PDA

View Full Version : What is best for a satin finish?

Jack Gaskins
05-06-2010, 7:31 PM
Looking to put a satin finish on some small bowls and pencil pots. What should I try?

Thom Sturgill
05-06-2010, 7:53 PM
Jack, I usually use lacquer (semi-gloss) for most of my turnings and when I want a satin finish (usually just the inside of bowls) I hand buff with 0000 steel wool when I want a high shine I machine buff with white diamond and wax.

Mike McAfee
05-06-2010, 7:53 PM
Jack,

I like and mainly use a rattle can Deft Satin with purdy fair results! Depending on the wood (grain, figure, color etc) I'll use BLO first to enhance, let dry usually overnight then apply the Deft!

Deft is my sure fire go to finish but I do love playing mad scientist and mixing up finishes as well!

Good luck in your quest,

MMc

Ryan Baker
05-06-2010, 9:45 PM
I just did some things with Deft rattle can semi-gloss too, and they came out really well. I couldn't find any satin around -- most places only have the gloss. I need to pick up more of all of them. Watch out for the vapors though.

Bernie Weishapl
05-06-2010, 9:58 PM
I like rattle can lacquer or poly myself in satin finish. I do like lacquer the best.

Alan Tolchinsky
05-06-2010, 10:16 PM
I like wipe on gloss poly. Apply 1-2 coats then sand with 400 paper or fine steel wool. Apply more coats as needed then smooth with steel wool to get the perfect satin finish. Very smooth to the touch.

Malcolm Tibbetts
05-06-2010, 10:34 PM
Jack, regardless of which type of finish you use, it's a good practice to first start out with several coats of gloss. It builds faster and doesn't "cloud" as much as multiple coats of satin. There are now several brands of water-based polys - they provide a real nice soft finish.

Mike McAfee
05-06-2010, 10:55 PM
Jack, regardless of which type of finish you use, it's a good practice to first start out with several coats of gloss. It builds faster and doesn't "cloud" as much as multiple coats of satin.

I'm glad you mentioned this Malcolm as I remember reading it sometime back but had totally forgot about it till now, THANKS!

Not to derail Jack's topic but does (has) anyone used Deft as a wipe on? 50/50 dilution as with Poly? How'd ya like it?

MMc

Jack Gaskins
05-07-2010, 9:12 PM
Jack, regardless of which type of finish you use, it's a good practice to first start out with several coats of gloss. It builds faster and doesn't "cloud" as much as multiple coats of satin. There are now several brands of water-based polys - they provide a real nice soft finish.

I have Minwax wipe on gloss poly. Do you just put several coats on the bring the shine down with 0000 steel wool?

Richard Madison
05-07-2010, 11:37 PM
Jack, have not used the wipe-on gloss poly but it should be about the same as gloss lacquer. After you have built a sufficient finish layer you can cut it to any level of gloss desired. Wet sand with 2000. Too glossy? Repeat with 1200. Still too glossy? Repeat with 600 or dry with 0000 steel wool. Can also go the other direction to smooth and level a finish and then buff to high gloss.

Jack Gaskins
05-08-2010, 10:27 AM
Jack, have not used the wipe-on gloss poly but it should be about the same as gloss lacquer. After you have built a sufficient finish layer you can cut it to any level of gloss desired. Wet sand with 2000. Too glossy? Repeat with 1200. Still too glossy? Repeat with 600 or dry with 0000 steel wool. Can also go the other direction to smooth and level a finish and then buff to high gloss.

I think I will try cutting it down from a high gloss. Cant buff anything yet as I do not have any type of buffing wheels.