PDA

View Full Version : John Keeton ..your all right in my book

brian watts
05-03-2010, 7:59 PM
got home today and what a BOX of wood from MR. keeton. tobacco sticks ..i went though the box and found 3-4 sticks i can make strikers out of and the rest will be use in other projects. you made my day for sure . like a kid in a candy store. i really like old wood with history behind it. that the best wood in my book. well it was off to the LATHE and do some turning. and this iswhat turn out of the old beat up stick.. thanks alot MR. keeton the shipping money will be sent in the morning sometime.....brian

John Keeton
05-03-2010, 8:28 PM
Brian, glad the box made it!! I really had no idea exactly what size, and most of the sticks were not very thick. Hope you can get some use from the rest of it!! They are oldies though - for sure!

Fred Perreault
05-03-2010, 9:07 PM
John,
have you turned much red cedar?.... I mean cediper? What of white oak?

Prashun Patel
05-03-2010, 10:03 PM
+1 for that sentiment. JK's a generous sort.

John Keeton
05-04-2010, 6:33 AM
John,
have you turned much red cedar?.... I mean cediper? What of white oak?Fred, I have only turned one piece of cedar, and I had a little difficulty with some tearout and a crack. Easy to cut, and beautiful color, but probably not my favorite turning wood. Only turned a couple pieces of red oak - no white oak yet, though I do have a piece in my stash that looks interesting. Seems I have drifted more into figured woods.

Someone posted an ash piece on another forum that had been dyed, and it was beautiful - may have to try that.

Shawn, you are too kind!

Jeff Nicol
05-04-2010, 6:50 AM
It looks John has spread more of his great attitude and skills as a woodworker and a good person to more of us in the world! I have a great connection with him also and he is a definite benefit to SMC and all woodturners!

As I looked at the finished striker, I believe it is White oak, I think it was one of the prefered woods for many things in our history for its strength and resilance.

Great to be able to share! I am cleaning up my yard and all the chunks I have gathered over the winter so I may have a ton to share soon.

Great thread,

Jeff

David E Keller
05-04-2010, 4:55 PM
I've seemed to notice that turners are generally very generous and kind... Perhaps Counselor Keeton has been a turner long before he realized it(He certainly creates things that one would typically expect from somebody with a lot more curlies under his lathe so to speak).

Mark Burge
05-05-2010, 9:07 PM
Well, I didn't know that that was inside all those old tobacco sticks laying around my parent's KY farm. I'll have to procure some myself. Thanks for the tip.