PDA

View Full Version : Project ideas to use up wood

Matt Day
05-06-2010, 12:59 PM
All,

I'll be moving in less than 2 months, and have to scale down the lumber I have. I don't have a backyard full of stickered stacks or anything, but do have a variety of types of wood around (maple, wormy maple, walnut, ash, wenge, bubinga, and a few exotics that I'm not sure of). I also have a lot of smaller scrap/off-cuts that I hold onto for when I need it.

Any ideas of quick project ideas to use up some wood quickly? Burning is not an option, yet!

I was thinking of making a couple quick side tables with either pocket holes or loose tenons, with a simple apron. What else? Cutting boards?

I'll take some of it with me, but mostly just the nicer larger pieces that I don't want to give away to wood-stove-friends.

Stephen Massman
05-06-2010, 2:24 PM
sell it on here if you dont find any projects.

Matt Day
05-06-2010, 3:31 PM
Steve,

I thought about putting it on my local CL if I can't use it up, but I sure don't want to bother with shipping it. I had hoped to use it for something productive though. Maybe I'll glue up a big laminated kitchen cutting block with some of it...

Clint Schlosser
05-06-2010, 3:37 PM
I had a similar problem with a lot of small scraps not entirely good for furniture projects.

Kitchen island with butcherblock top
Rolling Pins
Small boxes for "stuff"
Coat Rack
Sell on Craigslist
Hand planes
shop fixtures

Lee Koepke
05-06-2010, 3:44 PM
Cutting Boards are usually pretty quick and easy .... I'd love to have some of that wormy maple though ... wish I could justify a road trip :D

I have made a few wood trivets, one of those small candle-holders that would work good with the maple and walnut/wenge

Chess and Checker boards arent too bad and you have a good mix of lights and darks to work with.

Jeff Willard
05-06-2010, 10:15 PM
Got lathe?

Russell Sansom
05-07-2010, 5:23 AM
A pair of furniture-quality folding saw horses is one of my favorites. Can always be covered and used for carpentry and projects. Reasonable for an inpromptu table or sideboard in new living quarters.
I always make my shop fixtures ( shooting boards, saw benches ) from decent hardwood if possible. That makes no sense for figured/curly wood, but is good for plain stuff like beech, maple, ash...etc.

Matt Day
05-07-2010, 7:55 AM
I do have a lathe - were you thinking I could laminate some scrap together for turning?

Thanks for the suggestions so far! I just saw a thread in the projects forum about a very nice candle holder that I could probably make a few of too.

Jeff Willard
05-07-2010, 8:19 AM
I do have a lathe - were you thinking I could laminate some scrap together for turning?

That, or just smaller turnings, such as small boxes, with a contrasting finial or base. Hairsticks, pipe tampers, etc. Do you turn pens?