PDA

View Full Version : Explain Bill Giese method of segmentation?

Jim Underwood
05-03-2010, 10:49 PM
I've been perusing back issues of the AAW journal and I keep coming back to one that has a Bill Giese segmented bowl on the cover.

I've been wondering how he did this rounded shape in the segmenting?

You can see what I'm talking about here:

http://www.woodguild.com/giese/main.html

Brian Effinger
05-03-2010, 11:08 PM
I believe he used a two-part stave to make this bowl. As the form works it's way up from the bottom it transitions from the inner stave to the outer stave, and gives that arc. Malcolm Tibbetts describes this in his book.

Tom Giacomo
05-04-2010, 12:50 AM
After seeing this piece awhile ago I wanted to try one. After several attempts I found that it could not transitation from two staves glued together the arc would only be very sutile. I ended up using a bandsaw method to beable to get the pronounced arc needed. This is what I ended up with.

Malcolm Tibbetts
05-04-2010, 1:04 AM
Jim, as Tom has said, lamination trickery will only produce a subtle curve. Bill Giese used a router jig to create the matching curves.

Sadly, the journal issue with the cover shot of Bill's piece, which would be a thrill for any turner, arrived at Bill's home just days after he died. He never experienced the pleasure. :(

Jim Underwood
05-04-2010, 8:40 AM
Sadly, the journal issue with the cover shot of Bill's piece, which would be a thrill for any turner, arrived at Bill's home just days after he died. He never experienced the pleasure. :(

Aww... And that is such a nice photo of his work too.

Well thank you for the explanation. Is there any documentation of his method?

Brian Effinger
05-04-2010, 1:38 PM
Jim, as Tom has said, lamination trickery will only produce a subtle curve. Bill Giese used a router jig to create the matching curves.

Learn something new everyday. I too would like to know if it is documented anywhere.

That is too bad about Mr. Giese. Hopefully he at least knew that his work had been selected for the cover.

Jim Underwood
05-06-2010, 11:16 PM
Bump...

Anyone?

Malcolm?

Mike Golka
05-07-2010, 8:49 AM
Jim, Walt Nolan has a great tutorial over on the segmenters forum under tutorials. He uses router jigs to make curved pieces for a beautiful bowl.

http://segmentedwoodturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54

Moderators, hope this is allowed.

Jim Underwood
05-07-2010, 10:26 PM
Thanks Mike, that does give me ideas on how it could be done.

Jim Underwood
05-07-2010, 10:55 PM
I have to imagine that Tom's method is similar to Giese' method.

Tom how do you make those pieces, and how do you shape them for joining?

I notice that the segments are (relatively) long pieces. After you get the curved male and female parts joined, do you cut them on an angled taper jig? And when you get them shaped, how do you join them? I can't imagine a jig that would make this easy...:confused: