PDA

View Full Version : How can you tell when...

Louie Ballis
05-05-2010, 1:57 PM
Now that I have been wood working for 3 years and am on my second generation of tools. A level up from entry level POS's.

How can you tell when its time to replace/sharpen your router bits, saw blades (table and bandsaw), planer/jointer knieves, etc?

Do I wait for the burning wood smell or ?

Lee Schierer
05-05-2010, 2:05 PM
Usually just before you start getting the burning wood smell you will notice that the cut is slower or not as smooth as you remember that blade or cutter making in the past. When that happens it it time to sharpen and or replace.

Paul Atkins
05-05-2010, 2:19 PM
It's time when the cut is not like it is when new. Usually this does not mean it gets done though. As a full time turner, I sharpen all day long to keep stuff razor sharp to get the best cut and reduce sanding. As Del Stubbs told me once, 'If you can't shave with it, it's dull."

Mike Reinholtz
05-05-2010, 2:22 PM
As soon as blades don't cut like new, I send them to my brother in law for sharpening. He cleans them up, gets em razor sharp and coats the edges. As soon as you notice the cut slowing down at all or not as clean, it's time.

george wilson
05-05-2010, 2:26 PM
When your bandsaw stops sawing willingly and freely. It may begin sawing in jerky motions. It will be dull before it starts burning the wood. By the time burning starts,the teeth are VERY dull.

The jointer should also cut smoothly and without RATTLING the wood in any way,if you don't bear down on the wood hard enough. It should be effortless to push the wood forward into the cutters. Look also for raised streaks along your wood after planing. These are from nicks in the blades. Sliding a blade sideways can eliminate these streaks for a while,if the blades aren't really dull yet. Nicks can be caused by any kind of debris in the wood,like sand,etc.,obviously nails,too. I always make certain that the wood is absolutely clean before planing or sawing.

I worked in a museum,running a behind the scenes toolmaking shop where other craftsmen would sometimes want to use the machines. Their wood was often dirty or sandy from being stacked out of doors. I made them vacuum off the wood before using the machinery. Some of those guys were caught(before I got the shop) running wood through the planer with sand jumping up and down on it. They just had no regard for machines,or the effort it took to change the blades. They may not have liked my rules,but that was tough. My rules were sensible.