PDA

View Full Version : Shaker End Table

James Owen
05-04-2010, 9:15 PM
Shaker end table, built to go with the trestle coffee table in the loft/TV room, and as a prototype for a class I'm teaching in June.

100% Neander project. It took about 30 hours to complete construction, and another 8 hours of actual finishing time.

Legs are figured ambrosia maple; aprons and top are figured hard maple. Aprons are joined to the legs with stopped, draw-bored mortise and tenon joints.

Finish is 6 coats of boiled linseed oil, 4 coats of shellac on the legs and aprons, and 4 coats of oil/varnish mixture on the table top.

Baxter Smith
05-04-2010, 9:39 PM
Nice looking table and Neander makes it even more impressive to the power tool types.:)

Harlan Barnhart
05-04-2010, 9:53 PM
Nice. Thanks for posting the time factor. I always feel my projects take a lot of time. I'm guessing you pinned the aprons from the back since I can't see the pins from the front.

gary Zimmel
05-04-2010, 10:59 PM
Great job on the James.
Always nice to see a 100% Neander project....

Andrew Gibson
05-05-2010, 12:54 AM
Looks great! I love the luster of the finish.

Jim Koepke
05-05-2010, 1:44 AM
Very nice, I love the grain details in the legs.

jim

Derek Cohen
05-05-2010, 5:57 AM
Hi James

That is very nice indeed!

Would you mind posting the dimensions, especially of the overhang? I am just finishing up a Shaker table - occasional table, I thought it would be called - so mine is longer. It is also a little different as I built it in Jarrah (has there ever been a Jarrah Shaker? :) ) and I turned the legs. It is intended as a Mother's Day gift, so I will show it on the weekend. So you can see why I am interested in the dimensions of yours, for comparison, although their targets are different.

Regards from Perth

Derek

James Owen
05-06-2010, 11:38 AM
Hi James

That is very nice indeed!

Would you mind posting the dimensions, especially of the overhang? I am just finishing up a Shaker table - occasional table, I thought it would be called - so mine is longer. It is also a little different as I built it in Jarrah (has there ever been a Jarrah Shaker? :) ) and I turned the legs. It is intended as a Mother's Day gift, so I will show it on the weekend. So you can see why I am interested in the dimensions of yours, for comparison, although their targets are different.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,

Thank you for your kind words! I'm looking forward to seeing your table!

_____

The dimensions are:

Top: 22" L x 22" W x 7/8" T

Aprons: 16" L x 2-3/4" W x 7/8" T
:: There is a 1-1/2" L x 1-3/4" W x 5/16" T tenon at each end of the aprons.

Legs: 25" L x 2" W x 2" T
:: Legs taper from 2" x 2" at the top to 1" x 1" at the bottom.
:: Taper starts 1/2" below the bottom of the aprons or 3-1/4" from the top of the legs

There is 1" of overlap at each side from the legs, and 1-1/2" overlap at each side from the aprons.

James Owen
05-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Baxter, Harlan, Gary, Andrew, & Jim,

Thank you for your kind words. It's always nice to get positive reinforcement! :D