PDA

View Full Version : Abrasive Cleaning Stick, another us

Bill Huber
05-03-2010, 9:55 PM
I guess I am not to smart, it's taken me 2 years to find this out.

I do a lot of layout marks just want to make sure I put things together right and were to cut things and I use a pencil to do it.

Sanding out these marks is not very easy, the marks get down in the grain, the best way I have found is just to erase them so I go though a lot of erasers on my pencil, like a lot of them.

You know those creap sticks you buy to clean your sanding belts and disk, well they are just a big eraser and they work great and are easier to hold then a pencil to erase all the lines.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5518&filter=sanding%20belt

Van Huskey
05-03-2010, 9:56 PM
Actually, a great tip that I never thought of.

Mike Leung
05-04-2010, 3:07 AM
I will use that tip in the future. Thanks for sharing

Russ Kay
05-04-2010, 8:01 AM
Here's another way: most of the time, you can easily wipe pencil marks off using alcohol.

Tony Bilello
05-04-2010, 8:03 AM
Never tried alcohol before. But I will next time.

Bill Huber
05-04-2010, 8:38 AM
Here's another way: most of the time, you can easily wipe pencil marks off using alcohol.

I will have to give that one a try....

Thanks

glenn bradley
05-04-2010, 9:40 AM
Dual use of a product? That's great. Once upon a time I read a post where a guy used 'Magic Rub' erasers available at any stationary store. I'm still using my first pair but really only use them on smoothed material so the wear is slow. For rough stuff, I'm grabbing the sander-stick from now on. Thanks.

Jim Rimmer
05-04-2010, 1:12 PM
When I reach the point in my project where I'm not using sharp tools I often use alcohol to make the job easier. :D

Greg Portland
05-04-2010, 2:33 PM
For marking the work -after- dimensioning and surface prep I use chalk. Pencil lead is pretty hard and can dent the wood. Chalk is also obviously easier to clean off. Before surface prep I use pencil because it's finer and easier to read.

Peter Quinn
05-04-2010, 7:44 PM
When I reach the point in my project where I'm not using sharp tools I often use alcohol to make the job easier. :D

Ditto. I like to put back a quick scotch to celebrate the progress, then I quickly lick off all the pencil marks. It works great and preraises the grain for a water based finish! Some species taste better than others.:eek:

Don Morris
05-05-2010, 2:11 AM
Leave it to an Irishman to know how to find a way to provide an alcoholic method for any procedure. My wife and I were the host family to an Irish graduate student for a couple years. He brought us two bottles of Scotch. One was Tullamore Dew...he said it was terrible stuff, but they served it to people who thought the name sounded great. The other was Jamison...he said that was the "good stuff".