PDA

View Full Version : LV versus LN Low angle Jack Plane

Mark Singer
11-18-2004, 1:59 PM
My previous post about planes was helpful. Gene Collison mentioned how muched he liked the Lee Valley Low Angle Jack....as compared with the Lie Neilsen. There is about $30 difference in price...LN being more. Can others that own either or both comment. Thank you!

Gene Collison
11-18-2004, 2:09 PM
My previous post about planes was helpful. Gene Collison mentioned how muched he liked the Lee Valley Low Angle Jack....as compared with the Lie Neilsen. There is about $30 difference in price...LN being more. Can others that own either or both comment. Thank you!

Mark,

Here is a link to a comparison of a rehabed Stanley 62 and the new 62.5 by Derek Cohen.

http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/handtools.pl?read=48324

Gene

Tyler Howell
11-18-2004, 2:18 PM
The LV LA Jack is my first quality plane. Nothing to compare it to. Nice Manly tote, good weight and balance. Road ready right out of the box.
Have 400bft fo edge preparation on the odometer and it's still fun.

Tony Zaffuto
11-18-2004, 2:43 PM
I've got a L-N LA jack and the more I use it, the more I like it. In all fairness I have not tried, handled or even seen in person, the LV version.

I've got the regular blade, plus a second ground at 37 degrees.

The plane is not my "go to" for everything, however, it more than earns its keep and I consider it a user. My other user planes include a 605, several #4's, a 5-1/4 (incidentally one of my favorites) a 7, and several LA block planes (two Stanley 60-1/2 and a L-N 60-1/2). I also got a slew of others that I normally don't reach for, plus a few specialty planes (scrub, beader etc.)

I believe the fit and finish of L-N is top notch.

Steve Cox
11-18-2004, 2:46 PM
I have the LN LA jack but have not used the LV. The only LV plane I have or have used is the LA block plane. Having said that let me offer these observations: I like the LN plane. It works very well but the handle is a little small for me. I hold bailey pattern planes with my index finger wrapped around the blade. This is not possible with a LA jack plane and I haven't gotten used to it yet. I doubt if the LV is any better in this regard but I don't know. For all its cost and hype, the LN is basically a well made bailey pattern plane. There are no real improvements on old Stanleys. The LV has a couple of innovations that I like, one being the set screws and the other the adjusting mechanism. I haven't used them on the bench plane but I think they are basically the same as on the block plane and I love that plane.

Brad Olson
11-18-2004, 3:09 PM
I've used both LV and LN. There really wasn't much difference in my experience. I don't know if there was anything about the LN to justify the extra expense other than I believe LN come with the blades fully lapped, whereas LV you do need to do a tad more lapping (one time investment of about 20 minutes)

I prefer the handle style of Veritas planes so personally I prefer Veritas for this reason in addition to the cost factor as well.

Dan Moening
11-18-2004, 4:34 PM
I suppose I should own one before commenting, but here is about the most definitive review I've seen (bookmarked cause I don't have one yet :( and need the reference):

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=23326

here's the main page for the other reviews:

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2054

You're aware that LV has a "wishlist", right :grin:

Mark Singer
11-18-2004, 7:48 PM
Thanks,

You have sent me some very useful information and I think you are changing my mind....that is what is great about SMC!

John Weber
11-18-2004, 9:33 PM
Mark,

I think both are very functional and would be an excellent addition to any shop. However, being a design kind of guy, the LN is just a beautiful plane, simple, clean, looks and functions outstanding. Nothing against LV, I have a couple, but I don't love the look for the LV planes in general. I think it's great LV is bringing innovation to the market, and I have a couple LV's in my shop and on my Christmas list, but the LN #62 is just a super plane. Again, the wood won't know any difference, but unless one feels better in the hand, my vote is for the LN.

John

Tim Sproul
11-18-2004, 9:40 PM
Performance for either is the same.....it will all rest upon your skills to sharpen the iron, adjust the plane properly for the given job at hand and employ good technique. Same goes for any good tool.

