PDA

View Full Version : "A fan from Eaton Rapids caught that one..."

Kent A Bathurst
05-05-2010, 8:59 AM
Ernie Harwell
1918 - 2010

Those of you who listened to Tigers baseball over the years recognize the nod to Ernie's call after each foul into the stands - naming the Michigan city or town or village or hamlet that the fan who caught the ball hailed from. I could never figure out how he knew every fan's hometowns ;).

Or - "He stood there like the house by the side of the road, and watched that one go by" after a called third strike.

The only broadcaster ever traded for a player - from the Atlanta Crackers to the Brooklyn Dodgers.

I'm going to put on my fitted wool Tigers cap and my replica Whitaker jersey, and go sit on the pair of Tiger Stadium seats that are on the patio here in Atlanta.

Thanks so much, Ernie, from a little kid in '68 and a much older, but still little kid at game time, in '84. The halcyon days.

Siiiggghhhh.

Chris Damm
05-05-2010, 9:07 AM
He will be missed!

Jim O'Dell
05-05-2010, 9:22 AM
The Rangers broadcasters were talking about him very fondly during the game last night. He had a good run and made a lot of people smile. Jim.

Andy Pedler
05-05-2010, 11:08 PM
Like most kids growing up in Michigan in the 80's I listened to Ernie Harwell every night during summer. When it was time for bed I'd turn on the radio next to the bed and listen to the Tigers game for about a half-inning before falling asleep. Back then I never questioned how the radio turned itself off during the night.

I loved Harwell's calls of the game. He painted a picture like nobody else. Like Kent, I was amazed how he could see everyone who caught foul balls and how he knew everyone at the ballpark. The boy from Coopersville sitting behind the dugout. The family from Hartford out for the game.

Moreso, along with being a terrific play-by-play voice, he was a truly classy man who lived his life the way we all should. You should all read Mitch Albom's article about Harwell here. Albom is, in my opinion, one of the best writers in America right now and he sums up what Michiganders lost with Harwell's passing.

http://www.freep.com/article/20100505/COL01/5050493/1321/Ernie-Harwells-gone-never-forgotten

For those of you who didn't have the chance to listen to Harwell and may wonder what all the fuss is about, all I can say is that for three generations of people in Michigan he was a common bond that brought everyone together. He wasn't just the Tigers radio voice, he was a friend that you welcomed into your home every night and whose voice gave you a window in to Tiger Stadium.

Godspeed Ernie!

ap

Mac McQuinn
05-06-2010, 12:56 AM
As a kid in the 1960's on a warm summer day in Michigan, listening to Ernie call a Tiger's game is like looking back at one of those truly warm and fuzzy moments in life. God's Speed Ernie....

Mac

Joe Chritz
05-06-2010, 8:58 AM
I don't follow pro baseball like I used to but I can tell you he was an iconic symbol of the old tigers ball team.

Kent, I was there in person for one of Gibson's home runs into the lumber yard across the street and for the no-hitter pitched by Jack Morris.

My favorite saying is still "called out for excessive window shopping".

Joe

Kent A Bathurst
05-06-2010, 10:30 AM
I don't follow pro baseball like I used to but I can tell you he was an iconic symbol of the old tigers ball team.

Kent, I was there in person for one of Gibson's home runs into the lumber yard across the street and for the no-hitter pitched by Jack Morris.

My favorite saying is still "called out for excessive window shopping".

Joe

Joe - I was there for Gibby's shot. Missed Morris' no-hitter. Through no genius on my part (just right-of-third-refusal access to company reserved seats) I ended up at >40 home games in '84. Took 'em wire-to-wire: Opening Day (LF foul pole obscured twice by snow flurries), the day they clinched the Div, the day they cleaned out KC for the pennant, and one WS game. Somewhere in the TV archives is footage of me in a dark blue double-breasted Armani suit dodging cops and ushers in the infield after the KC defeat. There were a hundred other fools out there as well - they never touched me :D, but I had the impression the cops weren't trying very hard - they were laughing too much.

Great days, those. Now live in Atlanta - they've got this thing down here I just don't understand - something they call National League? I don't get it.