PDA

View Full Version : Corel issue with joining lines for color fill <attached file>

Shawn Handley
05-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Greetings,

First, please pardon my lack of knowledge. I am 100% self taught on everything so I am missing some very basics, I'm sure.

I have been engraving for years but this time, it's about color mapping. Actually its about Corel Draw.

What happened is that this logo wasn't available in a higher resolution and all attempts at using the Trace in Corel wasn't satisfactory to my perfectionist mind (it's a curse :)). So, I exported it into Autocad where I could easily edit the outlines to the proper shape. The trouble I have is simple knowledge tot hose who use Corel for any editing. This is where you come in :)

When I imported the logo back into Corel, all I get are lines. I can't do any color fill. I suppose my question is, how do I join lines in order to fill with color. In this attached file is the low res original and my autocad lines so you can see what I want it to look like and what I have to work with.

Much thanks in advance.

Steve Clarkson
05-07-2010, 12:48 PM
I think you understand the problem.......you need to close the paths.

First, ungroup all.

Then if you look at the very inside of the "R"...... you can see that it is actually two lines, not one oval. select both lines, arrange/combine and then either: join curves or close path (depending on which version of CD you have) or zoom in super close and use your shape tool to attach the nodes (on both ends of the oval).

Hope that makes sense.

Shawn Handley
05-07-2010, 1:02 PM
This is excellent advice! I learned quite a bit just from trying this; however, I ran into trouble when I did the other middle part of the "R" (to the left of the two ovals). It seems whenever I close curves, anything that is a curve bent backwards has a line straight through to close the curve but its on the wrong side. I hope I explained that well enough. Here is a picture of what I mean:
http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/pp280/Shandleyman/Computer%20Help/CloseCurveIssue.jpg

---------------
---------------
EDIT:

When I used the shape tool to join the nodes, I was able to join these backwards curves. I think I may be able to progress with this info. Much Thanks!

Rodne Gold
05-07-2010, 1:14 PM
Go back into ACAD and change the outlines to polylines and close/join em there. Export as both DXF and an earlier version of acad - like 14/13/13/11 and then import into corel. See which works best

Shawn Handley
05-07-2010, 1:23 PM
Thanks Rodne,

The outline was made with the spline tool to keep the nice curves. Would you know how to convert the splines into polylines? I've always wanted to know that. :)

I did use the JOIN command and that worked to keep everything in it's own section but I would still like to know how to convert spline to polyline.

Mark Winlund
05-07-2010, 2:37 PM
This has been a problem with corel for many years. Other programs (Flexisign pro for example) have a function that will automatically connect ends of lines when they are within a certain distance of each other. A very simple function that Corel doesn't have. The problem occurs frequently with Autocad files. Another problem with importing certain files is that you will get many duplicates on top of one another. Corel should be able to handle this as well. Mike, are you there?

Mark

Gary Hair
05-07-2010, 3:31 PM
Shawn,
I am using X5 so it may be different... I selected the objects, then "Arrange", "join curves". Then I filled the black part using smart fill and did the same with the red part. Deleted the original objects and I'm left with the right parts in the right colors.

File attached.

Gary

P.S. I use smart fill A LOT. It makes drawing very complex objects extremely easy. I can put circles in rectangles, either one over the other, lines, you name it, and then smart fill to get the shape I want. You have to get a bit creative and think outside the box, but it works wonders!

John Noell
05-07-2010, 3:58 PM
I 2nd Gary's comment. Two of my favorite tools in situations like this are virtual segment delete and smartfill. Even if the path is not closed, you can draw in a simple line to close it, use smartfill, and, if needed, touch up any rough edges.

Shawn Handley
05-07-2010, 5:54 PM
Thank you to all who replied. I was able to get out what I needed to and I took away a bunch of useful information.

I look forward to my next problem. :P