PDA

View Full Version : Auto inspection before warranty over?

Brian Penning
05-05-2010, 4:43 PM
Anyone ever hear of getting a car inspected(better by the dealer, no?) just prior to the expiration of the warranty? It's about $90 here for an 85 point inspection.
Worth doing?
Recommended?
FWIW it's a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan

Chuck Wintle
05-05-2010, 5:07 PM
Anyone ever hear of getting a car inspected(better by the dealer, no?) just prior to the expiration of the warranty? It's about $90 here for an 85 point inspection.
Worth doing?
Recommended?
FWIW it's a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan

yes it is a good idea but better to deal with a private garage than the dealer...more trustworthy in my opinion. Then go to the dealer with the list of problems.

Jeff Monson
05-05-2010, 7:46 PM
I'd say its a good idea, most dealers around here dont charge for that service. Its money in their pockets for anything that they find wrong. If I had to pay for the inspection, I would take it to a REPUTABLE independant shop and have them go over it thoroughly, then bring the results to the dealer.

Mac McQuinn
05-05-2010, 8:38 PM
I've typically taken my vehicles in at 59,000 miles for a scheduled 60K maintenance inspection when warranty runs out at 60,000 miles. Figured It might save me some money and headaches in the long haul.

Mac

Paul Ryan
05-05-2010, 9:14 PM
yes it is a good idea but better to deal with a private garage than the dealer...more trustworthy in my opinion. Then go to the dealer with the list of problems.

I am sorry if I offend any one, but this statement is the one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard. Everyone here is now dumber for having read that.

It is inspection before the warranty expires. Why would you not trust the dealer. They are the only shop that can repair it for free under factory warranty. An independent shop wont they can only speculate on repairs. Besides they aren't trained as well.

I think a pre-warranty expiration inspection is a wast of money no matter who does it. You might as well go to your local palm reader and buy her crystal ball, that is what you are asking the tech to do. If you have had the regular required maintenance performed by a dealer they will have repaired what they have notice along the way. But you would know about this because they would have told you you have "such and such leaking" or blah blah blah. If you have had an independent shop do your service you may not have been informed. The dealer has no reason not to inform you of repairs that need to be performed while under warranty. They still make money on parts and labor. If you have had the regular maintenance performed by an independent shop you trust. Then they should have informed you of anything they have noticed while doing your service the past 36k miles. Other than leaks the dealer isn't really going to check the vehicle over for anything for the $80.00. If you have concerns, rattles, squeeks, nosises, etc bring it in for one of those and have it fixed. If the vehicle runs and drives like it was new. Save your money.

Jeff Monson
05-05-2010, 11:29 PM
I am sorry if I offend any one, but this statement is the one of the most idiots things I have ever heard. Everyone here is now dumber for having read that.

It is inspection before the warranty expires. Why would you not trust the dealer. They are the only shop that can repair it for free under factory warranty. An independent shop wont they can only speculate on repairs. Besides they aren't trained as well.

I think a pre-warranty expiration inspection is a wast of money no matter who does it. You might as well go to your local palm reader and buy her crystal ball, that is what you are asking the tech to do. If you have had the regular required maintenance performed by a dealer they will have repaired what they have notice along the way. But you would know about this because they would have told you you have "such and such leaking" or blah blah blah. If you have had an independent shop do your service you may not have been informed. The dealer has no reason not to inform you of repairs that need to be performed while under warranty. They still make money on parts and labor. If you have had the regular maintenance performed by an independent shop you trust. Then they should have informed you of anything they have noticed while doing your service the past 36k miles. Other than leaks the dealer isn't really going to check the vehicle over for anything for the $80.00. If you have concerns, rattles, squeeks, nosises, etc bring it in for one of those and have it fixed. If the vehicle runs and drives like it was new. Save your money.

Yes it is true, dealers are the only ones able to work on cars, and they truly are the most trustworthy people in town.

Tom Godley
05-06-2010, 10:00 AM
I am a bit confused by this question - what are we inspecting?
The items that are looked at during a typical vehicle inspection are items not covered by most vehicle warranties. Most of the inspection is for wear items.

I always do a search on one of the forums related to the particular car - that way you can find out the common failure points. Then see if any early signs are evident.

I agree - it is always a good idea to take the car into the dealer a few months and a few thousand miles prior to the warranty ending and have the common failure points looked over. Also ask and make sure that all the software is up to date.

My experience has been that the dealers are very happy to do this as it adds to the service work that otherwise would be lost.