PDA

View Full Version : No. 5 Spalted Maple w/Walnut Finial

James Combs
05-04-2010, 9:24 PM
While waiting on No 4 (the tulip) to dry some more I turned some spalted maple.

I like to call this one "Aladdin's other Lamp":) or maybe I should say bottle. I took my inspiration from John Keaton's many excellent turnings even to the point of plagiarizing one of his finials, "twice" :D once in photo shop and once on the lathe:rolleyes:;). I probably should have done the finial in black but my wife likes the walnut look even though it reminds me of Hersey's chocolate.:)

The assembly is 8.75 inches to the tip of the finial tall. The HF box is 3.75" to its rim and 4-7/8" across. The finish is one coat of thin CA and two coats of Huts Crystal Coat and one coat of Hut Gloss Wax Stick. Due to many depressions as a result of the punkiness of the wood the wax stick left them full of white wax that I couldn't rub out.:(

The transition section from the finial is a separate piece of walnut. I didn't have any walnut large enough to make the finial and transition in one piece.

The HF section has 1/8" to 3/16" walls. The finish inside is very rough. I have to get me some of those bowl sanders that chuck in a drill.

I am going to have to come up with a way to number and sign these things if I do many more, if for not other reason then to keep track of them.:) I was watching a Cindy Drozda video earlier today and she uses a vibrating scribe and actually signs hers. I may give that a try, I have one of those but have always used it on metal.;)

David E Keller
05-04-2010, 9:30 PM
Great looking wood, James. I think the natural walnut may be better with such a strong finial... Black might have made it more imposing. I really, really love that maple.

Baxter Smith
05-04-2010, 9:35 PM
Very nice James. I think the walnut looks great!

Steve Schlumpf
05-04-2010, 10:01 PM
Nice work James! Beautiful spalted maple! Nice detail work on your finial! I like the natural color of the walnut - works well with the maple!

Bernie Weishapl
05-04-2010, 10:14 PM
Nice piece James. Finial looks great. Well done.

gary Zimmel
05-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Beautiful piece James. Well done...

Richard Madison
05-04-2010, 11:30 PM
Nice work James. Agree that the chocolate finial and base look just fine on this piece. And my wife would agree too.

Jamie Straw
05-05-2010, 12:39 AM
That's so beautiful I can hardly stand it! Spalted maple and walnut are so gorgeous together, and the form....wow. Thanks for posting the pics.

John Keeton
05-05-2010, 5:41 AM
Really a nice job on this one, JD!! I love the walnut and spalted maple together, and I think you made the right choice in not going with black. Excellent work on the finial, and I would say that Cindy had much better influence on you than did I!!

I am going to have to come up with a way to number and sign these things if I do many more, if for not other reason then to keep track of them.:)Oh, the folly of it all!! It is simply a matter of time until pens become the occasional piece for you, JD! I think you will find this type of turning very addictive.

James Combs
05-05-2010, 7:57 AM
Really a nice job on this one, JD!! I love the walnut and spalted maple together, and I think you made the right choice in not going with black. Excellent work on the finial, and I would say that Cindy had much better influence on you than did I!!

Oh, the folly of it all!! It is simply a matter of time until pens become the occasional piece for you, JD! I think you will find this type of turning very addictive.

Thanks John and thanks to the rest of you folks for your kind comments. They may not be obvious in the photos but there are minor fit and finish issues with this one. The base is slightly off center, there are white wax spots all over the finish, the inside is very rough,:( but I have to admit that from a distance it does look pretty good.:D

John I can't get too serious about larger turnings, my lathe is too small. This is about all it can handle. At about 4" circumference I get a tremendous amount of vibration (chatter). Maybe it is my technique but beyond 4" it is almost impossible keep the tool steady on the part due to chatter. The lathe only weights 136 lbs.

For now I will stay with the occasional piece.