PDA

View Full Version : Retractable Screen Doors

Tony De Masi
05-06-2010, 6:34 AM
Anyone use these at their house? You know, the kind that roll up like a window shade only on the horizontal plane and not the vertical plane. Thought I would start my research here.

Pros and cons and brand names in any responses would be appreciated.

Tony

Belinda Barfield
05-06-2010, 8:18 AM
I have one and I love it. I can't remember the name brand but I bought it at Lowe's. It was installed four or five years ago and I have had no problems with it. Installation was very easy. One note of caution, the screen is very "sensitive". If a pet or child bumps into the screen the screen retracts rapidly. Also, the screen can be a little difficult to pull closed, so if anyone in your home has arthritis of the hands this could be an issue.

Eddie Watkins
05-06-2010, 11:18 AM
I have a set on a french door. While they do work, I don't use them if I am going to be going in and out because they are so difficult to move. If you are just wanting a screen so you can open a door for air flow and don't plan on going in and out, they are good for that but it takes a little maneuvering to open and close the screen each time I use it.

Tony De Masi
05-06-2010, 1:00 PM
Thank you Belinda and Eddie. You both have agreed with most of the reviews I've been able to find in that they can be a bit difficult to close. It would be for a french door set up with just the LOML and myself. No kids and no pets. Eddie you nailed it as it's just for being able to keep the doors open for air flow.

Thanks again.

Tony

Belinda Barfield
05-06-2010, 1:37 PM
Tony,

I should have mentioned that air flow is basically why I installed my retractable screen. I live in a condo complex that does not allow any changes to the exterior of the building, so a traditional screen door wasn't an option. I have a deck with a lovely view of the river and in the evenings the breeze coming in off the river is pretty nice. I installed the retractable screen and to this date no one has noticed it. :D

Tony De Masi
05-06-2010, 4:44 PM
Thanks again Belinda. I don't have the river view you have but I have some wonderful mountain views. Also, if I lived in Savannah I'd probably be at least fifty pounds heavier because I know I would be at Paula Deen's quite frequently.

Tony