PDA

View Full Version : Wood ID help

Bruce Pratt
05-06-2010, 7:23 PM
Made this out of some pallet wood. The guy I got it from said it was from South America. The wood is yellowish in color, quite dense, very fine grained with no obvious annual rings. All of the black color appears to be from very extensive spalting.

Any ideas on what kind of wood?

Bowl specs: 7" x 1 3/4"; three pieces laminated together; finish - Wipe-on poly (5 coats), w/ Beall buff.

Thanks,

Bruce Pratt

Robert Arrowood
05-06-2010, 9:24 PM
Don't know what it is.But it sure is purdy.

Steve Vaughan
05-06-2010, 9:51 PM
Clueless as to wood type, but you made it stand out whatever it is! Nice glue up too!

David E Keller
05-06-2010, 10:41 PM
Looks like South American Purdy wood.

Jon McElwain
05-06-2010, 11:48 PM
I used some wood that looked similar to that in Nicaragua only less spalting. The folks down there called it pine, but it was as heavy as iron bark, and fairly sappy. Closest thing I have seen in the US is southern pine.

Donny Lawson
05-07-2010, 6:21 AM
No help on the ID here but it is nicely spalted and you made a great save from a pallet.I've made a few things from pallets but no bowls.Great job.
Donny

Thom Sturgill
05-07-2010, 7:07 AM
No help on identifying, but good save!

I read once where someone from SA said the wood they used to make pallets was considered junk wood there and exotic here and that they really liked it when they received a pallet made of oak or maple.

Years ago, when my dad was alive and still had his luthier shop running ('80s) he got some similar wood (no spalting) that we turned into violin pegs and tail pieces on his metal lathe. Turned nicely and took a fine polish. We never identified it either.

Steve Schlumpf
05-07-2010, 9:41 AM
Wow - sure is some intense looking wood! Very nice bowl!

Norris Randall
05-07-2010, 3:37 PM
Looks like South American Purdy wood.

Is that what I call sap wood as opposed to heart wood? :D:D

Now the bowl, that's Spectacular, Attractive, Prized.

Get it, Got it..... Good.;)

John Tomasello jr
05-07-2010, 6:22 PM
My vote is South American purdy wood also. Great job turning "junk pallet wood" into a thing of beauty.

Bruce Pratt
05-08-2010, 8:33 PM
Thanks all for the positive comments. I guess this one will be labeled Tropicus unknownia.

-----------------

Bruce Pratt

Bernie Weishapl
05-09-2010, 1:08 AM
Great looking dunno wood and a nice looking bowl.