PDA

View Full Version : Which way for the grain.....???

Bill Huber
05-04-2010, 5:50 PM
This is a little step stool I finished up this weekend for the grand daughter. A friend of my and I were looking at it today and his comment was "shouldn't the grain in the sides be going the other way".

So did I make it wrong or is the grain running up and down going to make it weak?

To me if I had run the grain the other way it could break off a leg if side pressure was applied to it or dropped on say the front leg.

149915 149916

Karl Brogger
05-04-2010, 5:55 PM
That's how I would've run it.

Lee Schierer
05-04-2010, 5:57 PM
Your design looks just fine, I wouldn't be concerned. If I were making it I would probably have run the grain the same direction. The sections are wide enough that they should hold all the weight you are going to put on it as a step stool.

John Coloccia
05-04-2010, 5:59 PM
Ditto. I don't even think it would look nice the other way, never mind that I think it'd be weaker.

Joe Chritz
05-04-2010, 6:08 PM
Which way did the tree grow?

Looks fine.

I doubt there would be any problem with running it the other way but I would have done it the same as you.

Edit: Besides this way any expansion of the sides matches the steps and you can glue them in without worrying about a self-destruct.

Joe

Kent A Bathurst
05-04-2010, 6:11 PM
Ditto. I don't even think it would look nice the other way, never mind that I think it'd be weaker.

Bingo, John.........

I've got friends like that :D. Spend a few weeks making a __________, and the first in guy immediatley says "seems like you should have done it this way........" Never mind that his best effort at WW results in a framing hammer hitting a thumb.

glenn bradley
05-04-2010, 6:16 PM
I would have run it like you did.

Bill Huber
05-04-2010, 6:16 PM
Thanks guys, that makes me feel better, I though I was ok but just was not sure.

I guess its one of those thing "Don't think about it so much"

John Coloccia
05-04-2010, 6:19 PM
Bill, this is what happens when your world turns into particle board with cheap veneer. I guess it doesn't really matter which way you iron the veneer on, now does it? :D

Van Huskey
05-04-2010, 6:30 PM
You made absolutely the correct choice.

Lex Boegen
05-04-2010, 6:46 PM
I think that you did it the best way. If the grain on the sides ran the other way, then you'd have cross-grain joints where the steps meet the sides. Also, there would be short-grain on the feet making them more prone to breaking off if it was slid across the floor. The vertical grain also supports the weight load better.

Vince Shriver
05-04-2010, 7:01 PM
Bill, you did it perfect. And a very nice little step stool it is!

Ron Jones near Indy
05-04-2010, 7:06 PM
You have it correctly done. This is the only way to do it and have it look as it should.

Peter Quinn
05-04-2010, 7:38 PM
One more "You're on the money" here Bill. Would you really want the exposed end grain facing forward? Would you want short grain feet? I would think the end grain touching the floor would ultimately make a stronger stool. And its beautiful too by the way. Think of almost any decent cabinet you have ever seen made with dovetail carcass, or any plywood case for that matter too. The grain runs the same way as yours, and for good reasons. The wood all moves in the same direction, so the joints don't tend to break them selves apart over time. Orient the sides the other way and the steps would forever be fighting the sides.

Glen Butler
05-04-2010, 7:38 PM
I would have run it the way you did, but more than just "what looks better" there is a reason. The 'finger grabs' or 'legs' down at the bottom it makes more sense the direction you ran it. Horizontal grain would be more likely to snap. Posts run up and down, beams run horizontal. Your sides are posts, the treads are beams. . . structurally speaking.

Tony Bilello
05-04-2010, 7:42 PM
This is a little step stool I finished up this weekend for the grand daughter. A friend of my and I were looking at it today and his comment was "shouldn't the grain in the sides be going the other way".

So did I make it wrong or is the grain running up and down going to make it weak?

To me if I had run the grain the other way it could break off a leg if side pressure was applied to it or dropped on say the front leg.

149915 149916

You are 100% correct.

Brian Hinther
05-04-2010, 9:32 PM
Really great work, Bill! All the roundovers are a nice touch, and, like everyone has said, you ran the grain correctly! What did you use to finish it, by the way?

