PDA

View Full Version : It's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission / Buckeye Burl Gloat

steven carter
05-04-2010, 9:30 AM
My wife had knee surgery last Thursday, and I got her out last night, went through a drive thru, picked up some food and went to the park to eat. She needed to use the restroom, so I drove her to it, and noticed a buckeye tree that had lost it's top in thunderstorms we had last night. Just the trunk was left standing, about 10 feet tall, and there was a burl that I had never noticed before, about 5 feet from the ground. When hurricane Ike went through a couple years ago, the park let people cut wood, and I got some chestnut oak and mulberry, so I took this as tacit approval for some more cutting. I went home, got my saw and salvaged this burl. As you can see from the yard stick it is about 18" in diameter, my first harvested burl!

I don't yet have the means to core bowls, so I'm thinking of trying to do something like what the estimable Mr. Keeton did with his big leaf maple burl and try to hollow it. I think this would use more of the burl than making a bowl and having most of the burl end up on the floor. Thanks to John Keeton, and Baxter Smith, I will be receiving the Drozda finial DVDs, and it could not be better timing. Funny how things conspire in the universe.

Steve

bob svoboda
05-04-2010, 9:49 AM
Great score Steve! Can't wait to see what you end up turning from that beauty.

Bernie Weishapl
05-04-2010, 9:58 AM
Congrats Steven. That should make a nice turning whatever you decide it to be.

George Guadiane
05-04-2010, 10:11 AM
Because I get more than my share of really nice materials from my area, I REALLY don't have the right to be, BUT...
We don't have buckeye here, and buckeye burl is also REALLY beautiful.
Congratulations on a righteous burl "liberation." Please be sure to post your finished piece (the process would be cool too) so I can drool a bit more.

Steve Schlumpf
05-04-2010, 10:33 AM
Congrats on your burl!

Nice to see a public minded citizen that is concerned enough about the safety of others to take it upon themselves to remove obvious hazards! :D:D:D

Baxter Smith
05-04-2010, 10:43 AM
That is a great looking burl. Good luck with the burl and the finials!

Mark Patoka
05-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Great score, and you saved your park maintainers a little extra cleanup work. :)

John Keeton
05-04-2010, 1:31 PM
Steven, that is going to make a beautiful HF, and with your soon to be acquired knowledge and skill on finials, you will turn a winner - no doubt!!

Brian Effinger
05-04-2010, 1:48 PM
When hurricane Ike went through a couple years ago, the park let people cut wood, and I got some chestnut oak and mulberry, so I took this as tacit approval for some more cutting. I went home, got my saw and salvaged this burl.
Bad boys, bad boys, what ya gonna do, what ya gonna do when the come for you! :D You better be careful Yogi, the park ranger may be looking for you. :D :p

I'm looking forward to seeing what you make from this absconded burl.

David E Keller
05-04-2010, 4:43 PM
Great find... Is that the kind of thing that needs a little time to spalt first? Most of the buckeye burl that I've seen has been yellow with dark black/blue streaks that I thought was spalting. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.