PDA

View Full Version : Best way to remove some light rusting and what looks like tape marks...

Brendan Plavis
05-03-2010, 8:09 PM
Well, I noticed that my bandsaw table is rusting even more now that we are in the above 75% humidity range....

So my question is, what is the best way to remove the rust. I have read some odd ones on these forums under the search, like using coke or transmission fluid...

But what is the best way. I hear Kerosene works well, but I would be afraid of using it on the top of a saw, since if there is a spark(aka I hit a nail or something) I would hate for my saw to become a fireball(not because of the saw, but because my room happens to be directly above it..... as well as the fact that I dont want my saw on fire....

Not to mention, since i bought it, I have noticed all sorts of marks, tape, as well as some marker on it, I was hoping for a way to clean those off...

Any suggestions: Thanks
-BRendan

Neil Brooks
05-03-2010, 8:25 PM
"Best" is always controversial.

I know that WD-40 + a green Scotchbrite pad works. Some people stick their random orbit sander ON the Scrotchbrite pad, and let IT do the work :)

So does Bar Keeper's Friend.

Once it's cleaned up, use either paste wax or Boeshield T-9 on it, to keep it from rusting.

Van Huskey
05-03-2010, 9:51 PM
Once the kerosene evaporates there is no fire danger.

WD-40 and scotchbrite is one of the least expensive ways.

Johnson's paste wax to protect it is fine, cheap and available at the BORG, don't use wax with silicon in it, it can effect finishing of the wood later.

Tim Lawson
05-03-2010, 10:30 PM
A couple of suggestions:
1) Johnson's paste wax (aka bowling alley wax) rubbed with 0000 steel wool and then buffed off with a cotton rag is my general purpose machine table treatment (tablesaw, bandsaw, jointer, planer etc)
2) If that doesn't work try 600grit wet and dry with camellia oil. Support the wet and dry with a wood or cork block. If the rust is stubborn drop down to 400 and further down 320 if needed. I use these to clean up hand planes. Camellia oil is a little spendy but is wonderful for maintaining hand tools. Google for on-line sources.

Chip Lindley
05-04-2010, 6:58 AM
Red ScotchBrite pad (for metal cleaning) and mineral spirits, works for me. For heavily rusted tables, I have used an old wide wood chisel to scrape down to bare metal; then a polishing with the two above. If there is only surface rust (no pitting) your table will look brand new with the application of copious amounts of elbow grease!

Mineral spirits will also dissolve tape or sticker residue, without taking the paint off.

Robert Malone
05-04-2010, 7:44 AM
Simply Green or Purple Power will break down and absorb permanent ink marker.
WD-40 will break down tape.
Doing one-at-a-time, working in with your fingers and
giving them time to work.
Then give the whole table a cleaning and waxing.

Ted Baca
05-04-2010, 12:49 PM
I have good success with Brake Clean (available at auto parts stores) and steel wool. Once I get it clean I use a extra fine grit emery cloth then apply a wax. I use Kity Speed but haven't seen it for years, it was made just for waxing cast iron tops. I believe it came out of Sweden. You may google it, but I really like it.

Neil Brooks
05-04-2010, 1:08 PM
I have good success with Brake Clean (available at auto parts stores) and steel wool. Once I get it clean I use a extra fine grit emery cloth then apply a wax. I use Kity Speed but haven't seen it for years, it was made just for waxing cast iron tops. I believe it came out of Sweden. You may google it, but I really like it.

Brake cleaner, generally, is a good and powerful thing, but ...

Wear a respirator, use it outside, don SCUBA gear, and .... don't breathe !!!

It's serious stuff.

[I HAD to say that to our young, non-safety-glass-wearing woodworking buddy, Brendan :D]

Jesse Wilson
05-04-2010, 1:14 PM
Not a home remedy or anything but I can vouch for the Topsaver system.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10697&filter=topsaver

My new Grizzly 8" joiner came in and it had honey comb shaped rusting all over the top. In about a half an hour it all looked brand new again.

Prashun Patel
05-04-2010, 1:33 PM
I'd first try mineral spirits or wd40 and steel wool. That'll at least get any tape residue off.

