PDA

View Full Version : On-site cabinet assembly

Dan Chouinard
05-05-2010, 10:54 PM
The size of the cabinet I am working on requires that it be assembled in a second floor bedroom. Since the inside edge of my face frames are always flush with the box sides, my current shop method of attaching face frame to box is glue and clamps and sanding to make the seam between FF and box sides disapear. Iwould like to experiment and try a 3/4 inch dado on the back side of the stiles, 1/8 deep and 1/8 in from inside edge. This would hide that seam and make on-site assembly more managable.

Does anyone use this method? What are the fine points of this method that I should be aware of?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

cecil rolfe
05-05-2010, 11:33 PM
I've used that method for many years. I put the dado 1/8' from the outside though.

Cecil

Dan Chouinard
05-06-2010, 6:52 AM
Thanks for the replies. I will explore this today.

What method are you using to join rails to stiles? This method must require that the rails be 1/8th thinner than the stiles?

Dont like the 1/8 the from the outside suggestion as this would not allow for finished end panels

More feedback please.
Thanks,
Dan

Steve Griffin
05-06-2010, 8:28 AM
In a similar fashion, I often like my frame and panel sides flush to face frame, so that the corners resemble posts.

Here's two tricks I've done for large cabinets.

1)build face frame and side together in the shop, but keep separate from cabinet. The corner is obviously fragile, so use two L shaped braces with Pocket screws to support it during transport. Unless the stairway is really tight, you can get the face frame assembly in by itself.

2)build the side panel with the corner face frame stile, and leave the rail joints to the rest of the face frame unglued. You will want to fully assemble the face frame and end panel, sand and finish, and then before delivery take apart at the dry joint. It's amazing how well this can be reassembled on site with a little glue and look like it never was separate. This is the same trick I use for wall to wall fitted cabinets--leave one stile with a dry glue joint so you can take it off to get the cabinet in the opening.

-Steve

Joe Chritz
05-06-2010, 8:33 AM
You can also use biscuits in place of a dado for alignment. Just shoot for a 1/32" reveal when you do the set up and everything will go together just fine. That is close enough to flush that euro slides mount great.

I'm not sure what your assembly method is but with finished sides I would butt joint the bottom, pocket screw on the FF and plant on the back. This could all be pre-assembled in the shop, knocked down and put together on site.

Joe