Kevin Gregoire
05-04-2010, 8:07 PM
i have a few questions about my DW735 planer

i don't have enough room in my shop so i don't think i will use a DC
so what i seen was the Dewalt hose and bag that fits over a trash can,
but instead of spending money on that, what about running a hose into
a cyclone lid on a trash can and just plug the second hole? is the chip fan
in the planer powerful enough to push chips through the hose and what
would be the max length of hose that can be used?

im also curious about the Dewalt in/out feed tables. when the tables are
down they are not completely flat, they are raised a little at the outer ends.
is that good or should they be perfectly flat? they don't have any kind of
adjustment so i assume they are correct?

thanks

Rob Wright
05-04-2010, 9:01 PM
Kevin -

I tried the cyclone lid on the pail with the planer. The problem is that the blower will push the lid right off the pail because the fan assisted chip ejection is so strong. I even tried clamping the lid down with some bungee cords. If there is any amount of gap between the lid and the pail - the chips will go right out. Also, since the "air" needs to be ejected and that is through the second port of the cyclone lid, there needs to be some sort of bag or filter element on that port. I finally just broke down and bought the bag off of amazon. It worked well until I got me DC.

I have my tables set as you have stated with a slight rise on the ends. I think I set them to be a about the thickness of a penny. If I remember right, it said that in the manual maybe.

Tullie Templet
05-04-2010, 9:11 PM
There is adjustments on the tables. If I am not mistaken there are screws on the sides of the tables that you loosen and adjust. Check it out.

keith micinski
05-04-2010, 9:23 PM
You want the tables to be angled up slightly to eliminate snipe. Also I built my own trash can cyclone and it works great. Here is a link.http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=131675

Tom Esh
05-04-2010, 10:06 PM
The hose & bag accessory actually works great for chip collection and easily fits over a full-sized trash container. My only complaint with it is the bag fabric could be finer as it does let a fair amount of airborne dust through.
As for the tables, I'd recommend starting with them flat or up only slightly and only adjust upward if you get snipe in the middle of boards. (A couple inches leading / trailing snipe on the board ends is not unusual and is pretty much unaffected by table tilting.)

Tom Lowry
05-04-2010, 10:06 PM
I ripped some clear pine into 1\8 x 3\4" strips and laminated a hoop the diameter of a 30ga HD trash bag. I covered it with window screen and mounted a piece of 3\4 stock in it with a hole to fit my shop vac hose. I hang this from a sawhorse and plum it up to the 735 and plane away. It doesn`t capture the light dust but gets all the chips, and this puppy makes some chips. When I`m done, I put the hoop on the shelf and the hose back on the shop vac. Not the most elegant solution but cheap and easy.

As for the wings, I don`t have them but I`m sure you can adjust that out.

Jeff Fischer
05-04-2010, 10:47 PM
I hooked mine up to the dust deputy on the shop vac, and it worked whether I remembered to turn on the vac or not. The fan pushes the chips just fine by itself.

Jeff

Kevin Gregoire
05-04-2010, 10:58 PM
i will have to look again tomorrow but i didnt notice any adjustment when i put the tables on. two plunge buttons and two solid ones that let the tables pivot and release but i dont think there was anything that adjusted the height of the tables? anyone have a picture if there is?

Tom Esh
05-04-2010, 11:34 PM
i will have to look again tomorrow but i didnt notice any adjustment when i put the tables on. two plunge buttons and two solid ones that let the tables pivot and release but i dont think there was anything that adjusted the height of the tables? anyone have a picture if there is?

Look under one of the tables. It's actually 3 pieces. Each of the side brackets are attached to the table with 2 screws through oversized openings that allow the adjustment.

Fred Belknap
05-05-2010, 8:52 AM
Before I got my DC set up I just connected the planner to a shop vac. It worked ok just had to remember to empty it pretty frequently. Be sure to turn the shopvac on before the planner.

Prashun Patel
05-05-2010, 9:03 AM
The infeed outfeed table SHOULD be sloped up to avoid snipe.

Planers and jointers make a large volume of large debris. They will clog pipes without enough diameter and airflow. If you're cyclone has enough of both, you should be ok.

Myk Rian
05-05-2010, 9:40 AM
Before bad information confuses you, here is how the tables should be adjusted, initially.

Crank the head up several inches.
Place a straight edge all the way across from infeed table to outfeed.
Try to slide a penny under the straightedge. Check it at several points.
Loosen the table hex screws to adjust.

A trash can separator needs to have an exit port. You can't just go plugging it up and expect it to work.

Rob Fisher
05-05-2010, 10:08 AM
...As for the tables, I'd recommend starting with them flat or up only slightly and only adjust upward if you get snipe in the middle of boards. (A couple inches leading / trailing snipe on the board ends is not unusual and is pretty much unaffected by table tilting.)

I'm not sure how one would get snipe in the middle of the board, maybe an extremely long board, that was incredibly heavy. It would require bowing the board enough to overcome the downward pressure of the infeed/outfeed rollers. Or some other problem like misalignment of the cutter head and infeed/outfeed rollers.