Von Bickley
05-04-2010, 9:36 PM
In my opinion, you are 100% correct........

Great looking stool.

Bill Huber
05-04-2010, 9:39 PM
Really great work, Bill! All the roundovers are a nice touch, and, like everyone has said, you ran the grain correctly! What did you use to finish it, by the way?

Thanks....

I just used the General Finish, Arm-R-Seal Oil and Urethane, I really like it and use it a lot, it's very forgiving.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10928&filter=general%20finish

Brian Kincaid
05-05-2010, 9:55 AM
If the grain were horizontal on the sides I think it would look very weird. :confused:

That is a really nice stool, and I'm going to try the finish you mentioned.

-Brian

Joe Jensen
05-05-2010, 11:11 AM
I nearly always run side panel grain vertical. When I see something else my first reaction is that the builder must have run short on wood :)

IMHO your friend is wrong.

Tom Walz
05-05-2010, 11:20 AM
I like it. Really nice job.

You like it.

If your granddaughter llikes it then I'd say you are good to go.

Building something is hard and demanding with a lot of responsibility. Criticizing something is easy, fun for a lot of folks, and carries no responsibility.

Rob Woodman
05-05-2010, 11:36 AM
Now that we are all in agreement that your stepstool is perfect in every way, print this thread off and give it to your friend so that he may learn from his mistakes.:D I think he owes you a few beers or a nice bottle of wine to go with dinner for winding you up.
'Tis a very fine job.
Regards Rob.

Jim Rimmer
05-05-2010, 12:39 PM
I don't think the idea of running it the other way would have even crossed my mind. And a very nice stool, indeed.

Howard Acheson
05-05-2010, 2:23 PM
You may end up with problem with the riser and the back support. These joints are cross-grain and need to be able to allow the boards to expand and contract in width with changes in seasonal relative humidity. Those two boards may split or the joint fail. You might get away with it if the seasonal relative humidity is constant and stable year round.

If you had run the side pieces in the opposite direction, you would have had a cross-grain joint for the lower step and the top step.

When building things from solid wood you always have to be aware of, and allow for, seasonal wood movement.

kevin loftus
05-05-2010, 8:11 PM
I don't think the idea of running it the other way would have even crossed my mind. And a very nice stool, indeed.

+1 I completely agree with Jim. :)

scott vroom
05-05-2010, 9:42 PM
Bill, looks great! What type of joinery?

Bill Huber
05-05-2010, 10:09 PM
Bill, looks great! What type of joinery?

There are 42, 3/8 dowels all done with the new Jessem dowel jig. A write up on it is coming in the very near future.. all I can say now is WOW.

Nathan Callender
05-05-2010, 10:11 PM
Awesome work. Yes, vertical grain is the only way...

scott vroom
05-05-2010, 10:27 PM
Bill, can't wait to hear about the dowel joinery! (Hopefully that was a good "Wow!")!

Bill Huber
05-05-2010, 10:30 PM
You may end up with problem with the riser and the back support. These joints are cross-grain and need to be able to allow the boards to expand and contract in width with changes in seasonal relative humidity. Those two boards may split or the joint fail. You might get away with it if the seasonal relative humidity is constant and stable year round.

If you had run the side pieces in the opposite direction, you would have had a cross-grain joint for the lower step and the top step.

When building things from solid wood you always have to be aware of, and allow for, seasonal wood movement.

What should I have done with the riser and the back brace. I don't see how I could have done it different.
Should I have not attached the riser to the steps?

Joe Chritz
05-06-2010, 8:42 AM
As for the riser it could have been left in a dado, oversized in length and just glued in the middle. If it was a mortise and tenon design you wouldn't see any gap at the top. Same for a floating dovetail.

I am sure someone else will have some ideas but I think I would have likely used a M & T with glue in the middle 1/3 or so.

Wood is wood. You may not have any problems or you may. If it is in a stable environment and at the final MC it will likely not do anything weird.

Joe

Dennis Lopeman
05-06-2010, 2:44 PM
if you ran the grain diagonal you wouldn't have had to ask!

:)