PDA

View Full Version : Rikon 12" BS, Somewhat Unique?

John Mark Lane
05-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Thanks in advance for anyone willing to actually read my wordy posts. I know there are a million threads on bandsaws (I've read many of them), but I can't find much on this model. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated....

In trying to find a BS small enough to fit in my tiny shop (10 by 16), I have focused mostly on the standard Delta clones -- the Grizzly 0555X, the Jet etc. One of these would probably be fine, but I have been intrigued by the "steel" bandsaws based on comments here. Resawing (smaller stock) is a key use for me, and I gather they are better for resawing, with possibly other improvements over the old style CI ones.

Most of the steel saws are too big, really, for my space. Height is also an issue -- due to ductwork crossing the ceiling, I really need to stay as close to 70 inches or less as I can (plus I need to factor in a mobile base). One that could probably work ok (in terms of size) -- the Griz G0457 -- really needs 220. I could wire up for 220, but it wasn't something I planned to do, and I'm not sure I need the power (resawing shorter pieces of 6-8 inch walnut, maple etc into maybe 3/8 widths is about all I will ask of the machine).

I looked at the Laguna - it's a bit above my price. The Jet 16" steel saw is interesting, but also a bit pricey and maybe a bit large for me.

So as of now, the options are Delta CI clone, or possibly the G0457 and rewire for the 220.

And then I noticed the Rikon 10-315.

http://www.rikontools.com/productpage_10-315.htm

Interesting saw. It appears to be a steel frame saw like the others, but smaller. 7 1/4 inch resaw, would work for me. I hp motor is nice and I can run it from an existing 20 amp 110 line. The overall dimensions are appealing. It uses standard size (93") blades.

I've never seen a Rikon. Any thoughts on what drawbacks I might experience with this saw (other than size of stock that can be worked)? I hate plastic on tools -- much plastic on these things (handles etc)? The price of this saw is actually more than the Jet 14" CI, and about the same as the G0555X. It appears to be a new model.

Any comments would be welcome.

Mark

Van Huskey
05-06-2010, 1:22 PM
The Rikons have a pretty good reputation the 14" deluxe is an excellent saw, well reviewed by magazines and owners. Shame it is 75" tall since it is only $100 more than the 12".

Geoff Barry
05-06-2010, 1:37 PM
Note that on the 14" Rikons (I have a 10-320, so not the deluxe), the listed height is if you use the cabinet base they supply, which is about two feet high. The cabinet base has no function other than raising the height of the saw (and, I suppose, providing storage space). You could simply mount the 14" saws (four corner bolts) to a shorter cabinet or table of your own design.

If I were buying new, I'd get the 10-325 - good reputation, big resaw height. I got the 10-320 for a good price used, and it is a well-made saw. It's only shortcoming is that you can't increase it's rather limited resaw height.

John McClanahan
05-06-2010, 6:05 PM
My 12" Craftsman looks very similar to the 12" Rikons.

John

Kevin Groenke
05-06-2010, 7:16 PM
The footprint of a 12" bandsaw really isn't much different than that of a 17".

Consider that smaller wheels are hard on blades, we have 4 of the Craftsman/Rikon 10" bandsaws and they snap blades way more frequently than our 2) 14" Deltas - same Starrett blade stock welded by BC saw.

I don't know about the 12" Rikon, but the 10" Craftsman/Rikon is WAY underpowered, it bogs down in even 1" basswood with a new 4T blade. I wouldn't bother trying to resaw with it...maybe if you put a Highland Hardware Woodslicer blade on it..

The steel frame on the 10" is not as rigid as one would expect, I can twist it with hand pressure, as a result, tensioning and tracking can be a pain.

The G0457 looks real good on paper. The 2hp, cast iron wheels, "Carter style" guides and tensioning lever are nice features. We put that fence on our Bridgewood 17" and like it a lot. It looks like the motor can run on either 110 or 220. The base is just that, so if it's too tall, you could bolt the saw to something else. It's curious they didn't give it 12" resaw capacity, a 2hp motor shouldn't have too much trouble with 12", especially if you put a tri-master or other carbide tipped blade in it.

