PDA

View Full Version : Segmented Vase

mike fuson
05-04-2010, 10:03 PM
My buddy Keith Burns gave me some Misquite when he was at my shop last month and I had just enough to make this little vase. Not one of my best but the wife likes it so thats good enough for me. Measures 4 1/2 x 6 with some friction polish on it. Thanks for looking.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/segmented/segmentedvase.jpg

Steve Schlumpf
05-04-2010, 10:07 PM
Mike - looks great!

Just had our turning club meeting tonight and we had a demo on segmenting. Sure makes me appreciate your joinery and also the thought process when designing the detail ring.

Yup - real nice work!

David Warkentin
05-04-2010, 10:08 PM
Looks good to me! I enjoy segmenting so far:). David

Bernie Weishapl
05-04-2010, 10:12 PM
That is a beauty Mike. Really like the design and form.

Doug W Swanson
05-04-2010, 11:26 PM
Mike,

Don't sell yourself short. You did an excellent job. I've done one segmented piece and the joints were not even close to what you have done with your pieces.

Doug

John Keeton
05-05-2010, 5:48 AM
Mike, this piece may not be as complex as previous ones you have done, but it has a certain simplicity that makes it very appealing. Nothing in the design is contradicting, and the mesquite really is a beautiful wood. It is a nice piece, in my book!

I have been trying to locate some mesquite, but it is a little difficult to find in the shops around here. Should have searched out some on my last trip to TX!! Kudos to Keith on the gift!

Bill Wyko
05-05-2010, 5:29 PM
AHHH, another masterpiece by the master. Great job as always Mike. Always a pleasure to see your creations. How did you like turning the Mesquite? We have it by the truck loads here in the desert. Can be tough as nails.

Baxter Smith
05-05-2010, 5:40 PM
Not as fancy as some you have done but I like the warm colors and form.

David E Keller
05-05-2010, 7:27 PM
I thinks it looks great. The coloring is very appealing. I shy away from segmented pieces with very busy patterns, but this seems like just the right amount of detail for my liking.

Keith Burns
05-05-2010, 8:21 PM
Excellent piece Mike. Love the feature ring and the colors. And you thought you wouldn't get anything out of that wood, I knew better. You have talent.

Robert McGowen
05-05-2010, 8:31 PM
The form is great. I almost think it would work better without the feature ring. (and be a lot less work!)