PDA

View Full Version : What do I do with this bark?

Brian Effinger
05-03-2010, 10:50 PM
I have attached some photos of a bowl rough-out I did tonight. There is a stringy bark inclusion in it. I am thinking of stabilizing it with either CA or epoxy, but was wondering if I should do this before I dry it (DNA method) or after. What do you guys & gals think? The wood is wet (very, very wet) curly cottonwood.

Oh, it felt so good turning this and another rough-out because I have had very little turning time since new year's.

Thanks. :)

Keith Burns
05-03-2010, 10:55 PM
Brian, my opinion would be to not glue it.

Scott Hackler
05-03-2010, 10:55 PM
If it dries up real good I would either leave it as is or CA to stabilize. I have done several bowls where I "found" bark, and I generally try to just leave it alone and when finishing that area gets a whole lot more laquer!

Richard Madison
05-03-2010, 11:06 PM
Dry it first.

Dick Strauss
05-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Brian,
I've had issues with using CA and then doing an alcohol soak. The CA glue went milky white while in the CA for some reason. I'd suggest waiting until the piece is out of the DNA before applying CA or epoxy.

Steve Schlumpf
05-04-2010, 12:12 PM
I'd dry it first - then when you finish turn it you can decide if it needs CA or not.

Kaptan J.W. Meek
05-04-2010, 1:28 PM
i'd dry it first - then when you finish turn it you can decide if it needs ca or not.

+1... ^^^^^^

Brian Effinger
05-04-2010, 1:51 PM
Thanks guys. I kept it, and it's smaller brother, under the curlies last night, but will go down now and put them in the bucket of DNA.