Of course for just $100 more, you could get the 17" G0513x2

-kg

Joe Wiliams
05-06-2010, 7:35 PM
I think the 12" Rikon is a newer model, first saw it a week or two ago. I'd spend the extra $100 for the 14" deluxe unless you are really that tight on room.

Maybe there will be an introductory sale?:)

Jeff Willard
05-06-2010, 10:13 PM

But the table on a 17" saw is far larger, effectively increasing the footprint. That's the major reason I opted for a 14" Laguna, as opposed to a 18" something else.

John Mark Lane
05-07-2010, 6:59 AM

Consider that smaller wheels are hard on blades, we have 4 of the Craftsman/Rikon 10" bandsaws and they snap blades way more frequently than our 2) 14" Deltas - same Starrett blade stock welded by BC saw.

I don't know about the 12" Rikon, but the 10" Craftsman/Rikon is WAY underpowered, it bogs down in even 1" basswood with a new 4T blade. I wouldn't bother trying to resaw with it...maybe if you put a Highland Hardware Woodslicer blade on it..

The steel frame on the 10" is not as rigid as one would expect, I can twist it with hand pressure, as a result, tensioning and tracking can be a pain.

The G0457 looks real good on paper. The 2hp, cast iron wheels, "Carter style" guides and tensioning lever are nice features. We put that fence on our Bridgewood 17" and like it a lot. It looks like the motor can run on either 110 or 220. The base is just that, so if it's too tall, you could bolt the saw to something else. It's curious they didn't give it 12" resaw capacity, a 2hp motor shouldn't have too much trouble with 12", especially if you put a tri-master or other carbide tipped blade in it.

Of course for just $100 more, you could get the 17" G0513x2

-kg

The footprint isn't that much of an issue, it's more the overall size of the saw. Most of the 17" saws, I think, would overwhelm the space. And height is a real problem.

The Rikon 10" looks like a different kind of tool, more like a scroll saw in terms of functionality. Very small ("1/3 hp") motor. The 12 looks more like a "real bandsaw", with a 1 hp motor etc.

I like the G0457 on paper, too. The main problem with it, for me, is that it wants a 30 amp line at 110. I really need something that can run off a 20 amp 110 line. That and the height issue rule out a lot of the attractive saws.

I called Rikon yesterday. Had someone on the phone in less than a minute who was very helpful. Nice people there it seems. And yes, you can remove the 14 inch Rikons from the stock base and mount them on anything, and lower the height. This means even the 10-325 is a possibility. I could make a custom rolling base about 4 inches shorter than the stock one and be just fine (and mobile). Damn thing has a 13 inch resaw capacity! Way more than I need and frankly I find it hard to envision resawing 13 inch hardwood with a 1 1/2 hp motor. The 12" model may still make more sense for me...

One question folks -- when you have a bandsaw with such a large throat as the 10-325, do you compromise anything in terms of curve cutting? I mean, when you lower the blade guides down for cutting one inch stock, isn't there some ... what's the right word... instability (?) in terms of the blade holding straight? I've never used a bandsaw with such a large throat....

Mark

scott spencer
05-07-2010, 9:58 AM
I've got the 12" Craftsman version that's fairly similar to the Rikon. It fits my space well, and even with a smaller motor (3/4hp) than the Rikon (1hp), the Cman does well for me. It won't do what a 2hp 17" BS will do, but within it's limitations, it's been a good tool for me.

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/productImages/0/9/00000110609-Craftsman12InchBandSaw22400-large.jpeg

Dennis Lopeman
05-07-2010, 10:01 AM
looks like you are leaning more towards getting this. I actually saw this saw this weekend - it looks nice.

I will look forward to your review. Keep in mind that someone already mentioned that it might bog down while resawing. So, it would be great if you verified that.

Also, if these guys are like other brands, the stock blade is probably just crap, so consider buying a couple TimberWolf blades... one 6 tooth 1/2 to 3/4" for resawing and a "more" toothed thinner one for curvey stuff.

