PDA

View Full Version : Cast iron protection in humid areas

Alan Tolchinsky
05-06-2010, 10:22 PM
Hi All, I use paste wax for protection for cast iron in my humid shop. This seems to do the trick pretty well. I was wondering if covering with some cloth type material helps keep the rust off? I may not use my lathe for a couple of months and am worried about the rust.

Bernie Weishapl
05-06-2010, 10:32 PM
If I am not using a machine for a while I put a coat of Johnson paste wax. I don't rub it off or buff it. Never have had a problem so far.

Jim Sebring
05-07-2010, 2:10 AM
I've used "Topcote" on all my cast iron tool surfaces for years. I clean the metal with acetone to remove all traces of oil/crud/wax, then spray two coats, buffing after each. There is not a trace of rust on any of my machines.

I treated the ways on my DVR xp 1 1/2 years ago when I first set it up. Even with all the abrasion from moving the banjo around, there's not a speck of rust on the machine.

Don Geiger
05-07-2010, 6:27 AM
I live in FL, have an open air shop and I turn outside under a tent almost exclusively.

I've used Ballistol on my Stubby lathe for 10 years without rust being a problem. It also lubricates inside of small spaces (M.T. holes, quill, quill lock, tailstock lock, banjo, tool rest post, tool rest lock, etc.). It has a low viscosity which allows it to seep into voids in cast iron and emulsifies with moisture to prevent corrosion. It's slightly alkaline which neutralizes acid a major souce of which is body sweat.

Don Geiger

Ken Hensley
05-07-2010, 7:08 AM
Alan,

I'm right there with Bernie on this one I have used Johnson's Paste Wax for years with no problems and Some of my machines are older than I am (but not by much).

Ken

Roger Bullock
05-07-2010, 7:35 AM
My day job can take me away for months at a time. I use Johnson's Paste Wax and before I leave for extended periods of time I lay down a thin layer of sawdust from kiln dried wood. For you guys that have shops cleaner than your home kitchens, this might drive you crazy. Works for me.

Steve Schlumpf
05-07-2010, 9:17 AM
It's fairly humid here - living less than a 1/4 mile from the south shore of Lake Superior. I have been using Johnson's paste wax for years and have been happy with the results. The only time I wish I had more protection is when roughing out green wood. Doesn't take long for actual liquid to start rusting the ways.

Kyle Iwamoto
05-07-2010, 11:41 AM
It's not as humid here in the middle of the Pacific, but here's my $0.02. I don't use my bandsaw very much, and use Boeshield and I put a coat of wax on. Seems to not get any rust. Actually, all of them get the same treatment. All of my tools are covered with a cloth when not in use. My table saw has a plywood cover, since it doubles as my workbench. I don't know if the covers help prevent rust or not, but at least it keeps the dust off of them. My "shop" is my garage, so it's pretty much open air. Humidity is free to come and go.

Richard Madison
05-07-2010, 1:25 PM
For extended out-of-service time, a generous coat of Boeshield T-9 and leave as sprayed.

Edward Bartimmo
05-07-2010, 1:37 PM
I am a little south of Houston just north of the marshlands along the Gulf Coast. The Humidity is palatable on many days and a constant struggle to protect my tools. From my experience over the past 10 years with a garage workshop this is what I have found works for me:

1) Top Coat works great to clean up / restore the surface of a tool, but doesn't have lasting power (easily gets wiped off during normal tool use)
2) Paste Wax provides a harder and longer-lasting protection...forms a barrier between the steel and the air or other contaminates
3) After you finish with a tool wipe it down and cover it
4) Don't let sawdust or shaving sit on tool...they act like a sponge and draw in moisture from the air that will now sits on top of your tool's surface
5) Don't drip sweat on your machine and don't place drinks on them either...MDF cutoffs are great coasters and change shirts or keep a sweat rag handy during the hot months
6) Don't leave green wood shavings on tools (tannins in wet wood is like the chemicals in your sweat and will discolor metal quickly and accelerate rust process)
7) Keep the shop relatively clean

I have a bottle of Orange Oil that I put on a rag to wipe down any small tools (gouges, chisels, planes, saws, etc) or metal parts (calipers, drill bits, etc) that I have been touching or using.

I couple of years ago I changed out the garage door to a heavily insulated door, which reduced the temperature in the shop by 5-10 degrees during the summer months. I have contemplated puting a vapor seal around the garage door to reduce the humidity.

Alan Tolchinsky
05-07-2010, 7:11 PM
Thanks guys, I guess I'm on the right track with my wax. But I do appreciate all the thoughts written here. I really hate it when cast iron stuff rusts especially when almost brand new. So I'll probably do the wax and cover with a cloth and pray for no rust.