Information is here: http://www.gatewayautomuseum.com/cars-and-galleries/f-88-gallery/ for those whose interest has been piqued.

Gary Hodgin
11-22-2010, 7:11 PM
That's all very nice, but watch out for birds. Ask my wife how we know that. Just say we keep our tops on these days.

Ray Bell
11-22-2010, 7:14 PM
This would have been a sweet ride. Apparently, Oldsmobile built this concept car in 1954 but the Chevy division campaigned against it as they were building the Corvette. Information is here: http://www.gatewayautomuseum.com/cars-and-galleries/f-88-gallery/ for those whose interest has been piqued.

Didn't somebody buy this for some ridiculous price within the last couple of years at Barrett-Jackson?

Keith Outten
11-23-2010, 7:11 AM
It's been over 35 years since I owned a rag top and I am really enjoying the Solstice. I got it late in the season so I haven't been able to put the top down but once. We often have a warm day here in Eastern Virginia in the early Winter months, today is supposed to be 72 degrees.

Gary, birds are a hazard to ragtops and tractors but it is a risk worth taking :)

David, my family have been farmers on the Eastern Shore of Virginia since 1634. When I was young I got planty of tractor seat time when we would visit our family on The Shore and my Dad had a tractor here in Gloucester when I was a teenager. Four years ago I bought my first, it was a small Kubota BX 1500 and now I have the new Deere. I never knew how handy a front end loader could be until I bought the Kubota, I couldn't live without one now. I dreamed of owning a Corvette when I was young, like you I could never save enough money for the car much less the insurance. When I got my first full time job in 1972 I bought a brand new MG Midget for $2,800.00 then a new MGB in 1974.

Rod Torgeson
11-23-2010, 1:12 PM
Ray.....Yes, someone bought that car for over three million dollars at auction in Scottsdale.

Rod<---in Appleton, WA