I have a ShopSmith and the bandsaw on it is an 11" - I got the TimberWolf 6 tooth (I think) and it works great for resawing. I'm limited to about a 6" width, though - so have already outgrown it! I'm now saving for a big monster one - like the G0514x2B 19".... but might need to set my expectations a little lower!!

Curt Harms
05-07-2010, 10:04 AM
One question folks -- when you have a bandsaw with such a large throat as the 10-325, do you compromise anything in terms of curve cutting? I mean, when you lower the blade guides down for cutting one inch stock, isn't there some ... what's the right word... instability (?) in terms of the blade holding straight? I've never used a bandsaw with such a large throat....

Mark

I haven't used many different band saws but IMO no. I'm not sure there's a guide system out there that will force a band saw band to do what it really doesn't want to do. Perhaps the 6 point Laguna? A better solution than trying brute force IMO is tuning the saw properly and using a good quality sharp blade. A related issue is narrow bands which are most suitable for scroll-type work. There isn't much flat metal for guides to run against behind the teeth. Burying the blade in cool block-type guides may help. If you haven't seen this, you might want to watch it for curve/scroll cutting:
http://www.carterproducts.com/product.asp?product_id=482&cat_id=14

The Rikon 10-325 is about 54" tall minus the base. I made my own base to lower the table and be able to reach the tension adjustment knob on top easier.

Jamie Cowan
05-07-2010, 10:26 AM
I bought the Rikon Deluxe 12" bandsaw about a month ago. I love it. The only plastic on it is the throat plate, a little guard under the table, the switch buttons, and the pads for the feet of the stand. I looked at the 14", and with the 100 buck price difference, I was tempted--but due to shop power limitations, I went with the 12.
It does what it is supposed to do, and it does it pretty well. My only complaint would be that the fine adjustment knobs for the blade guides are probably a little longer than I'd like, but not a really big deal. The blade guard is hinged to help make blade changes easy. I put retractable casters on it, so after I move it out of the corner to use it, I just pop up the wheels and the base in on the ground, and plenty sturdy.

Jamie Cowan
05-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Oh, one more thing...the fence kind of stinks, but I planned to upgrade from day one anyway--just haven't gotten to it.

Dennis Lopeman
05-07-2010, 10:48 AM
Hmmmm - I may have mis-stated those Tooth per inch suggestions... Someone correct me...

I think it goes something like this:

Fewer teeth/wider blade for resawing (general use)
More teeth/thinner blade for detail scroll-saw-like work - curvey stuff.

I may have meant 3 teeth per inch for resawing - not 6... better do your homework first!

John Mark Lane
05-07-2010, 2:08 PM
Interesting -- I looked at the Craftsman site and that looks like exactly the same saw. And the 14's look like Rikon's, too. Is Rikon making tools for Sears? I also note that the Craftsman version of the 12 is only $299...?! That seems like a really nice price, less than half the Rikon price. Huh? Is the motor rating the only difference (other than the paint)?

Jamie -- thanks for responding. Great to hear from someone who has one of the 12's. Uh, what's a throat plate? Is the table on that saw cast iron? All the pics make it look like it's black, and I'm wondering if it's annodized aluminum or something. What is the most you have asked of the saw? Have you tried resawing, say, 7 inch hardwood stock?

Thanks for the help.... and damn, I just can't get over the fact that the Craftsman is so much less, if it is in fact the same saw....

John A. Callaway
05-07-2010, 4:55 PM
If rikon is making saws for craftsman ( pretty sure they are ) .... It might look the same, but I can assure you it is not. If it were the same saw, it would be somewhere close in price. It has to have cheaper parts on it, maybe a lesser quality metal , and certainly a different motor and blade. The onlyway to tell for sure is to put them both side by side and physically look over the two saws and find what is different besides the paint job. Just as a comparison in this type of rebadging.....This is something walmart is known for. The sell Singer sewing machines, brother sewing machines... and the models they sell can only be had at walmart...Why ? cause they are cheaper quality versions of the better machines that you find at actual singer and brother dealers....

Brian Hinther
05-07-2010, 9:15 PM
When I looked up the Rikon reviews on the Sears site, someone said Sears wanted $300 for shipping!