PDA

View Full Version : how to control static electricity on sheetstock?

Steve knight
05-05-2010, 6:57 PM
I have been cutting plastic that has terrible static. I can't vacuum my table off as the shaving stick to the spoilboard.
Plus when I remove the pieces shavings fly everywhere. I tried having a copper wire dragging on the surface and connected to my dc ground wire but that does not help.

George Brown
05-05-2010, 8:37 PM
The only thing I can think of is using an antistatic spray. It comes in cans and is used by the electronics industry to control static when working with computers, etc. Don't know the price or how often you'd have to reapply. Electronics supply places carry it.

Steve knight
05-05-2010, 8:43 PM
someone told me to wipe with alcohol and that worked. I did not have a spray bottle but I an hoping I can just spray it on.

George Brown
05-05-2010, 8:45 PM
someone told me to wipe with alcohol and that worked. I did not have a spray bottle but I an hoping I can just spray it on.

Use Absolute, and if it does not work, you can always drink it :D

Gerry Grzadzinski
05-05-2010, 9:13 PM
Wipe the table with a fabric softener sheet for the clothes dryer.

George Brown
05-05-2010, 9:16 PM
Wipe the table with a fabric softener sheet for the clothes dryer.

Good Idea! That stuff is antistatic. Also, you can get a spray for clothes that reduces static, seen it advertised on TV.

Steve knight
05-05-2010, 9:39 PM
Use Absolute, and if it does not work, you can always drink it :D
then I would make even more mistakes (G)
I never had a problem with sintra before. but this has a plastic protective sheet. remove it instant static.
I like the idea of using the sheet on the spoilboard.