PDA

View Full Version : link belts ?

Michael Wildt
05-07-2010, 12:01 PM
New to link belts. Can one replace a regular v-belt with a link belt without replacing the pulley ? Like will the belt ride in the v-groove just fine ?

Any tension requirements ?

Thanks for helping.

Dennis Lopeman
05-07-2010, 12:15 PM
YES - they're awesome - get them - I have it in my table saw and changed it into a purring kitty! I will change out my jointer belt soon. Bring your belt so you can make sure you get the right one... (if there are different ones... I dunno) - but they do REPLACE a v-groove - I know that. I haven't even looked at mine in years - on my Delta contractor TS.

Michael Wildt
05-07-2010, 1:02 PM
OK, cool. I'll double check the width before ordering then.

Thanks

Dennis Lopeman
05-07-2010, 1:15 PM
yup - width - depth of the v (if there's such a thing) - or just speak to someone and tell them the tool - they proly have a chart or something that'll tell them the right one and length (number of links, in this case) - I had leftover links...

Van Huskey
05-07-2010, 1:51 PM
They are usually sold either in 4ft lengths which you then size or by the inch or foot. Direct replacement for a standard V belt on machines.

Kyle Iwamoto
05-07-2010, 2:11 PM
They are awesome. They don't take a "set" and therefore there's no vibration from the belt. Made my drill press run much smoother as well as my combo table saw.

Myk Rian
05-07-2010, 2:19 PM
I put one on my 14" Delta BS. Made a big difference with vibration and belt slippage. I recommend them.

Rod Sheridan
05-07-2010, 2:27 PM
Another option is a good quality V belt, not the lousy ones that come on so many pieces of equipment.

I have never seen an installation where a good V belt wasn't the cure to vibration or slipping problems (not mention proper sheaves in clean, good condition).

You'll probably notice that high end machines use either V or poly V belts, if link belts were superior they would be using them.

Regards, Rod.

Van Huskey
05-07-2010, 3:02 PM
You'll probably notice that high end machines use either V or poly V belts, if link belts were superior they would be using them.

First, I fully argree that Poly Vs are the better mousetrap but I see your argument like this. The Poly V is better than a double or triple V system so why can you still find the latter on new high quality machines? The problem with upgrading to a Poly V is not so simple or cheap unless the manufacturer has upgraded and offers a "kit" with belt and pulleys, Grizzly does for instance.

The link belts do seem to solve a lot of peoples vibration issues and they are not much more expensive than a regular V belt.

Lee Schierer
05-07-2010, 3:18 PM
Just be sure to install link belts for the correct direction of travel otherwise they are quite noisy.

Dennis Lopeman
05-07-2010, 3:25 PM
My mom used to say "The Proof is in the Pudding."

is that even a saying?

I replaced my TS belt a long time ago... I noticed a huge difference right off the bat. I've never even gone back. I do still have the belt though. Maybe I should put it back on and remember what the difference was...

Rod Sheridan
05-07-2010, 3:59 PM
First, I fully argree that Poly Vs are the better mousetrap but I see your argument like this. The Poly V is better than a double or triple V system so why can you still find the latter on new high quality machines? The problem with upgrading to a Poly V is not so simple or cheap unless the manufacturer has upgraded and offers a "kit" with belt and pulleys, Grizzly does for instance.

The link belts do seem to solve a lot of peoples vibration issues and they are not much more expensive than a regular V belt.

Hi, I wasn't suggesting that people convert to poly V belts, just that if link belts were better than V belts you would see them on industrial machines, which you don't.

I'd rather solve the problem than mask it, which would mean proper sheaves and a good quality V belt.......Regards, Rod.