PDA

View Full Version : CL Advice - Grizzly G1182 6" or Ridgid 6" Jointer

Brandon Weiss
05-05-2010, 11:52 AM
Both are asking $200. The Grizzly looks like it needs some rust cleanup on the beds and fence, the Ridgid looks pretty good. It's the newer 4 leg model. I know nothing about the Grizzly but have heard good things about the Ridgid. Any advice? $200 fair for the asking price on the Grizzly? I'm thinking $200 is a good value for the Ridgid.

scott allen
05-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Hard to say without having more details on the Grizzly - there are simply too many different models out there. Things to consider:

- Age of jointer (newer is better - and this is coming from an OWWM'er). Grizzly's quality has improved consistently over the years.
- Length of beds
- Motor HP
- Overall condition

I think $200 would be a fair but not gloatable price for the Ridgid, unless it's in new condition. The Grizzly at that price could be either a gloat or too much $$ depending on the above.

Take this advice as being worth what you paid for it.

Scott

Edit: I just noticed you listed the model number of the Grizzly in your title - the G1182 is a nice jointer, and if all you would need to do is clean up the beds I'd seriously consider it. Having the enclosed base is a huge plus for dust collection.

Brandon Weiss
05-05-2010, 12:48 PM
Edit: I just noticed you listed the model number of the Grizzly in your title - the G1182 is a nice jointer, and if all you would need to do is clean up the beds I'd seriously consider it. Having the enclosed base is a huge plus for dust collection.

Thanks Scott. I was sold on the Ridgid until I saw the Grizzly listing. The Ridgid "looks" brand new from the pictures and the Grizzly looks like it could use some cleanup. I can visibly see the rust on the beds, this isn't devastating rust but it isn't minor either from the looks at it. Will take some good scrubbing to get rid of it. Any advice on what else to look for when I see these two items in person? This will be my first jointer purchase as I've been waiting for something in this price range.

scott allen
05-05-2010, 1:43 PM
Jointers are pretty simple machines - not much that can go wrong with them.

If you've got a good straightedge, take it with you and check the tables and fence with a set of feeler gauges. Check them diagonally as well as straight on and look for any gaps. I'll leave it to others to determine how much of a gap might be acceptable. Don't worry about whether the tables are coplanar.

If you don't have a good straightedge and want one on the cheap, go to a place that sells drafting supplies and grab a 36"-ish T-square. Those things are relatively cheap and extremely accurate.

Run the motor and give it a listen.

If you can, run a piece of wood through - this isn't really necessary, but if the jointer is not set up correctly, or the knives are knicked or need sharpening you'll see it on the jointed surface, and you might be able to negotiate a better price.

I wouldn't worry about the rust on the surface of the table and fence - it cleans up pretty easy if you use some WD-40 and a razor blade followed by some more WD-40 and a maroon Scotch-Brite pad (auto parts stores should sell these). Some paste wax and you're good to go.

Scott

scott spencer
05-05-2010, 2:34 PM
These models have very similar designs on the business end. The Griz might me an inch or two longer, is a bit taller, and has an enclosed base vs open legs. Considering the condition difference, I'd probably go with the Ridgid, but I'd guess the Griz will clean up good if the rust is only surface deep...probably worth closer to $150 in current condition.