PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Hollow Form, Bucolic

Mike Minto
05-04-2010, 8:52 PM
It is rather Bucolic, isn't it? Big (12" tall) and somewhat rough looking, although the dark pith areas are filled with coffee grounds mixed with epoxy and sanded smooth. It is from the same 'old growth' cherry that my earlier winged bowl was from. It's also kinda thick, maybe 5/8", but that fits the form. The opening is obviously natural edge; was a little strange to turn it, being of slightly differing diameter around the bark; darkened a bit with walnut danish oil; the rest is finished with natural, and three wheel buffed with Renaissance wax at the end. I like that word, 'bucolic' - let's all try and work it into our daily vocabulary more, shall we? :p

John Keeton
05-04-2010, 9:23 PM
Mike, that certainly made for a rustic piece! The wood is beautiful, as was the other. I kind of like the NE top with the wood. It wouldn't work on a plain piece of wood with no character, but it does here.

BTW, my friend, Bu, had colic. Does that count??:D

David E Keller
05-04-2010, 9:33 PM
Great looking wood. I like all the imperfections.

Someone please go to Mike's house and hide his thesaurus.:D

James Combs
05-04-2010, 9:34 PM
I really like cherry wood, one of my favorites. The form reminds me of those old water jugs from bygone days.

Very nice.

Mike Minto
05-04-2010, 9:36 PM
One thing that made this piece possible was the 4-prong drive I got from Bill Rubenstein at Stubby Lathes - it allowed me to initially turn a very uneven hunk of a log into something round(ish) and able to be screwed in to a faceplate with the orientation I wanted.

Baxter Smith
05-04-2010, 9:37 PM
Nice wood and I like the NE top and opening with it.

Ray Bell
05-04-2010, 9:43 PM
Very nice, I would attempt to use bucolic more in my every day conversation, but I don't know what it means, and I'm afraid my wife would slap me.:eek:

Jeff Willard
05-04-2010, 9:53 PM
Very nice, I would attempt to use bucolic more in my every day conversation, but I don't know what it means, and I'm afraid my wife would slap me.:eek:

Yeah. I thought I knew what it meant, but at the moment the meaning seems to be somewhat nebulous.

Jeff Willard
05-04-2010, 9:56 PM
Someone please go to Mike's house and hide his thesaurus.:D

I would, but I don't know what that is, either. Is there another name for it?

Bernie Weishapl
05-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Really nice HF. Really like the NE opening.

Steve Schlumpf
05-04-2010, 10:21 PM
Pretty wood Mike! Great job on capturing the rustic look!

Richard Madison
05-04-2010, 11:39 PM
When I was a little boy I had a collie, but he wasn't blue.

Mike Minto
05-05-2010, 9:26 AM
How do you spell nebulous, anyway?

Ray Bell
05-05-2010, 9:52 AM

I'm going fone-net-ic: neb-u-las

Tony De Masi
05-05-2010, 12:58 PM
Really nice piece Mike. Wood is beautiful and the NE opening works great.

I'm wearing a shirt with a blue collar and I don't like it. ICK. Does that count?:D

Tony

Jeff Willard
05-05-2010, 1:09 PM

Just like it sounds:eek:.