At any rate snipe on the trailing and leading edge of a board can most definitely be reduced and perhaps eliminated by adjusting the infeed and outfeed tables. All of this of course depends on the length of the board, how flexible it is, and how much other support it has (ie. someone holding it relatively flat on the infeed and outfeed). But suffice it to say that under normal circumstances infeed and outfeed snipe can be significantly reduced by proper adjustment of the supporting tables.

Rob

Kevin Gregoire
05-05-2010, 12:00 PM
has anyone else actually used the Dewalt hose & bag over a trash can method for
disposing of chips? list any pros & cons please.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41fbb92ff9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Rob Wright
05-05-2010, 12:24 PM
It sounded like two if us had actually used it. I was happy overall with the performance of it for what it is. I agree that some finer dust gets out through the fabric - but no chips from the wood.

David Romano
05-05-2010, 12:29 PM
I bought this and thought it did a really good job on the chips. I spews fine dust, but at least you won't need a broom and shovel to pick up the chips. This is true until the bag decides to suddenly pop off the trash can, blowing dust and chips all over the place. The fan is really strong so the bag inflates with alot of pressure. Eventually I got a DC anyway, but the fan assist is great as a booster, helping to get the chips evacuated from the planer. I really like the flex hose too, I wish I knew where to buy more of it. It's very flexible and compresses to a very short length.

David

Brian W Evans
05-05-2010, 1:46 PM
I'll second what others have said about the bag - it works pretty well but the air has to come out someplace, which is why the bag lets some dust out. I tried the shop vac route as well before I got a real DC and I prefer the bag to the vac.

Kevin Gregoire
05-05-2010, 3:40 PM
how long is the hose that comes with that bag? is the stock hose permanently attached
to the bag or can a longer hose be added? and should a longer hose be added or is the
stock hose just right for the force of the chip blower?

Kyle Iwamoto
05-05-2010, 3:44 PM
Check Amazon, they sell teh hose/bag, and they have the user comments. I find it very handy for making decisions.
I've tried using a shop vac, and the planer does blow the hose off of mine when the filter starts to get colgged up. You can also just get a 4" hose and use the planer for a mulch spreader.:)

Kevin Gregoire
05-05-2010, 7:03 PM
thanks for all the help everyone, i appreciate it!
i checked my tables today and seen how each one were two piece and how
they were adjustable. i think they are set pretty good from the factory as they angle
up just a hair at the outer ends.

and i also pulled the trigger and ordered the chip bag today from tools-plus for $40
http://www.tools-plus.com/dewalt-dw7353.html
so i look forward to trying that out but will need to buy a new garbage can first.

Kevin Gregoire
05-15-2010, 5:37 PM
i got the dewalt hose/bonnet chip collector the other day along with a new
heavy duty garbage can, but i had to get one of my ratchet straps to wrap around
the rim of the can over the top of the bonnet and ratchet it tight otherwise chips
would blow out from under the bonnet.
i did have to tape up the hose a bit to shorten it cause i have the can right next to
my planer but overall im happy and it works good and it was a cheap fix.

Craig Shilling
05-15-2010, 7:46 PM
Kevin, I also had a small shop, its on one side of our basement which made dust collection from my 735 difficult because of space. I then purchased a Delta AP300 Portable DC and hooked the hose from it directly to the 735. Worked terrfic for 3 or 4 years untill I asked for and got permission to use the entire basement for a shop. I now have it hooked to a Oneida V3000 which solved many dust problems. In fact, if you were interested in the Delta I would gladly let you try it to see if it would solve your space problem. I plan on selling it in the near future anyway.

Jeff Bratt
05-15-2010, 8:47 PM
The fan in the 735 is plenty powerful - it extracts the chips from the machine quite well. My advice after trying a "cyclone lid" is don't bother, it's waste of time and money. I built a Phil Thein baffle (http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm) to fit into my trash can chip container (http://home.roadrunner.com/%7Ejeffnann/WoodWorking/Shop/Shop.html#Planer_Stand_) (at the end of the little DeWalt 735 photo essay), and that works quite well. It also collects the big chips and passes the finer dust right on through. The shorter the hose, the better the chip extraction will work...

David Prince
05-16-2010, 8:58 AM
If you have never used a DC with a planer, give it some thought. My DC collects 99.8 % (give or take) of the debris from my planer. And that is a lot of chips once you fire up a planer. I cannot imagine using it without a DC or trying to blow it into a can.

Kevin Gregoire
05-16-2010, 10:39 AM
i have a brand new Jet DC1100 but i really dont have a place for it. i should run some
tubing throughout the shop and during the summer i could set the DC outside my door
and plug a short piece of tubing into the duct work and see how that goes.

i would like to save up for a small metal shed to store my wood in just outside my shop
and then cut a hole in both to run a tube through to connect the DC in the shed with
tubing in the shop?