PDA

View Full Version : Does Festool Saw Replace Table Saw...

Derek Arita
05-04-2010, 4:34 PM
I've recently moved into a house that doesn't leave me much room for machines, so I've considered selling most of my stuff. Question is, can my Festool saw and table really do what my table saw does, without giving up any accuracy or capacity?

Zack Teal
05-04-2010, 5:14 PM
i think that it would be a good replacement for a table saw personally. i dont see any thing that would make this saw less able then a sable saw. this mite just be me but i think it would be a fine replacement for a table saw.

Paul Hingco
05-04-2010, 5:31 PM
I just got a Festool circ saw and I *think* it could possibly replace most of the functions but I think it would me much more inconvenient. Ripping small thin pieces and multiple, repetitive cuts (especially rips) for example. Personally I like doing long dados on the TS as well.

Chris Tsutsui
05-04-2010, 5:39 PM
I have a TS55 and from my experience, it's not as convenient as a TS in some ways.

You give up working with with narrow boards and board stock. For instance, I would not attempt to rip a narrow board in half with the TS55, but would do it on a jobsite TS.

With a track saw you will also spend more time marking, aligning the guide rail compared to a rip fence. With a table saw you just set your fence, make all your cuts of that size, and with good technique they will all be the exact same size. The festool will take quite a bit of skill in terms of marking, aligning, and cutting to get the same repetitive accuracy you get from making all your cuts with a TS fence that stays in the same position.

On a good note, the Festool is great for ripping sheet goods and you can be quite accurate if you take your time in setting up the guides perfect for each cut. I just don't see it as a 100% TS replacement, but it can perhaps be a 90% TS replacement.

The festool can diagnal cut large sheets, make plunge cuts, and has good safety features & dust collection so there are some Pro's to the TS 55 that may not be found in all tablesaws.

Van Huskey
05-04-2010, 5:41 PM
Can you get by, sure. But, it is a workaround not a replacement for many of a table saws functions. There are a small number of cuts the track saw does better/safer than a TS but the TS has many more advantages. Out of the machines in my shop the TS would be the last I would give up IF I could help it.

scott spencer
05-04-2010, 5:43 PM
I'd sure miss the reference surface that my TS provides! ;)

Eric DeSilva
05-04-2010, 6:11 PM
I'd sure miss the reference surface that my TS provides! ;)

And I'd miss my assembly table for glue-ups.

John Coloccia
05-04-2010, 6:30 PM
Nope. No more than a router table replaces a shaper. On the other hand, I don't do anything where a shaper would be a significant advantage. Maybe you don't do anything where a table saw would be a significant advantage. If you're only doing sheet goods, and some other stuff the Festool handles well, especially if you want to be portable, you could make a great case that the Festool has a distinct advantage.

Lex Boegen
05-04-2010, 6:41 PM
I don't have a track saw, although I'm considering getting one. I see where it would be good for 90-degree cuts, but what about angle cuts? I can easily set a table saw miter gauge for odd angles, such as 22 1/2 degrees, but how would a track saw do with a cut like this? Dado work could be done with either a hand-held or table-mounted router, as could box joints, etc. A table saw is so versatile that I hardly see any single tool replacing it. BTW: I don't have a shop (not even a garage), so I have a Bosch portable table saw with the "gravity rise" stand that I wheel outside when I need to use it. My front yard is my shop.

Jeff Monson
05-04-2010, 7:03 PM
Not for me, if I had to give up one it would be the track saw, my tablesaw is way to important.

Mike Archambeau
05-04-2010, 7:11 PM
A track saw for cutting sheet goods down to size is a good idea. Supplemented by a nice band saw that can resaw, cross cut and rip smaller pieces makes even more inroads into what we traditionally thought of for our table saw duties. Band saws take a lot less floor space than table saws. If you have a router, you can use it for dados. So yes I think the table saw will be missed less than it might otherwise be.

Brendan Plavis
05-04-2010, 8:40 PM
You could replace it with a small table saw... The one in our basement, which is a 7.5inch, takes up less room than my bandsaw... Although, with that said, its not at all good for sheet goods, or cross cuts...

Bruce Matasick
05-04-2010, 10:01 PM
If you already have the Festool you may be able to find ways to adapt and do without the TS. But if looking for the most in versatility, check out the guide rail system and accessories from Eurekazone. You can use any good circular saw with more flexibility and equal results to any other track saw - plus safer and sometimes easier than a TS.

