PDA

View Full Version : Newest project---making pens

Gary Max
11-18-2004, 4:42 PM
I needed something to keep me busy for about a month so I started making pens. I wanted to take a break from bowls so I thought I would give this a spin (pun). First couple of them where easy to make and a snap to put together. Then I started making a better quailty pen --then I wanted a corn cob pen. That was Tom's fault I had seen the ones he had posted. Having so much fun making these things I started selling them. Hey it works people pay form them so I can buy more kits to make more pens. This could be another habit I have. Anywho I thought I would post a couple of my Cobs---bad joke.

Tom Mullane
11-18-2004, 6:23 PM
Very nice Gary... you did a great job on those.... fun aint it.... and very habit forming... also can be very profitable... have already sold $300 worth of pens the last two weekends and the Christmas buying season has not even started at my farm market...
BTW, get hold of Bill B at Arizona Silhouette or Ryan at Woodturningz and get some of the other color Cigars... I find the satin gold really looks great with a corn cob... their cigar prices are the lowest I have found anywhere..

Gary Max
11-18-2004, 6:44 PM
Thanks Tom--already buy from BB--as a matter of fact he shipped a order to me today.
We are going up north next week and plan on stopping in Woodturningz--I talked to Fred yesterday.
I want to check out their blanks.

Alan Tolchinsky
11-18-2004, 7:38 PM
bunch for the Freedom Pen Project and am using Mylands friction polish. On some porous woods it takes 5-6 coats of it to get a nice finish. I'd be interested in hearing wht you guys are using. I love the corn cob pens, very cool. Alan in Md.

Gary Max
11-18-2004, 7:51 PM
Alan I am still a rookie at this pen thing. I think I have turned 18 of them so far.
I have found for different kinds of wood I am using different things.
But now Tom on the other hand----thats a different story.

Harry Pye
11-19-2004, 6:06 PM
bunch for the Freedom Pen Project and am using Mylands friction polish. On some porous woods it takes 5-6 coats of it to get a nice finish. I'd be interested in hearing wht you guys are using. I love the corn cob pens, very cool. Alan in Md.

Alan, after sanding out to 320 I coat the blank with CA and sand again. I repeat this sequence until the blank is quite smooth, maybe two or three coats of CA.

At this point I sand with MicroMesh out to 12,000. I stop the lathe and sand lengthwise after the coarse grits. I usually clean the blank with alchohol between grits. This leaves a fairly shiny surface and one that I think is quite acceptable. But to make it even better I put on two or three coats of Mylands followed by a coat of Renaissance Wax.

I figure if the Mylands wears through, the user's fingers will buff the CA finish to an even higher gloss. So far, no complaints.

Alan Tolchinsky
11-19-2004, 7:22 PM
I'm going to try CA some time but I don't know about that smell. Yow!