Ted Baca
05-04-2010, 1:58 PM
Neil, I have been using brake clean for years and haven't noticed any health issues from it and I use it indoors most of the time. Neil, I have ben using brake cle%n for years and h*ven't noticed any health issues from it and I @se it indoors most of the time. Neil, I h7ve been using brake clean for yea2s and haven't noticeeeed any health issues from it and eye use it indoors most of the time. Neil, I halve been youzing brake clean for years aynd haven't noticed any heylth ishoes from it and I use it Ndoors moast of the tyme.:eek:

Michael MacDonald
05-04-2010, 2:14 PM
ted is channeling flowers for algernon.

Brendan Plavis
05-04-2010, 2:50 PM
Haha.... no health issues that I can see.... lol

Mineral Spirits, this is paint/lacouer thinner, correct?

I might try that....

Will an SOS pad work, rather than steel wool. I mean, it contains soap.... thats why I worry, but this wont hurt it correct?

And before I get to using these liquids, should I take off the motor(big chore) or just remove the blade(so its easier on my hands(was waxing the other day and sliced myself pretty good...)

Prashun Patel
05-04-2010, 2:55 PM
"Mineral Spirits, this is paint/lacouer thinner, correct?"

No. MS might be a minor component of some lacquer thinners, but the other solvents in LT are much more aggressive and dangerous than MS.

"Will an SOS pad work, rather than steel wool."
I've never tried that. I use steel wool.

"Should I take off the motor(big chore) or just remove the blade"
You lost me. I don't think you have to remove either to access all parts of the table safely. Just make sure it's OFF...

"Was waxing the other day and sliced myself pretty good..."
Hope you weren't Brazilian waxing when you sliced yrself...

Brendan Plavis
05-04-2010, 2:58 PM
Nah... I makesure the brazilians have short nails.....wait wrong waxing... Nah... I was applying floor wax...

And yea..... Ill make sure that I wax while the saw is running..... no gain is without some good risk... joking of course....

Brendan Plavis
05-04-2010, 4:25 PM
This is the stuff I have, that I was wondering if it would work:

It says its a low odor mineral spirits, not to mention it says its a cleaning solvent... but then again, it also says Paint Thinner so I wasnt sure.....

Ted Baca
05-04-2010, 5:04 PM
What about the Rabbits Michael??

Brendan Plavis
05-05-2010, 2:43 PM
I dont mean to bug, but can anyone tell me whether an SOS pad is acceptable, and whether the stuff I posted will work?

Thanks: Sorry, its just that it has almost been 20 hours... since the last post... and it was about rabbits....

Nathan Palenski
05-05-2010, 4:27 PM
I just bought some more naval jelly over the weekend. Probably the easiest rust removal I've ever done. Wipe on with a papertowel, wait until it changes color and wipe it off. Spray on some windex or other multisurface cleaner to make certain its absolutely clean and then wax.

Alan Schwabacher
05-05-2010, 4:45 PM
Mineral spirits or paint thinner will help in getting gunk from tape off. It will not remove rust, but will help to flush off rust that has been removed with elbow grease. WD-40 will also.

Naval jelly, Coke, and most other rust removers have phosphoric acid in them, and will chemically help to remove rust and leave behind a somewhat discolored but corrosion resistant surface. Just make sure to clean off the acid (and perhaps sugar) with water after use, then dry and treat it to protect from water.

For this, Boeshield T-9 is good as it can soak into the pores of the cast iron (yes, it has pores) and prevent corrosion from beginning there. WD-40 will too, but leaves less protection behind as it evaporates. Ordinary furniture wax works well on the surface.

Rockler carries a set with T-9, phosphoric acid-based rust remover, and a solvent-based blade and bit cleaner. It works well.

Brendan Plavis
05-05-2010, 8:23 PM
Well.... I used paintthinner/mineral spirts(says both on the bottle:eek:) with an SOS pad to get off some of the easier rust, then covered it with wax from a tea light(this is mostly pariffin)...

Mineral spirts wont take off the painted surface on the castiron right(the sides,I think this is powder coated) I dont think I got any really on there, but just to be sure...

Thanks
-B

David DeCristoforo
05-05-2010, 11:16 PM
I got one word for you. It's Italian so if you don't know what it means, PM me and I'll explain. The word is "fageddaboudit". Clean off the table with paste wax and steel wool and don't worry about the "color" of the CI. If you insist on having "pristine" work surfaces, you will spend your life trying to polish your tools up and never get any woodworking done...