David epstein
05-04-2010, 10:12 PM
I don't have a track saw, although I'm considering getting one. I see where it would be good for 90-degree cuts, but what about angle cuts? I can easily set a table saw miter gauge for odd angles, such as 22 1/2 degrees, but how would a track saw do with a cut like this? Dado work could be done with either a hand-held or table-mounted router, as could box joints, etc. A table saw is so versatile that I hardly see any single tool replacing it. BTW: I don't have a shop (not even a garage), so I have a Bosch portable table saw with the "gravity rise" stand that I wheel outside when I need to use it. My front yard is my shop.

Lex. I was in the same position but researsh paid off.
I first saw this system in ebay but I was very sceptical.

First, allow me to say that not all track saws are designed
and offer the same functions.

A table saw is so versatile that I hardly see any single tool replacing it.

That was true.
According to another track saw user, that was done with a track circular saw of another design. Made is USA by eurekazone.
Can this be done with a tablesaw?

Bruce Page
05-04-2010, 10:34 PM
This discussion has sparked many heated arguments in the past.

Please keep it friendly folks.

Thanks,
Your friendly moderator. :)

Randal Stevenson
05-05-2010, 12:10 AM
Can you move your stuff to a section of the garage/basement, etc. and work without them for a bit? Think not about the tool, but first about how you work, then think about the tool. (what do you need to do, and how could you do it with)

There are other tracksaws, that have been used on this forum and elsewhere to create projects (I really need a digital camera again, (LONG story)), as my tablesaw has been in my (unattached, model T sized) garage, waiting for my mom throw her big garage sale. (multifamily sale, brings more people) Some "tracksaws" as they are getting to be known, are really just sawboards. If that is what one uses them for, then I don't get the point of buying one (build your own). Some of them have gone out of business (it was either the Trugrip, or Progrip that was being pushed when I first bought mine). Others have grown in ways not initially thought of.

A thought I use, is look at how Neanders do something, then look at the power tools connected with your system, or the one(s) that you might look at. It is a different frame of mind. I think my grandfathers (neander) generation, would have more quickly adapted, then those of us who grew up watching Norm (which can bring up a whole argument of Bandsaw verses Tablesaw argument, let alone brand x verses brand y of guided saw systems).

Just my peaceable $.02:)

Dan Clark
05-05-2010, 12:57 AM
Derek,

One thing to keep in mind when buying Festool is that you're buying in to entire system of components that are designed to work together. How much and when you buy is up to you, but the components and all the piece parts are available.

I looked at Eurekazone before buying Festool. I chose Festool because they offered a complete system of high-quality products, serviced and supported by one company. I started with a Festool MFT, CT22 vac, and TS55. Then the C12 drill, OF1400 router, planer, jigsaw, and RO150, LS130, and RTS400 sanders. And I added a handle and boom arm to my vac that saves me major hose headaches. I've also added a bunch of smaller piece parts and consumables over the last three years. ALL of them work as a system.

Later this year and early next year, they are coming out with new drills, jigsaws, and a rather spectacular detail sander. This is the Festool International video channel on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/FestoolInternational#p/u/0/8gt17APLXIU. The RO90 detail sander is on my to-buy list. The Carvex comes in both battery and corded models with a nice array of accessories.

Now take a look at the System video starting at the 16 second mark. Notice that the rail has holes in it? That's normally part of the LR32 system which is used with a Festool router for making accurate cabinet shelf holes. And he's using it with his Festool track saw. Which he took out of the saw's Systainer. And cut on his Festool MFT. Hooked to his Festool vac. Then he connected the vac to his Festool router and cut the shelf holes with same rails. For sanding he used a Festool sander hooked to a vac. (Until you've experienced dustless sanding, you haven't lived.)

One other point to remember... The entire Festool system is designed to be portable. It's for people with a house that "...doesn't leave much room for machines." I have the same problem. Many of us do. It's wonderful if you have a nice big shop with nice big machines. But what happens if you don't? Can the "system" be set up quickly, used efficiently, and stored away when not in use? Are storage and portability designed in to the system?

So everything is perfect with Festool. Yes? Nope. The downside of Festool is that it's spendy. No getting around it. Then again, you get what you pay for.

The fundamental challenge for you is to decide if you just want a track saw with rails, or an entry into a system that you can expand and extend in the future. And if you want to spend the money. Only you can decide that. Good luck with your decision.

