PDA

View Full Version : bandsaw tension

Walt D Billings
05-03-2010, 7:50 PM
I recently got a jet JWBS-14ProDX 1-1/4HP. And it seems like a great saw:D. But the spring tension gauge is not working right. I took off the blade and cranked it down and the mark does not even come close to the 3/4'' on the gauge.

I got a TW 3/4 blade it I dont understand the flutter and what to look for:confused:. I would like to try using a dial caliper clamped to the blade to check the tension. but according to the caliper it is just a bit more than 00.3 when cranked all the down and is there a guide to how much tension I should put on each kind or size of blade that I want to use so I dont cause any damage to the blade or the saw

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=198533

Tom Henderson2
05-03-2010, 9:41 PM
The flutter is pretty obvious when you see it; as you reduce tension on the blade, it will go from a steady, straight line to fluctuating side-to-side like a guitar string.

Best to try this first with a narrower blade. Then when you know what you are looking for, try the larger blades.

Beware, though, that many band saws that are set up to accept 3/4" blades have a difficult time getting them properly tensioned as the frame and axles/wheels deflect before you get to the proper tension. Perhaps somebody that is more familiar with that specific saw will chime in about how it handles the larger blades.

-Tom H.

Prashun Patel
05-03-2010, 10:01 PM
I suspect yr problem is trying to use a 3/4" blade on a 14" saw. I could never get my 3/4" to flutter on my 14" Grizzly.

I ended up replacing mine.

In fact, it was able to cut thinner stock (4/4) pretty well, and I just used it like that for a few months. I replaced when I started cutting thicker stock.

Rick Fisher
05-04-2010, 1:07 AM
I had an 18" Delta which could barely run a 3/4" Blade.. It simply was not strong enough to tension it properly.

I could get it to cut thin stock, but on thicker stock, it would wander..

I ran 1/2" blades and they worked well.. I would suspect that 1/2" would be a great choice for you too..

Mike Harrison
05-04-2010, 3:30 AM
The marks on the tensioner are only valid when the blade is installed.