PDA

View Full Version : Pocket hole bit for Hardi-Trim

William Powell
05-05-2010, 1:59 PM
I'm slowly putting in some picture frame style window trim, exterior. The first two I joined the 4 pieces with pocket hole screws. It was pretty tough drilling. Are there any carbide bits, or another method that escapes me, to drill the pocket holes in cement board?
Thanks

Carroll Courtney
05-05-2010, 4:45 PM
I'm in the process of installing trim and lap siding on my house.Not knowing the best ways,I went to James Hardi website and there was nothing on drilling pocket holes for the trim other than just butt joints using polyurethane glue,and galv nails.Google it and see what pops up,good luck---Carroll

William Powell
05-05-2010, 4:49 PM
Thanks for the wish of good luck. Oddly, my bits seem to be fine but it was really tough drilling. I'm guessing it is because they were making dust and not little chips. I'll ponder on it some more.

John R Green
05-05-2010, 4:57 PM
Sounds like you're trying to avoid nail holes to patch. Galv or SS finish nails - on 4" & 6" wide material 2 rows of nails 1" from edge @ 16" o.c. Never heard of pocket screws method.

William Powell
05-05-2010, 5:05 PM
I'm referring to trim which is 1" thick and is mitered on the ends. Like a picture frame. Sure, I have to nail it to the house but I am trying to keep the joints as tight as I can.
Thanks

Jim Terrill
05-05-2010, 5:14 PM
You might want to contact the manufacturer and ask them. I know some of the engineered products they advise you to use butt joints and the caulking because the material needs to expand and contract, if you use pocket screws and it tries to do either one, it may break the screws.

William Powell
05-05-2010, 5:24 PM
Thanks Jim.
The ones I've put up seem to be fine with our weather cycle. I mentioned slowly.

And why, when I clearly hit the period, does this put a comma in?

John R Green
05-05-2010, 5:30 PM
is not much of an issue with Hardie Products.
I sell Hardie Products so I get to see different installations here in Florida.
What I've seen that works the best is.....if you want to miter corners....

Wipe dust from miter cut.
Cover the face of the joint with caulk. Doesn't take much.
Butt the joint & face nail with finish nails
Wipe away what squeezes out of the joint.
Done.

Glen Butler
05-05-2010, 10:28 PM
I'll second John. You are making a mountain out of a mole hill if I am using the term correctly. No one it the world (except maybe you) is going to care that the joint has a gap and simply filling it with caulk will take care of the problem, especially since it is painted.

Clisby Clark
05-07-2010, 10:13 PM
I know your question was based on using Harditrim, but if you aren't already committed to Hardi, may I suggest you use a synthetic-weather proof product called Miratec http://www.miratectrim.com/. It cuts clean with regular carpenter blades and IMO is easier to paint. You could use pocket screws, biscuits, or Dominoes to join if you want.