Regards,

Dan.

p.s. In that video it shows the fellow snapping shelf holes one right after another. That's not video magic. I watched a demo where the instructor used the LR32 system at the same speed.

Don Morris
05-05-2010, 1:32 AM
To me the Festool and Eurekazone type Tracksaws looks like really nifty (very adjustable) Panel saws turned horizontal. Would not think it would replace my TS, but very handy.

Bob Strawn
05-05-2010, 1:40 AM
I've recently moved into a house that doesn't leave me much room for machines, so I've considered selling most of my stuff. Question is, can my Festool saw and table really do what my table saw does, without giving up any accuracy or capacity?

I am mostly a hand tool user, but do use the odd power tool when appropriate. My tablesaw, a Royobi Bt3100 is rapidly nearing the end of it's life. Too many parts are close to failure to make it worth struggling to maintain. So I too have been looking closely at the different systems.

The Saw Stop seems to solve a lot, but then I cut aluminum and brass every now and then, so it might have issues. Additionally as a technician, I have learned to distrust any backup or emergency system that I cannot test regularly. So I would rather have a table saw with SawStop than not, but I don't trust that anything will stay working forever.

The Festool User Group is an amazing bunch of folk, that do really great craftsmanship and are quite innovative. I like a lot of the things that Festool has done. If I were professional and going into someones carpeted house to install cabinets, this would probably be my first choice. It is a rather expensive choice and I am not thrilled by the lock in of products. But I don't think a Festool user is going to find a lot of flaws with the system however.

The EZ Smart system is the one that is really getting my interest. The obvious safety factor and the range of use is what really captured my interest. The whole system is like precision tool lego. There are some typical configurations, but the potential range of configurations is wild. You can take the stuff apart, and it is still useful. It is hands down the most open ended system that I have seen to date.

The range of possibilities inspires the tinker in me. While I can come up with a few things that I could do on a table saw that I would have serious difficulty doing with the EZ smart power table, there are a few things I would consider foolhardy to even try to do on a table saw, that a typical EZ Smart Power Table could do with ease.

Since the wood being cut remains still as it is cut, The jigging done with the EZ Smart is more to set up the cut and perhaps hold the odd angle of the wood for the cut. And the Guide rail itself acts as a huge clamp, so thing like taper cuts or putting a straight edge on a warped board is going to go from being a total pain and potentially actual pain as chunk of thin wood is thrown back at me, to a fast, safe, easy and reliable cut.

If I can afford an EZ Smart setup anytime soon, I am going to get it, just for the safety issues. I can set up a rail saw arrangement with it, that will be able to do everything I have ever done with a table saw, and have zero chance of having a finger cut off. I may even be able to finally get rid of all the insane table saw jigs that I have come up with over the years.

Bob

Scott T Smith
05-05-2010, 5:17 AM
Derek,

One thing to keep in mind when buying Festool is that you're buying in to entire system of components that are designed to work together. How much and when you buy is up to you, but the components and all the piece parts are available.

I looked at Eurekazone before buying Festool. I chose Festool because they offered a complete system of high-quality products, serviced and supported by one company. I started with a Festool MFT, CT22 vac, and TS55. Then the C12 drill, OF1400 router, planer, jigsaw, and RO150, LS130, and RTS400 sanders. And I added a handle and boom arm to my vac that saves me major hose headaches. I've also added a bunch of smaller piece parts and consumables over the last three years. ALL of them work as a system.

Later this year and early next year, they are coming out with new drills, jigsaws, and a rather spectacular detail sander. This is the Festool International video channel on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/FestoolInternational#p/u/0/8gt17APLXIU. The RO90 detail sander is on my to-buy list. The Carvex comes in both battery and corded models with a nice array of accessories.

Now take a look at the System video starting at the 16 second mark. Notice that the rail has holes in it? That's normally part of the LR32 system which is used with a Festool router for making accurate cabinet shelf holes. And he's using it with his Festool track saw. Which he took out of the saw's Systainer. And cut on his Festool MFT. Hooked to his Festool vac. Then he connected the vac to his Festool router and cut the shelf holes with same rails. For sanding he used a Festool sander hooked to a vac. (Until you've experienced dustless sanding, you haven't lived.)

One other point to remember... The entire Festool system is designed to be portable. It's for people with a house that "...doesn't leave much room for machines." I have the same problem. Many of us do. It's wonderful if you have a nice big shop with nice big machines. But what happens if you don't? Can the "system" be set up quickly, used efficiently, and stored away when not in use? Are storage and portability designed in to the system?

