PDA

View Full Version : Turning ups and downs

Mark Burge
05-06-2010, 11:51 PM
Whew! :( I just got off the lathe with a platter/wall hanging piece and I feel like I don't know how to turn at all any more. I've got lots of sanding marks on it and I felt like I wasn't able to control the gouge at all the way I usually can. Do others have these ups and downs, feeling like you finally know what you're doing on some days and feeling like a complete novice on others?:confused:

I know "practice-practice-practice" I tend to take too long off between projects. But still, I thought I would have kept some of my skills.

Sorry for the gripe. Suggestions and encouragement appreciated.

Jon McElwain
05-07-2010, 12:00 AM
That happens to me all the time. Usually means it's time to go do some sharpening!:D

Mark Burge
05-07-2010, 12:41 AM
Thanks Jon. Sharpening is usually the answer when things aren't cutting right.

Donny Lawson
05-07-2010, 6:24 AM
That was going to be my reply but Jon hit the nail on the head.Sharp tools are just like night and day when it comes to turning.
Donny

Steve Schlumpf
05-07-2010, 8:57 AM
Mark - I am sure it happens to all of us but, even with sharp tools, I have found there are some woods out there that just refuse to cooperate! Have had that happen a couple of times and just set the wood aside for a few months. When I went back to it - everything worked fine.

Fred Perreault
05-07-2010, 9:28 AM
We all have bad days, the wood has bad days, the tools have bad days.... even the wife, kids and dog has there day. When that happens, it's time to do something else, or be somewhere else. Better days will come :)

Thom Sturgill
05-07-2010, 10:20 AM
For me learning WHEN to sharpen was harder than learning TO sharpen (I learned how to get an edge on hand chisels a l-o-n-g time ago.)
Mark, my (limited) experience as a turner has been that when things just don't seem to go right, I review my technique - and then SHARPEN! I will agree that some wood just does not want to co-operate.

George Guadiane
05-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Mark - I am sure it happens to all of us but, even with sharp tools, I have found there are some woods out there that just refuse to cooperate! Have had that happen a couple of times and just set the wood aside for a few months. When I went back to it - everything worked fine.

I'm not going to "blame" the wood though some woods work much better for me than others... There are just days, even working my favorite woods, when I should stop turning and go watch TV.
Layoffs do seem to have a lot to do with my sense of insecurity and my seeming inability to get the results I could "last time."

I went through a fairly significant period of time when I couldn't get a fingernail/Elsworth grind gouge to work in my hands... I finally went to a club learn and turn where Ken Evans looked at what I was doing and then showed me and watched me do the corrected thing... Took longer to drive there than to resolve the problem, and I spent MONTHS trying to resolve the issue myself.
When I go to symposiums, I like to see the exotic stuff which gives me new ideas, but I ALWAYS go to at least one basic turning thing or a sharpening thing to refresh my basic skills.

You mentioned sanding marks, I JUST had a problem piece. I had to go back several grits THREE times before I finally conquered the sanding marks issue... I usually power sand, but started with 80 grit by hand (on the lathe), across the grain and paid the price. Take heart, we do all go through skill/confidence issues.:eek: Some of us just won't admit it.:cool:

Mike Minto
05-07-2010, 11:28 AM
yep, all too often.

Jamie Straw
05-07-2010, 12:22 PM
I know "practice-practice-practice" I tend to take too long off between projects. But still, I thought I would have kept some of my skills.

Mark, I'm very much a beginner, so I don't know if this principle will apply down the road (with much more experience, like you) but when it's been weeks since I've touched the lathe, I chuck a piece of scrap in and just play, play, play. It seems to get me in the groove and makes things go better for the project that's in mind.

John Keeton
05-07-2010, 12:31 PM
You mentioned sanding marks, I JUST had a problem piece. I had to go back several grits THREE times before I finally conquered the sanding marks issue... I usually power sand, but started with 80 grit by hand (on the lathe), across the grain and paid the price. Take heart, we do all go through skill/confidence issues.:eek: Some of us just won't admit it.:cool:George, I learned that lesson quickly, too!! I never touch a piece - by hand - now with less than 150, and then carefully.

Mark, most of us have days like that - and, then sometimes some of us have weeks like that!!;) I will not further discuss the two broken tenons, the beautiful piece of Claro walnut that has become firewood because it simply is not salvageable.:mad:

Bernie Weishapl
05-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Mark like George said some days are just like that. I don't blame the wood. When it happens I just shut the shop down and maybe in a day or two go back and all is good.

Mark Burge
05-07-2010, 2:11 PM
I appreciate the kind words, y'all. It's good to have my experience validated. I really need to practice sharpening. I've been using the WorkSharp 3000 and the see-through wheels for most of my sharpening but I'm still not proficient at it. I saw plans for a homemade sharpening jig for a grinder the other day. I may try to work up an adaptation to the WS system.
Anyway, last night it was best to just shut the shop down and rest.

Mark Burge
05-07-2010, 2:15 PM
Oh, George and John: you hit the nail on the head with the sanding. I went back to 100 grit on the lathe to take out some problem areas. That seems to be what has persisted. Oh, well, back up and sand through the grits again and repeat as needed.