You just have to decide if the Lie Nielsen is that much prettier. Over the long run, you'll never notice the difference in cost. Personally, I chose Veritas LA smoother and jack over the Lie Nielsen's but do get some Lie Nielsen items that Veritas has yet to offer.......I'm not so big on pretty with my tools - though I do appreciate fine craftsmanship in tools since I appreciate fine craftsmanship in furniture...and I don't think of the Veritas planes as exactly ugly nor are they excluded from the fine craftsmanship label.

Corvin Alstot
11-18-2004, 11:34 PM
Nothing against LV, I have a couple, but I don't love the look for the LV planes in general. I think it's great LV is bringing innovation to the market, and I have a couple LV's in my shop and on my Christmas list, but the LN #62 is just a super plane.

John
Mark /
I have to agree with John, both planes will perform quite well after a little sharpening and tuning, but to me what made the difference is the aesthetics. IMHO the LN62 has a better looking tote and the lever cap is significantly more refined.
Of course, the original Stanley 62 has a better looking blade and forward adjustment knob. Come to think of it, both LN, LV, Hock and others could take a lesson from turn of the century Stanley's on how to shape the top portion of their blades.

Louis Bois
11-19-2004, 7:30 AM
Just to add another option to the low angle arms race, I'd like to throw in the underdog's offering. I don't know if y'all remember the thread from Shepherd tools about their improved, improved mitre plane ?!?...where they mentioned that they were working on a low angle version?!? Well, lo and behold, the dream has become a reality.
The blade is bedded at 12 1/2 degrees and has the advantage of a full support woody bed to rest on.

I've attached a few pics to whet your appetites. The one on the left is the low-angle number...and on the right we have the improved, improved mitre!

...again, I reiterate the usual disclaimers that I am in no way affiliated with the Shepherd Tool Company...yada yada yada...

Donnie Raines
11-19-2004, 9:34 AM
To me the LN feels heavier....which, for me, aids in the control and the qauilty of the cut(less chatter).

Jerry Palmer
11-19-2004, 9:59 AM
I suppose I should own one before commenting, but here is about the most definitive review I've seen (bookmarked cause I don't have one yet :( and need the reference):

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=23326

here's the main page for the other reviews:

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2054

You're aware that LV has a "wishlist", right :grin:
Well, that does it. I'm in another quandry. I was sure that my first premium modern plane was gonna be the LV medium shoulder. Now, after reading that review, I'm second guessing and thinking maybe the LV LA Jack oughta be the one. Guess it's mostly a consideration of which will be first as I've managed to convince myself I NEED both.

Steve Wargo
11-19-2004, 10:03 AM
Then I have the LN #9 and think it works fine. As far as smoothing I'm not certain that a Low angle plane performs any better, or as well, than a standard angle plane.

Gene Collison
11-19-2004, 11:02 AM
To me the LN feels heavier....which, for me, aids in the control and the qauilty of the cut(less chatter).

The LV is 2 lbs heavier, 1" longer and has a 2 1/4" iron. That's why it's a 62.5. It's about the same as comparing a 5 and a 5 1/2 and that is exactly how they feel when using them. They don't perform the same because the 62.5 is a 1/2 size bigger. The weight difference is immediately noticable in use and equally important is the long on ramp, it really helps. I have both and compare them side by side. The blade adjustment is Norris type with a lateral adjustment, very easy with a full range of adjustment. Without discrediting the 62, I have one, you have keep your iron square when honing or prepare for a long session of grinding to straighten it out. The 62 has almost no lateral adjustment on the iron, an 1/8" the most, on my plane even less.

Gene

Donnie Raines
11-19-2004, 11:13 AM
The LV is 2 lbs heavier, 1" longer and has a 2 1/4" iron. That's why it's a 62.5. It's about the same as comparing a 5 and a 5 1/2 and that is exactly how they feel when using them. They don't perform the same because the 62.5 is a 1/2 size bigger. The weight difference is immediately noticable in use and equally important is the long on ramp, it really helps. I have both and compare them side by side. The blade adjustment is Norris type with a lateral adjustment, very easy with a full range of adjustment. Without discrediting the 62, I have one, you have keep your iron square when honing or prepare for a long session of grinding to straighten it out. The 62 has almost no lateral adjustment on the iron, an 1/8" the most, on my plane even less.