So everything is perfect with Festool. Yes? Nope. The downside of Festool is that it's spendy. No getting around it. Then again, you get what you pay for.

The fundamental challenge for you is to decide if you just want a track saw with rails, or an entry into a system that you can expand and extend in the future. And if you want to spend the money. Only you can decide that. Good luck with your decision.

Regards,

Dan.

p.s. In that video it shows the fellow snapping shelf holes one right after another. That's not video magic. I watched a demo where the instructor used the LR32 system at the same speed.

+1.

I have both, and I'd sum it up as follows. If you have room for a tablesaw, then keep the tablesaw. If you don't have room, IMO the Festool *system* is your best alternative choice, as Dan so well explained above. You should be able to duplicate just about anything that you could do on a TS (except for making coves) with the track saw, albeit with a little more set-up time, and the dust collection and sanding systems are excellent - important if you're working inside your living room, etc.

John Stan
05-05-2010, 6:59 AM

I have a table saw with crosscut sled and a TS 55 with a few rails. I almost never use the TS 55. I find the table saw to be more accurate and much more convenient. I do use the TS 55 and rail to put an initial straight edge on boards and break down large sheets of plywood. Other than that, the table saw gets all the use.

-John

Vijay Kumar
05-05-2010, 10:27 AM

Depends on how much premium you place on your space. A table saw is very convenient for rips. However I have used the Festool FS-PA parallel guides, and they are quite good. Since I already have a table saw I probably wont give up mine. However no less a woodworker than the John Lucas of woodshopdemos fame had given up the table saw for the Festool setup. You may want to look that up.

Vijay

Dave Sepucha
05-05-2010, 10:30 AM
In my opinion, a track saw definitely does not replace a tablesaw. However I think you can get very good results with a track saw and a small contractor saw.

I think track saws excel at:
- Breaking down sheet goods
- Cuts in large boards
- Cutting odd angles on large boards
- Accurate bevel cuts

For me, the addition of a Festool MFT and a fence with stop, I've been able to address repeatability issues for certain things. The rail and fence are using dogs attached to t-slots in their base. This setup is excellent for repeatable cross cuts and miter cuts. Note however that this setup has a limited crosscut capacity, around 22 inches I think. Also note that I generally don't use the MFT stock fence and protractor as the bulk of my cuts are 90 or 45 degree cuts, and I like just using the table's dog holes better. (I'm still tweaking my fence setup below... I'd like a low extension that goes under the rail)

http://i42.tinypic.com/abkr55.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/mtmh4w.jpg

Things that a track saw just can't approach a table saw for (at least not my setup):
- Repeatable rip cuts
- Rip cuts on narrow stock
- Cuts on small pieces (what if the piece you are cutting is narrower than the rail?)
- Dadoes, grooves, and rabbets (I love my Dado set)

I currently use my track saw plus a contractor saw and I'm pleased with the arrangement. I think it is possible to do without the tablesaw, but I would never want to do it. I think working this way would amount to developing a series of tedious workarounds rather than using the tools effectively. I think a track saw and tablesaw are complimentary tools. Now if I could afford a euro slider... that's a different story altogether.

Dan Clark
05-05-2010, 10:57 AM
I am mostly a hand tool user, but do use the odd power tool when appropriate. My tablesaw, a Royobi Bt3100 is rapidly nearing the end of it's life. Too many parts are close to failure to make it worth struggling to maintain. So I too have been looking closely at the different systems.

The Saw Stop seems to solve a lot, but then I cut aluminum and brass every now and then, so it might have issues. Additionally as a technician, I have learned to distrust any backup or emergency system that I cannot test regularly. So I would rather have a table saw with SawStop than not, but I don't trust that anything will stay working forever.

The Festool User Group is an amazing bunch of folk, that do really great craftsmanship and are quite innovative. I like a lot of the things that Festool has done. If I were professional and going into someones carpeted house to install cabinets, this would probably be my first choice. It is a rather expensive choice and I am not thrilled by the lock in of products. But I don't think a Festool user is going to find a lot of flaws with the system however.

The EZ Smart system is the one that is really getting my interest. The obvious safety factor and the range of use is what really captured my interest. The whole system is like precision tool lego. There are some typical configurations, but the potential range of configurations is wild. You can take the stuff apart, and it is still useful. It is hands down the most open ended system that I have seen to date.

