PDA

View Full Version : Using Bushings for Inlay work, please help!

Dave Gaul
05-07-2010, 8:32 AM
I got the craftsman/milescraft inlay kit, tried to use it for the first time last night... and I broke the 1/8" spiral bit that came with the kit on the first try! So, I broke out my new Whiteside spriral bits, grabbed the 9/32" bit and went to town... inlay was too small for the recess!!! Then I realized that using a bigger bit means different bushing must be used!
So, please help me make sure I have this figured out correctly! I need to do this immediately, and the only bit I can find locally is a 1/4" spiral bit at Lowe's (no rockler or woodcraft close enough to me).
So here is what I think will work... 1/4" spiral bit, using a 3/8" bushing for the inlay, and then a 5/8" bushing to make the recess.
So, am I correct in thinking that the bushing for the recess has to be the size of the bit + the size of the bushing you used for the inlay?
I know this will make a smaller inlay, but without being able to get a 1/8" bit today, this will have to do for now.

Andrew Gibson
05-07-2010, 9:56 AM
Sounds right to me. I have only used the inlay kit with the 1/8" bit.
Do a quick test on scrap and see. Just make sure you use the 3/8 bushing to trim the inlay and the 5/8 bushing to make the recess.

Dave Gaul
05-07-2010, 9:59 AM
Thanks Andrew! Just wanted someone to confirm! I plan to order a new 1/8" bit soon, but they don't sell them at my local BORG's, so best I can get is 1/4"... need it now for a project I'm working on for my step son to give his mom for mother's day...

Thanks again!

Jamie Buxton
05-07-2010, 10:29 AM
The way I add that up, it'll give you an inlay that is larger than the recess, by 1/8" on each side. Recheck your math or make a trial.

Lee Schierer
05-07-2010, 11:41 AM
Hey Dave, join the club, It seems everybody breaks the 1/8" bit that comes with the set the first time they use it. I now keep two on hand and (knock on wood) have never broken another one. However, I do the hogging out of bulk material in the recess with a larger diameter bit once I have traced the out line with the small bit. The small bit is only used for cutting the outlines of the parts.

Dave Gaul
05-07-2010, 2:22 PM
Jamie, I'll check on that, thanks!

Lee, I actually broke the bit on the first outline! Funny thing is, is that it broke exactly at the end of the pass but still made the full outline!!! Good idea on getting two 1/8"'s.... hartville has 20% off all whiteside bits through june... guess I'll be placing another order!!!

David DeCristoforo
05-07-2010, 4:05 PM
]There are any number of guide collar/bit diameters that will produce the result you want. The kits are OK but, as you have discovered, 1/8" bits are fragile. I usually use at least 1/4" bits unless the inlay is such that I have to have a smaller bit. The idea is simply to use the guide collars to offset the bit a distance equal to it's diameter.

In this sketch, the bit (white) is 1/4" diameter. The red line is the joint between the inlay and the recess. Brown is the template. In the top drawing, the guide collar (blue) O.D is 3/8". This is used to cut out the inlay piece. In the lower drawing, the collar has a 1 1/8" O.D. This will cut the recess and the pieces will mate perfectly (all other things being equal).

Any combination of collars and bits that will offset the bit by it's diameter will work.

Dave Gaul
05-08-2010, 6:19 PM
Jamie, you were right... I wasn't taking into account the offset between the bit and the collar.

David, your graphics did wonders for me! I printed out some graph paper and scaled some of my own drawings and got the exact bit & bushing combos I needed...

Thanks to all!

Mac Cambra
05-09-2010, 1:01 AM
Is there a special coupon code to take advantage of the Whiteside discount? I cain't find any mention of it on the website.

Thanks,

Mac

Dave Gaul
05-09-2010, 11:30 AM
The coupon code is SP229W

It's in hartville's lastest catalog.

Also, all orders over $99 ship free...

James MacArthur
05-09-2010, 6:57 PM
Take very shallow cuts and go slowly, I broke my bit and it was cause I wasn't doing this. They aren't cheap either!

Mac Cambra
05-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Thanks just placed an order.

Dave Gaul
05-10-2010, 7:27 AM
Well I ended up using a 1/8 straight bit, and although not ideal, it worked fine.

You're welcome for the code... pretty good deal, used it myself twice already, gonna use it again soon! Guess I should post the code in the deals & discounts forum!

Dave Gaul
05-10-2010, 2:52 PM
Can anyone tell me why every bushing kit out there comes with a 51/64" bushing? Seems like an odd size, but must be popular for some reason!!!