PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new Porter Cable 7518? Good Idea? Dumb Idea?

Rick Markham
05-05-2010, 4:35 PM
I wanted y'alls opinion on this one, Do I or don't I buy a Porter Cable 7518? Has Black and Decker ruined this industry standard? Am I better off spending my money on something else. I am setting up a wing on my table saw as a router table, with a lift. This is going to be a dedicated router. What are your honest thoughts, and reasons? Thanks!

Van Huskey
05-05-2010, 4:39 PM
I just bought a "current" 7518 motor and it seems just as good as my older ones. Hard to tell if it will last as long but until I see different I will continue to buy PC routers if everyone chys away from them without any real evidence that they are going downhill I can assure you they will then. The 7518 is the lift motor and I don't wanna lose it.

Rick Markham
05-05-2010, 4:47 PM
That's kind of my opinion too Van! I have wanted one for several years, and I finally get to do a set up for a table that I have always wanted. I think it is definitely worth the risk, so I think I will anty up and buy it tomorrow (if they have one in stock)

Nick Mastropietro
05-05-2010, 4:58 PM
I have one installed in a custom router table - more than enough power, this router get's-er-done.

Chris Tsutsui
05-05-2010, 6:24 PM
I have about a year old 7518 in a router table and to me, PC has held up the standard they had a decade ago.

It's got plenty of power not to bog down doing most router table type jobs and seems to work the same as my old 7539 I got used.

Rick Markham
05-05-2010, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the input! I am definitely going to pick one up tomorrow! :D

Keith Outten
05-05-2010, 10:54 PM
About three to four years ago PC started using inexpensive bearings in the 7518 motors. This caused a lot of people, particularly CNC owners, to be upset when the routers started overheating at the chucks. I don't know how long it was before PC rectified the mistake but the second one I purchased a year ago didn't have the overheating problem.

If you get one that has been on the shelf for awhile don't be surprised if the chuck heats up to the point that you have to wear a glove to change router bits.

Rick Markham
05-05-2010, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the info Keith, I will definitely keep that in mind. Hopefully I will get one that "hasn't been around" for too super long.

Rick Fisher
05-06-2010, 1:38 AM
Hey Rick.. I got one in January .. an anniversary gift from LOML..

Its a heck of a good router.. I have probably only got an hour on it total, but wow does it have power compared to my 1-3/4 hp model.

Jay Jolliffe
05-06-2010, 5:25 AM
I have one in my router table. The only problem I have with it is I have to shut it off to change speed. When it was new I could change speeds when it was running. Also if the chip collector isn't running when I'm using it, it seems to get really hot. The collector draws air across it when it's running & cools it off. It's about three years old

Larry Edgerton
05-06-2010, 6:51 AM
I have four. Mine are all older, but they are awesome, and they just keep on making chips. I like them for freehand use as the weight is an advantage as far as keeping the cut smooth with larger bits. That and the PC 310's, which I have seven of, are my favorites.

scott spencer
05-06-2010, 6:56 AM
Rick - I don't follow the prices of these things too closely, but I did notice that Tyler Tool's got refurbed 7518s for $290 shipped (http://www.tylertool.com/portercable-7518r.html). Good luck!

Brian Tymchak
05-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Rick - I don't follow the prices of these things too closely, but I did notice that Tyler Tool's got refurbed 7518s for $290 shipped (http://www.tylertool.com/portercable-7518r.html). Good luck!

Just happened to be on Woodcrafts site so I checked. They still have them new for $300, motor only which is what you want for a router table. (#821719). And I noticed free shipping today for orders over $25.

...Maybe I should get another... :rolleyes:

pat warner
05-06-2010, 12:56 PM
"Do I or don't I buy a Porter Cable 7518? "

In my view, only if you your dealer is handy and if trouble occurs: They trade or refund on the spot.

Rick Markham
05-06-2010, 9:17 PM
Well as usual things didn't go as planned at the Local (hour drive) Woodcraft. I got in there (first time there by the way) became overwhelmed by all of the things that I wanted... Intended completely on buying the 7518 Motor only even found it and carried it around for awhile... Left with a Festool TS55 Track saw with two 55" rails. I looked at the Dewalt track saw too, spent a whole lot of time deciding which one to get, ended up with the Festool, it ended up being "cheaper" :rolleyes: Ugh... I can never go back to that store... I left home with a wallet full of twenties, and good intentions. Came home with an empty wallet, (granted a very nice saw, which I really need for sheet goods, and large cross cuts) and still no closer to getting my router table set up... Oh well, I didn't have enough to complete my setup for that anyway today :D (I can justify absolutely anything... somehow:eek:)

Brian Kincaid
05-07-2010, 9:48 AM
That's funny Rick, hope you enjoy your new tracksaw. I still want one of those TS55 or 75s despite the fact that I already have a good tracksaw setup. Must be the Festool-itis.

-Brian

george wilson
05-07-2010, 9:57 AM
Bosch makes a much better router than PC. I had 2 PC's for many years. To test a router,turn it on,then off. Listen to it just as it comes to a stop. The Bosch doesn't rattle as it comes to a stop the way the PC will. I tested several routers in a store,and selected the variable speed Bosch to use in a duplicating carver I am building. I like the variable speed. I don't think routers need to run quite as fast as they do. By just turning the speed down a little,the router isn't nearly as noisy as it is at full blast,and works just fine.