The range of possibilities inspires the tinker in me. While I can come up with a few things that I could do on a table saw that I would have serious difficulty doing with the EZ smart power table, there are a few things I would consider foolhardy to even try to do on a table saw, that a typical EZ Smart Power Table could do with ease.

Since the wood being cut remains still as it is cut, The jigging done with the EZ Smart is more to set up the cut and perhaps hold the odd angle of the wood for the cut. And the Guide rail itself acts as a huge clamp, so thing like taper cuts or putting a straight edge on a warped board is going to go from being a total pain and potentially actual pain as chunk of thin wood is thrown back at me, to a fast, safe, easy and reliable cut.

If I can afford an EZ Smart setup anytime soon, I am going to get it, just for the safety issues. I can set up a rail saw arrangement with it, that will be able to do everything I have ever done with a table saw, and have zero chance of having a finger cut off. I may even be able to finally get rid of all the insane table saw jigs that I have come up with over the years.

Bob
Bob,

There is a fundamental difference between the Festool system and the EZ Smart system. Festool provides a wide range of tools, accessories and components which fit together as a system. The EZ Smart system is not a "tool" system - EZ does not make tools. The EZ system is a set of components - primarily guide rails - and interface accessories. For example, the Smart Base (http://eurekazone.com/products/detail/smartbase.html) interfaces a third party circular saw with one of their guide rails. The Dust Port (second item here: http://eurekazone.com/products/detail/ezsaw.html) interfaces a third party circular saw to a vac.

With Festool, as you accurately pointed out, the downside is you're mostly locked into their system. I say "mostly" because companies like Tenryu and Forrest make blades for Festool saws, and other companies like MicroFence make accessories for Festool routers and guide rails. That said, you typically use Festool components. However, the benefit of the Festool system is that their tools and accessories work together smoothly and seamlessly.

With the EZ guide rails and interface components, the benefit is that you can roll your own like using Legos. To creative people, this has a lot of a LOT of appeal. You can buy best of breed tools or use your own tools. However, there are some downsides to this approach...

First, the EZ system is not a precision "tool" system. While the EZ system may be a precision set of accessories and components, whether they can be rolled into a precision set of tools depends on 1) the third-party tools that you buy and 2) how well the EZ components interface to those tools.

Second, with EZ system you are locked in to EZ or you are forced to interface their components with your tools. You can buy the saws and routers that EZ has already pre-integrated, which locks you in to EZ pre-integrated tools - just like Festool. Or...

You can try to integrate the EZ components with your tools. That may work fine and it looks like EZ provides good support for that. But YOU do the integration. YOU solve the interface issues. For example, will the EZ Smart Base work with your Bosch circular saw? Will the Dust Port work with your Milwaukee saw and interface properly with your vac?

Third, with the EZ system, you are dependent on two companies - EZ and the original tool manufacturer. If the tool manufacturer decides to discontinue making parts for the tool or changes the design of the base plate, and you need repairs, what then? Remember that, unlike Festool, Makita (for example) does NOT care that their saw design will work with the EZ components in future. Or that spare parts will be available in the future. You think this will never happen? Think again...

Awhile back, I did a review of the Makita 9903 belt sander (excellent tool!) for Brice Burrell's web site: http://burrellcustomcarpentry.com/subpage36.html. In the review, I showed how to interface the 9903 with the Festool vac and use it on the Festool MFT. I did all the integration work to interface the 9903 to my Festool CT22 vac and MFT. It was a hassle to figure this out, but it worked well. That's the good news. The bad news...

In the review I mentioned that Makita made a sanding frame for the Makita 9903 and included a link (bottom of first page) to the Makita web page showing the frame. Click that link now and guess what you see? NOTHING! Makita stopped making that sanding frame!!!

And that's the rub with integrating your own system using EZ - you have to do the integration design, and you take the risk of making it work now and keeping it working in the future.

Festool isn't perfect, but they know that pros depend on having them work now and in the future. What many people overlook with Festool is its commitment to the overall system, including the integration and availability of parts and service. That is a big part of the cost of Festool.

There is no clear "right" approach for everyone. Everyone has their own set of goals, risk tolerance, and available "tinkering" time. Is your goal to design your own system, or to use a system to get work done? Is your tolerance for risk high or low? Got lots of time to "tinker" or limited time? If your want to design your own, your risk tolerance is high, and/or you have time to integrate components, then EZ is probably the best choice. If your goal is using a system to produce work, your tolerance for risk is lower, and/or you have little time to create a working system, then Festool is probably the better system.