Gene
I have the LV also. I have never measured their weight, but I am very surprised that the LV is 2lbs heavier....does it even way that much?...either of them? I know that the LV has a longer sole pre-cutter....which is nice for starting the cut. I liek them both..but prefer the LN....plus it has cool cherry handles.... :rolleyes:

Donnie Raines
11-19-2004, 11:17 AM
Just visisted the web sites for both: The LV is 6 lbs and the LN is 5 1/2 pounds.

never felt that they were that heavy.... :rolleyes:

Alan Turner
11-19-2004, 11:19 AM
[QUOTE=Well, that does it. I'm in another quandry. I was sure that my first premium modern plane was gonna be the LV medium shoulder. Now, after reading that review, I'm second guessing and thinking maybe the LV LA Jack oughta be the one. Guess it's mostly a consideration of which will be first as I've managed to convince myself I NEED both.[/QUOTE]

Jerry,
As always, plane purchases depend upon usage. If you have none, then I might think in terms of a LA block. I have the LN and it gets work done every single day in the shop. YOu will ultimately need a shoulder/rabbet plane. And a smoother. And others. Ahh, the slope beckons.

Alan

Gene Collison
11-19-2004, 11:32 AM
Just visisted the web sites for both: The LV is 6 lbs and the LN is 5 1/2 pounds.

Donnie,

I'll confirm this later by actual weighing but the LN 62 is more like 4 lbs. and the 62.5 is 6 ish. I don't know what kind of scale LN has but that plane isn't 5.5 lbs. I'll weigh it in a little while just for the record.

gene

Gene Collison
11-19-2004, 11:44 AM

Ok, I was a bit off, but not too much. The LN 62 weighs 4 lbs 7 oz. plane sock and all or about the same as a #4. The LV 62.5 weighs 5 lbs. 10 oz bare. So it's still very much like a 5 and a 5 1/2. They are two different animals, that's a lot of difference in my eyes.

Gene

Gene Collison
11-19-2004, 3:51 PM
Mark,

I sent a pm with an offer but SMC tells me your mail box is full. You will have to delete something to accept it. I'll try again later in the day.

Gene

Ben Knebel
11-20-2004, 9:24 AM
[b]Just to add another option to the low angle arms race, I'd like to throw in the underdog's offering. I don't know if y'all remember the thread from Shepherd tools about their improved, improved mitre plane ?!?...where they mentioned that they were working on a low angle version?!? Well, lo and behold, the dream has become a reality.
The blade is bedded at 12 1/2 degrees and has the advantage of a full support woody bed to rest on.

Hi Folks;
I just thought I'd throw in a couple of more pics of the 2 new planes we have--the handled mitre and the LA smoother/jack.
It is a little difficult to decide what to call the LA plane as it's larger than a smoother but not quite jack size. In reality it can be used as either working just fine as a smoother or a jack (even "jack" is a misnomer when talking about an infill but hey we have to call it something).
The LA plane is available with either a 25 degree bevel on the iron or a 30 degree or both if you wish giving you effective cutting angles of 37.5 degrees or 42.5 degrees respectively.

A note on the handled mitre: We are working on a handle for it that will rotate through a full 180 degrees and be lockable in any position so the handle could be straight up--fully left or right or any where inbetween.
The 2 pictures below show the mitre and the LA side by side so you can see the difference and the other shows the LA by itself.
Regards
Ben

Bob Marino
11-21-2004, 5:55 PM
Ben,

Beautiful planes. Curious, what is the price and availability?

Bob

Ben Knebel
11-21-2004, 9:11 PM
Ben,

Beautiful planes. Curious, what is the price and availability?

Bob

Hi Bob;
The kits for these are 319.00 while the finished versions in brass are 669.00

I have a couple of kits of each available now--finished ones would have to be built out.
Regards
Ben
www.shepherdtool.com