PDA

View Full Version : Mirka Ceros Sander

Bill Reed
05-05-2010, 4:21 PM
Does anyone know anything about this sander and whether it can be obtained in the United States?

Bill

J.R. Rutter
05-05-2010, 4:36 PM
Looks nice. Form factor of a pneumatic without the air required.

$470 + shipping - WOW.

I have not seen them here yet.

Graham Wintersgill
05-05-2010, 5:44 PM
US subsiduary is

http://www.mirka-usa.com/home.html

Based in Ohio it seems.

Rob Wright
05-05-2010, 6:47 PM
Wow! Must be a phase converter to convert to 3-phase and then to the brushless motor. Even comes in a systainer/Tanos

video here:

http://www.mefeedia.com/watch/30652579

J.R. Rutter
05-05-2010, 11:55 PM
I think that it is a transformer to power a DC motor.

Rob Wright
05-06-2010, 9:28 AM
J.R. - yes you are correct . A little more digging and found some more info on it.

John Coloccia
05-06-2010, 9:48 AM
Pardon me while I take advantage of a once in a lifetime opportunity...

Hey, why don't you save yourself some bucks and buy a nice Festool?

LOL.

Bill Reed
05-06-2010, 10:26 AM
Do you know that this sander is more expensive than a Festool? I haven't been able to find it for sale in the US so don't have a clue about price. I'm looking for a lightweight, compact sander and the Festool sanders I have seen at trade shows are too big for my hands and too heavy.

Chris Friesen
05-06-2010, 1:39 PM
Popular Woodworking did a preview of it:

http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/editorsblog/Ceros+Woodworking+Sander+From+Heaven.aspx

They seemed pretty impressed.

Eric DeSilva
05-06-2010, 1:58 PM
Do you know that this sander is more expensive than a Festool?

The UK pricing, bundled with four boxes of paper, is 315 pounds, which, as J.R. noted, is about $470, considerably more than a Festool ROS. It is light, however--the specs say about 0.8 kg, which is about half Festool.

But this is sort of a different creature. Anyone know about brushless DC motors? Does this have the torque to really sand?

Van Huskey
05-06-2010, 2:15 PM
But this is sort of a different creature. Anyone know about brushless DC motors? Does this have the torque to really sand?

BLDC motors offer several advantages over brushed motors, including higher efficiency and reliability, reduced noise, longer lifetime (no brush and commutator wear), elimination of sparks from the commutator, more power, and overall reduction of EMI. The short answer is yes, the long answer is it depends... as long as the motor is properly speced it should be a better mousetrap.

Dave Lehnert
05-06-2010, 8:31 PM
Pardon me while I take advantage of a once in a lifetime opportunity...

Hey, why don't you save yourself some bucks and buy a nice Festool?

LOL.

LOL!!! Now thats something you don't see every day. Save some bucks and by a Festool.

Gerry Morrell
05-05-2011, 2:17 PM
Bill, I purchased the 5" sander last Thursday . I had to call Mirka to find a vendor in the Dallas-Fort worth area. Mirka put me in touch with the vendor rep who put me in touch with a Fort Worth retailer.

I have been very happy with the sander so far. Plenty of power, low noise, and vibration. I had been searching for a electric sander with a low profile that would fit in the palm of my hand. This one fits my hand and is able to sand very gently or very aggressively depending on the speed set by the user. I have used only it for a few hours, but am very impressed with it so far.

John Coloccia
05-05-2011, 4:20 PM
For what it's worth, Woodcraft in Manchester, CT and Springfield, MA started carrying them. I played with it for a few seconds the other day (not on wood...just fooling around). This thing is extremely impressive in every way. It's well worth a look if you spend any significant amount of time sanding.

I believe the 5" and 6" are both $495 or thereabouts.

Kirk Duff
05-05-2011, 5:28 PM
I have owned one for over a month now. I love the power, size and weight of the unit. the noise level is next to none. I ran it for over 6 hrs one day and could still feel my hands. it has lots of power. dust collection is great.

I tried the abrant disks that came with it they last 3 to 4 times longer than my north disks no dust the finish that is left be hinde is great. the only thing that scared me was the price. After I got it it was worth every penny. I hate sanding with a passion. not any more

when you buy yours get the dust collection hose from your mirka dealer.
IKwould definately repurchase a ceros sander

Kirk

Dan Weaver
05-05-2011, 9:36 PM
I just bought the Mirka and I have the Festool Rotex . The Mirka is quiet smooth and just as fast as the Festool. The Rotex was so hard on my hands that my fingers locked up like claw. I had to use hot water and a rod to pry my fingers apart at 3 AM. I will be ebaying the Rotex. Dan