Sales people spend lots of time promoting the upsides of their products but rarely admit the downsides. The ONLY important thing is to understand your needs and constraints, and then buy the approach that fits best knowing the upsides AND the downsides of each approach.

Regards,

Dan.

Rob Woodman
05-05-2010, 11:26 AM
AH! But the TS55 can be put into a table that makes it a table saw for all those small fiddly jobs we love the TS to do.:D

Sadly it is still waiting to be released into North America, theres plenty on FOG about it.
http://www.festool.co.uk/SiteCollectionImages/Catalog/Kat_2005/basis/portal_top/ptop_hb_cms_561274_p_01a.png
Small footprint, folds away for storage and can also accept top plates for the TS75 and a router table unit.
This is what Dan means about 'a system'. For anyone short on space or needing portability it is a one stop company, well almost:D.

Dan Clark
05-05-2010, 11:53 AM
To be precise, Festool offers multiple TS alternatives. Besides the CMS in Bob's post, they also have the Precisio, shown here in the UK site: http://www.festool.co.uk/Products/Pages/Product-Competence.aspx?foc=ol_precisio_1769. Unfortunately, they haven't yet made it across to this side of the pond.

Dan.

Brian Kincaid
05-05-2010, 1:37 PM
$1600 and $2000 respectively (dollar=euro) which it does not. Come on people you have your choice of table saws for that much $$$.

-Brian

Jason White
05-05-2010, 3:27 PM
I have both a Festool saw and a cabinet saw.

I personally could not live without both.

Jason

Dan Clark
05-05-2010, 3:32 PM
$1600 and $2000 respectively (dollar=euro) which it does not. Come on people you have your choice of table saws for that much $$$.

-Brian
Brian,

True, but there are not too many tables saws that you can drag up a flight of stairs, work inside someone's occupied home, and then store in a small space when you done. That kind of flexibility doesn't come cheap.

Be that as it may...

Remember that the OP is looking at the feasibility of getting rid of his (presumably) full size table saw for lack of space. For many people (including me), a track saw alone will work fine. For most of the remaining people, a track saw plus a small contractors table saw will do most of what large table saw will do and do it in a fraction of the space.

It sounds like you have the luxury of plenty of shop space. I say luxury because that's what it is. I don't have the luxury. The OP doesn't either. The benefits of big iron are only there when you have the space.

Regards,

Dan.

Eric DeSilva
05-05-2010, 5:01 PM
This thread has started me thinking about why I have both a TS and a tracksaw (the TS55), whether I need both, and how I use both. I think, BTW, that both my Unisaw and my Festool are precision instruments capable of delivering accurate, straight, repeatable cuts. With the possible exception of cove cuts, which I haven't really done, one should, in an ideal world, substitute for the other, but in my shop they don't.

However, as I think about why I go to the Unisaw or Festool at any given moment, it is partly ease of use (how fast can I set up the cut), partly comfort (safety), partly past experience (how have I done it before). For any given cut, however, I'm sure I could find a safe solution on either the TS or using the tracksaw. But, there is a prejudice there--I've spent a lot more time using the TS, and there is a much broader range of experiential solutions available to me for the TS. That is a complicated way of saying "I don't speak (or think) tracksaw."

It seems to me that if you were a dedicated tracksaw user, you would build the jigs and find solutions for problems that would work just fine. I think--at least for me--it would take some mental retraining to get there, and there's a period where I'd be annoyed about taking 15 min. to set up a cut I could do in 30s on my TS. But maybe the next time, it would only take me 1 min. and the next time, 30s.

So, maybe take some time and start thinking--every time you use your TS--about how you would do the identical cut with a tracksaw. Obviously, if all you do is cove cuts, you are in for a rude awakening, and maybe the Festool isn't the right choice. And yes, if you are a commercial shop doing thousands of repetitive cabinet boxes every year, it might not be a viable solution either, given equipment lifespan.

I'm lucky to have a very large basement and a spouse willing to turn it over to me for a shop. Before that, however, I lived in a number of places where a shop wasn't feasible space-wise, and I simply didn't do any woodworking. I am quite sad, in some ways, that I didn't learn about Festool before--I think there is an awful lot I could have done during those years with some Festool gear.

Greg Portland
05-05-2010, 5:38 PM
without giving up any accuracy or capacityYes a TS75 + track (properly used) will retain the accuracy and capacity of a table saw. However, it will NOT retain the speed of a table saw (multiple repetitive cuts, etc.). I have not found a person who does WWing for a living that has given up their table saw entirely for a Festool setup.

