PDA

View Full Version : Possible New Shop

Dave Richards
11-18-2004, 12:39 PM
We went to loook at a place last night. Four bedroom house (one unfinished in basement) built 1999 on 10+ acres. 439,900

36x56 heated shop with additional attached 24x24 workroom (with in floor heat). 36x24 stable that could be converted to cold wood storage or whatever.

The owner/builder uses the shop to build cabinets. Is planning to quit the business because he also works in Mayo Clinic's own cabinet shop (better benefits). Might be selling most of the tools.

So what do you think? should I see if I can try to squeeze my shop into that space? :p

http://www.woodshopphotos.com/albums/Dave-R1s-Album/shop.jpg
http://www.woodshopphotos.com/albums/Dave-R1s-Album/shop2.jpg

Anybody wanna go halves on the shop? :D

Ed Lang
11-18-2004, 12:45 PM
Anybody wanna go halves on the shop? :D

Sure! I'll take the inside.:D

Looks fantastic!

Jim Ketron
11-18-2004, 12:53 PM
Dave that would be hard to pass up!!!
Good luck hope you get it!
Jim

John Miliunas
11-18-2004, 1:54 PM
Hmmmm....But where oh where would you have room for the cyclone? :eek: Egads Richard! That's enough shop for three or four people! :D Good luck, my friend! Keep us posted. :cool:

Mark J Bachler
11-18-2004, 1:59 PM
HHHHmmmmmm Shell Lake's only an hour away. That's a chunk of change though.

Mark J Bachler
11-18-2004, 2:02 PM
That place looks really familiar. I wonder if that's the guy I bought my panel router from. Does he live accross the road from a lake? I'll have to look for the receipt for a name.

Dave Richards
11-18-2004, 2:02 PM
Thanks guys. Ed I'll give your offer some consideration. ;)

John, the cyclone can go in the attached 36x24 stable area which is behind the insulated sliding doors shown in the background of the first picture.

I think I'd have to find someone to share that space with me to be able to afford it. Of course I was reading in the latest propaganda from Legacy Woodworking that some guy is making columns with his mill and getting $2000 a piece for them. If I could make 4 columns a week I'd be in good shape. :D

Frank Pellow
11-18-2004, 2:03 PM
WOW!

I don't think I would want the responsibility of adequately utilizing a shop of that size.

Greg Narozniak
11-18-2004, 2:04 PM
I would almost kill to have that much space :D

Good Luck and let us know if it works out

Tyler Howell
11-18-2004, 2:08 PM
I could help you get it dirty!!!! Wow Very nice. Great boat building space!!:D

Dave Richards
11-18-2004, 2:09 PM
Mark, that drive between here and and Shell Lake will go real quick once you get used to it. Just down Hwy 35 until you get to Wabasha, then down Hwy 42 to Viola and you're within a mile or so of this place.

Sorry, no lake across the road.

Dave Richards
11-18-2004, 2:11 PM
Tyler, I was thinking about building a boat in that space. It would be good.

Chad Pater
11-18-2004, 2:30 PM
Nice looking space! Hmmmm I'm guessing it's only 2 1/2 hours from here......
Keep us updated

Tyler Howell
11-18-2004, 2:37 PM
Ok Ok! you drive a hard bargin, We'll bring our own wood and hand tools.

Dave Richards
11-18-2004, 3:49 PM
Alright, lets see. Ed's got the inside. Tyler, Mark, Chad and I get the outside. that's five of us. If each of you send me $88,000 we've got us a shop.

Oh, this will get your mouths drooling. 400AMP service to the shop. 220 and 120 run all over the place along with piped air.

Michael Stafford
11-18-2004, 3:57 PM
Is there a closet or something that I can put my shop into for, like $39.95? :p

Maybe I can rent space by sweeping up... :D

Dave Richards
11-18-2004, 4:21 PM
Michael, the more the merrier. You could have your choice of spaces. There's the closet with a water heater in it for the infloor heat, there's a tackroom or you could have one of the three box stalls where the horses currently sleep. :D

Do horses actually sleep?

Jerry Olexa
11-18-2004, 5:04 PM
Wow That is Paradise for a WWer!!! Go for it!! You can never have enough space or power or light or tools or....etc Looks great. A dream.

Jim Stastny
11-18-2004, 5:50 PM
Not only do you have unbelievable room, but consider the price a real bargain. Around here (near D.C.) the house alone would go for 500k, never mind the out buildings and other accoutrements.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-18-2004, 6:21 PM
WOW! Christmas could come early this year! Great find!

Paul B. Cresti
11-18-2004, 8:54 PM
Dave,
You have got to be kidding me only 439,000 for that, a house and 10acres???? Do you have any idea how much that would cost in my area??? Do not even think twice about it. Just think how many Minimax machines you could fit in there ;)
Good luck on the bidding!

Kevin Villas
11-18-2004, 9:15 PM
That sure sounds like a WWers dream with the shop space already set up for you.

If you love the house I would jump on it, the only problem I can see is the bedrooms. I don't know about home values in the area so I can't say if thats high/low but generally if the bedroom is in the basement most people won't count it in unless its a 5th. So you really might be looking at buying a 430k 3 bedroom house. I wasn't even going to mention this but my friend has been trying to sell a home on 6 acres with the same setup. 3 bedrooms + 1 in a totally finished basement a little under the price you said. It has been on the market for 2 years, the house is great too.. You also have to take into account the % of people who will want to pay the price because of the shops, to a lot of people they don't matter much.

I really don't want you to think i am being a jerk by finding a negative in it, but since I have seen my friend struggle with the setup I thought I should at least mention it.

Try not to say "we won't be moving either" because things can always change, he thought he would live in the house he is selling for the rest of his life when he bought it too.. Thats why he let the 4th bedroom in the basement slide.

Good luck

Jim Becker
11-19-2004, 2:07 PM
Very nice--that's a shop. And without knowing the real estate market in your area, I think that the price sounds very fair for 10 acres and multiple buildings...in fact, it would go for double that in my neighborhood. Easy.

Bob Marino
11-19-2004, 2:15 PM
WOW, sure beats my garage shop that's shared with the lawnmower, bicycles and car! Hard for me to fathom that much space.

Bob

Dave Richards
11-19-2004, 2:19 PM
Well, it looks like I'm not going to get to fathom it after all. SWMBO doesn't like the house. And you know what they say, "if mamma ain't happy, nobody's happy." Oh well, we'll keep looking.

Frank Pellow
11-19-2004, 2:23 PM
Well, it looks like I'm not going to get to fathom it after all. SWMBO doesn't like the house. And you know what they say, "if mamma ain't happy, nobody's happy." Oh well, we'll keep looking.
Sorry about that! :( With a nice shop like that the conterbalance the shortcommings of the house, she must really not have liked the house.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-19-2004, 2:24 PM
You're right! That would have been an unbelieveable shop, however! Hang in there!