Rick Markham
05-07-2010, 2:58 PM
You know George, I have a Bosch 1617EVS and I love it, I am "on the fence" whether it is a better option for me to "save" 100 dollars and buy the Bosch (realizing I will have to buy an adapter for a lift), then have a dedicated plunge base for my FMT jig, and get an extended collet so I can do above the table bit changes and have a dedicated router for a table . I have never had any issues with any of my bosch power tools and love every one of them. I'm honestly kind of torn, that is part of the reason the tracksaw came home with me, I know it is exactly what I want for sheet goods and large crosscuts. It might be a better option for me to go the Bosch route, guess I just need more time to ponder the options. Any words of wisdom y'all can offer are always welcome and appreciated. I realize the horsepower difference, anyones experience a bosch 1617 not being up to snuff? I really like only buying tools Once now! I don't swing Rail and stile bits, but I never know what the future holds for me!

Chip Lindley
05-08-2010, 1:14 AM
You can find good pre-owned P-C 7518's on eBay and even CL. I kicked myself for not calling fast enough on CL--"New in box P-C 7518 $150" !!!!!!! Grrrrrr!!

When your walletful of $20s appreciates, check there and save some serious cash. Meanwhile enjoy that Festool thingie!

Mike Kelly
04-10-2015, 7:17 PM
Rick, I have had a PC in my ShopBot for years. It started screaming at me yesterday so I replaced it with one I got off of EBay 4 years ago anticipating someday I would need it. Just needs bearings, but it has had many hours of tedious 3D things and other projects under it's belt. I have had a Hitachi in and out of my table router that has been real good. I have had a TR12 and M12V that are still working fine for table work. I gave up on router lifts after I spent too much on them and none of them at the time was worth a darn. Went back to the phenolic plate and pop it out to change bits. It's too easy. Used the M12V in the table today along with the Bot to make three marble games.

Keith Weber
04-10-2015, 9:37 PM
Intended completely on buying the 7518 Motor only even found it and carried it around for awhile... Left with a Festool TS55 Track saw with two 55" rails.

The carrying it around for a while and then ditching it comment cracked me up! Did you take it back to it's proper spot, or is there a Porter Cable box sitting all alone and neglected next to the Festool display? LOL!

Mark Carlson
04-10-2015, 10:35 PM
Thats a tough one. I dont know what I'll do if my 15 year old 7518 ever needs replacing. I'd probably chance it if it happened tomorrow. Recently I decided I needed a PC 310 router, and ended up buying a brand new one on ebay (for a lot of money), and a barely used one (not cheap). Must stop buying tools and spares, and accessories for said tools...

I like to wait until a really good tool is discontinued and then decide I want it.

~mark

Larry Edgerton
04-11-2015, 5:36 AM
Thats a tough one. I dont know what I'll do if my 15 year old 7518 ever needs replacing. I'd probably chance it if it happened tomorrow. Recently I decided I needed a PC 310 router, and ended up buying a brand new one on ebay (for a lot of money), and a barely used one (not cheap). Must stop buying tools and spares, and accessories for said tools...

I like to wait until a really good tool is discontinued and then decide I want it.

~mark

Old thread, but Porter Cable made two gems in the router department. I have to disagree with Georges old comment above, its too general. The 7518 has no comparable in its price range, it is just a strong and smooth router, simple and effective. I run some very large custom bits in them freehand and would not want to use any other router. For one the bearings are huge, a big plus. I like all the weight when I am running a big bit. there is a reason you see them in lower end CNC rigs.

The 310 is the other gem. It was designed as a commercial router, was always expensive, but is tough as heck. When I read they were discontinuing them I ordered 4 more for a total of 9. I keep certain bits in them all the time that I use often, no changing bits.

100's are nice, smooth, but too large for how little power they have and not being able to run a 1/2" collet is a pain. I only have three of them.

The 690 series does not sound good, I will agree. But they sound bad for a long time and do a good cut. I only have about ten of those. I do like the comparable Bosch a lot better, but keeping all my routers using the same collet is handy.

So no arguments from me Mark.

I have tried a couple of the after Dewalt ones, gave them away.

Chris Hachet
12-07-2016, 1:23 PM
Old thread, but Porter Cable made two gems in the router department. I have to disagree with Georges old comment above, its too general. The 7518 has no comparable in its price range, it is just a strong and smooth router, simple and effective. I run some very large custom bits in them freehand and would not want to use any other router. For one the bearings are huge, a big plus. I like all the weight when I am running a big bit. there is a reason you see them in lower end CNC rigs.

The 310 is the other gem. It was designed as a commercial router, was always expensive, but is tough as heck. When I read they were discontinuing them I ordered 4 more for a total of 9. I keep certain bits in them all the time that I use often, no changing bits.

100's are nice, smooth, but too large for how little power they have and not being able to run a 1/2" collet is a pain. I only have three of them.

The 690 series does not sound good, I will agree. But they sound bad for a long time and do a good cut. I only have about ten of those. I do like the comparable Bosch a lot better, but keeping all my routers using the same collet is handy.

So no arguments from me Mark.

I have tried a couple of the after Dewalt ones, gave them away.

Playing thread necromancer here, thinking of a 7518....my 690's have run hard for years for with no issues....

Ben Rivel
12-07-2016, 1:37 PM
Playing thread necromancer here, thinking of a 7518....my 690's have run hard for years for with no issues....For handheld or table use?

Ken Schroeder
12-07-2016, 1:38 PM
Check into Pat Warner's offset base for the 7518. The 7518 can be a solid fixed base router in addition to a table router.
www.patwarner.com

Ken

Malcolm McLeod
12-07-2016, 2:36 PM
I have one, bought for use in a lift table. It is 3-4 yrs old, has never missed a beat, and will swing anything smaller than a 1978 Crown Victoria (bit-wise).

I bought the motor-only version, since it was to be dedicated to the table. I've never tried hand-held use, but other than dealing with the start-up torque, I can't imagine it would not perform just as well. I might hesitate to use a 3-1/2" bit in it while hand-held, but this is more a matter of the bit's suitability, not the router's ability to 'swing' it.