One of my pet peeves is new WWers getting advice to go buy a table saw. The major problem with a table saw is that you have to move the workpiece -through- the tool, not the tool through the workpiece. You have now effectively doubled (actually slightly more than doubled) the required area for a given operation. People with small work areas should look for solutions that push the tool through the wood (routers, jigsaws, circular saws, hand saws, hand planes, etc.).

David epstein
05-05-2010, 8:41 PM

Derek.
The simple and straight answer is NO.

According to the postings at the ez forum, the new ez website is going live tomorrow.
With many innovations and new tools that are designed to take over dangerous work from traditional tools and in your situation to replace the tablesaw functions.

Believe it or not, ( the first picture ) that was done at the new ez bench.
without clamping or jigging.

Another poster said that you can't do cove molding with a track saw.
He is right.

With the ez powerbench you can make coves very safe
and without any jigging.

You can use your Festool setup to replace the tablesaw and many more tools if you call eurekazone and talk to Dino.
Your table can be outfitted with the ez bridge and rails.

David epstein
05-05-2010, 8:50 PM
I like the safety of the bridge and the pressure applied to the wood
with no jigs and tricks.

Dan Karachio
05-05-2010, 11:21 PM
Absolutely not. I have both. Cross cutting large pieces is where the Festool comes in (MFT and a saw). If I could go back and get some kind of panel extension for my table saw, I would. Don't get me wrong, the Festool is great stuff, just over kill for what I need. Alas, I was seduced. Still, I am not selling any of it. This is a case where I bought the wrong tool, but the wrong way too good of a tool and I will not give it up! :-)

I also looked at Eurekazone and while twice the price or more than a Festool saw and table, I think that just might be up to replacing a table saw. If you were obsessed with erector sets as a kid, that stuff is the adult wood shop equivalent. Endless possibilities. I think about it now and then...

Eiji Fuller
05-05-2010, 11:51 PM
Supplement yes, replace no. there are just too many things to list that you can do "efficiently" with a table saw. Just take a look at Jim Tolpin's Table Saw Magic and you will see.

I have loads of festool equiptment that I use in the shop and out of the shop. My cabinet saw along with my band saw remains and continues to be the workhorse of the shop.

I love my festool saw but if I had to choose between the 2 it would go bye.

I did get rid of my jobsite saw but Im talking shop here.

Eiji Fuller

Derek Arita
05-06-2010, 1:53 PM
Thanks for all of the informative comments. I have half a garage + of WW machines that are all pushed together in storage. I figure in today's $, I have about $20K worth of iron there. Everything was fine, set up in my two car garage, but a recent move into a house with a three car garage left me with less space. It breaks my heart, but the new wife wants garage space for her stuff, so somethings got to go...don't say it, I know what you're thinking. The reason I asked this question is, I was thinking about getting rid of everything, but the drill press, planer, jointer and band saw. I already sold off a PM edge sander and 8" jointer. I shed a tear.
This has been the set up for about a year now. I've done little to no WW in that time. The only things I've used have been my Festool tracksaw/table, mitersaw and drill press. That's why I thought about replacing the TS with the Festool. Thing that kills me is that there are houses in my development that have a three car garage and an additional four car garage/shop. I just keep saying,"...someday....someday...", so I've kept the machines with that dream in mind.

Paul Johnstone
05-06-2010, 1:58 PM
Personally, I would not try to replace a tablesaw with a festool saw.
If you are going to use a track saw, you are going to need room to set up sawhorses or a MFT. If you have room for that, is there anyway possible to get a tablesaw on a mobile base?

I mean, I can see if you are forced to do woodworking without a garage, basement, etc that a track saw with folding sawhorses used outside would be the only alternative. I'm sure you could get by and get it to work, but there's a lot of operations that are going to be more tedious and it's going to be more difficult to get repeatable, accurate cuts.

Pat Turner
05-10-2010, 11:36 PM
I've bought a TS-55 and just cut up my 200th sheet of sheet goods. Awesome for handling sheet goods, either heavy ones (MDF, 3/4 ply) or light ones (FRP) which get floppy on a table saw, plus the abrasive dust. Dust collection is good with any vac atached (I use a Fein in the shop, but a generic shop vac seems to work well.) The downside is lack of power- I cannot cut 2 sheets of 3/4 ply lengthwise with out the motor tripping to low speed. Maybe the 13 amp larger saw is better- I'm planning on ordering one, but it is a weakling compaired to my milwaukee 15A sidewinder saw.

