PDA

View Full Version : Starrett No. 181 Cabinet Scraper

Dan Hahr
05-07-2010, 12:19 AM
I recently found one of these at a garage sale. It is in decent condition, but the blade is just ground at 90 degrees and dull. Does this tool have much value as a user in woodworking? If so, how should I sharpen the blade?

Thanks, Dan

Gary Breckenridge
05-07-2010, 12:26 AM
Some tools are an aquired taste. Go to wonderhowto.com and type in wood scraper. :cool: There is a video that shows how.

Dan Hahr
05-07-2010, 12:55 AM
Thanks for the reply. I should have added that I am familiar with scrapers in general. I use several card scrapers and I have learned how to sharpen them well. This blade is a little over 1/16th of an inch thick and very stout, not flexible at all. I filed it square and flat as you would a card scraper and burnished it to create a slight hook. It is much less agressive than my card scrapers, but it stays very straight.

I was wondering if I should sharpen it as a scraper plane blade or what angle I should try and file it to. It seems softer than a plane blade.

Thanks again, Dan

Paul Murphy
05-08-2010, 2:34 PM
I tried a 45 degree grind with waterstone hone on my favorite cabinet scraper, and then burnished a burr.
All I can say is it worked well for me, and seems to hold up well. It saved my bacon on some tearout in curly walnut.