I wouldn't let it replace the table saw if I had a choice- but it does make it a whole lot easier to use a job site table saw such as the bosch. I'd rather have the bosch and a Ts-55 than my unisaw with a custom out feed table any day. The big downside to the track saw is lack of repeatability (I just cut 400' of 5.25 wide 3/4 plywood strips,) inability to handle thin pieces, lack of power (both a universal motor and a weaker one at that- almost wonder if it was designed for 50 Hz). The other non obvious advantage is better (or cheaper at least) antisplinter inserts. The little green foot is quickly and more easially replaced than a throat plate.

There's other disadvantages in crosscutting but the SCMS can handle most of that.

Mr. Jeff Smith
05-11-2010, 12:30 AM
Doesn't cover every cut type. but I understand that you can get quite a bit of repeatability when paring a TS with the MFT/3. (I own neither)

Alex Leslie
05-11-2010, 9:10 AM
I have a TS75 and a cabinet saw. I would not give up either of them. I do have the parallel guides for the Festool tracks which makes repetitive rips fast and acurate. My back just can't take wrestling sheets of mdf anymore and the Festool has been a godsend in that respect. I don't have an MFT yet; I just use a sheet of foam on on old school table to break down sheets. The Festool catches much more of the dust than the tablesaw does.

Dan Chouinard
05-21-2010, 8:52 PM
No, a track saw can not replace a table saw unless you dont mind wasting a good deal of time measuring and lining up the track with your mark. Perfect repeatable cuts are difficult to produce. And when you connect two tracks together to rip 8' of ply it will not be straight because over that distance the track will wander in the middle as there is no quick way to clamp it in place there. And dont ever let someone use their festool saw on your track because it will never be accurate again. Trust me, learned that one the hard way.
They are great though for angle cuts on sheet goods or making tapered adjustments on inset doors.....

Will Overton
05-21-2010, 9:21 PM
Yes it can. The parallel guides give you all the repeatability of a table saw. With the extension kit, you can even cut thin (rip cut) strips.

Someone mentioned they use the track saw to break down sheet goods. They were actually designed, and work very well at accurately doing all your finish cuts on your sheet goods, without moving the board. You can stack sheet goods and cut multiple parts at the same time, something that would be unsafe on a table saw.

If you need to cross cut multiple boards to length, you can place them side by side, lay the rail and cut them all at once. I suggest getting a shorter rail for individual cross cuts. I have a 32" as well as two 55" rails.

I'm not saying I prefer ripping with a track saw over a table saw, but aside from dadoes, the answer to "Can" a track saw replace a table saw? is pretty much YES.

A lot of folks buy a tool, like a track saw for a specific purpose such as cutting sheet goods. It does that well, they are happy, but don't explore other possibilities.

That said, since I have the room, I'll keep both.

BTW - if you decide the Festool track saw will be your only saw, I'd go for the larger TS-75. It's a bit heavy, but you may need to cut some thicker stock.

Dan Chouinard
05-21-2010, 10:08 PM
I can just see the smoke show from cutting multiple sheets of stacked plywood. I will check out those parallel guides though.

bill bruno
05-21-2010, 10:17 PM
I agree with Eiji Fuller. I also have many Festool products. But I would never give up my tablesaw (other Festool products -- yes). As Eiji indicated, checked Jim Toplin’s book.

Van Huskey
05-21-2010, 11:57 PM
All this time and we haven't agreed on the answer.

It is simple folks the answer is yes AND no...:D

Eiji Fuller
05-22-2010, 2:49 AM
[QUOTE=Will Overton;1428184]Yes it can. The parallel guides give you all the repeatability of a table saw. With the extension kit, you can even cut thin (rip cut) strips.

QUOTE]

If you arent concerned with how much time it will take to do those rips then you are correct.

how about stopped cuts like cutting a rebate in 2 passes, or tenons, with a few cuts I can make a door jamb with an integral door stop kerfed for weather stripping. Try any of those with a track saw and you will be participating in an excersize in futility.

The answer is no. we are talking about replacing a table saw and what it can do not that a track saw can inefficiently produce repeat rips.

I do love most of the festool tools. Im especially fond of my TS75 and rails but if I could have only my cabinet saw or the TS75. It would not be a hard choice.