PDA

View Full Version : Spalted White Birch HF

Baxter Smith
05-03-2010, 6:50 PM
This piece of birch sat under my fathers workbench for the last 20 years and was kicking around the garage for longer than that. Brought it back on my last trip to Maine.

Wanted to try a second finial so went looking for something dry and easy to hollow. Hollowed to between 1/4 and 1/8 then quit before I didn't have anything to put a finial on.:eek: Finished with Deft satin spray lacquer.
The finial is from the same piece of cherry as yesterday then inked with a sharpie.

These were my father in laws. Never thought I would need them. :)
One never thinks they will grow old.
5 1/8 x 9 1/2 tall
As always, comments and suggestions are welcome.

Scott Hackler
05-03-2010, 7:00 PM
Nice work! That is an awesome finial. I would bet a little nerve racking while getting it to the toothpick diameter, huh?

I like the whole thing a lot. The bulb of the finial really sets the whole thing off, for me. Very nice.

George Guadiane
05-03-2010, 7:09 PM
EXCELLENT! I really like the form.
I would have liked to see the foot yucked in a little bit more (I'm having a problem with that myself), but that's the worst of it. The finial looks VERY nice.

Frank Van Atta
05-03-2010, 7:10 PM
Certainly a different finial. Great HF.

Robert McGowen
05-03-2010, 7:21 PM
Nice Baxter. This all seems to flow together quite nicely.

Michael Armstrong
05-03-2010, 7:39 PM
Nice work. The finial sets the piece off nicely.

Michael

Edward Bartimmo
05-03-2010, 8:01 PM
Baxter...great finial!

Mike Willeson
05-03-2010, 8:06 PM
Very nice project Baxter....and that finial is amazingly delicate...

David E Keller
05-03-2010, 8:06 PM
Great piece and a very nice finial. I love the shape of the finial, and I think it fits the form very well. Nice work.

John Keeton
05-03-2010, 8:39 PM
Baxter! You are the finial king!! Great piece, and you have made Cindy Drozda proud - just really nice work, and it blends very well with the form.

Excellent!!:)

Bernie Weishapl
05-03-2010, 8:43 PM
Baxter that is a beautiful piece. Finial looks great.

Richard Madison
05-03-2010, 10:21 PM
Nice work Baxter, and a beautiful chunk of wood. Since you asked, my usual comment about a slightly smaller diameter base and as George said, round the bottom edge into the base to give the piece a bit of "lift" from the surface.

Keith Burns
05-03-2010, 10:48 PM
Dang Baxter, it doesn't get much better. I agree about the foot being smaller but most people will be looking at the finial and not even notice the foot. Excellent work.

Brian Effinger
05-03-2010, 11:02 PM
I agree about the foot being smaller but most people will be looking at the finial and not even notice the foot. Excellent work.
There's a foot?!? :p:D
Seriously, nice form and amazingly thin final. Well done on all accounts.
Twenty years. I guess that birch was a little dry, huh?

Tony De Masi
05-04-2010, 7:43 AM
Really a nice piece Baxter. I can see why you needed those "helpers" for the finial too.

Tony

Steve Schlumpf
05-04-2010, 8:37 AM
Wow! Very impressive work Baxter! Looking forward to your next one!

steven carter
05-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Really nice Baxter! I hope I get as much out of the Drozda DVDs as you evidently did!

Steve

Baxter Smith
05-04-2010, 10:38 AM
I would bet a little nerve racking while getting it to the toothpick diameter, huh?

Not as nerve racking as the doing my first one.:) I did think I had done one pass too many when I thought I saw the tib wobble.

I would have liked to see the foot tucked in a little bit more
Thank you George, I took it down to slightly below the diameter of the 50 mm jaws that were holding it and called it good. I could/should have rounded it a touch. Hopefully I will think of that next time!

Baxter! You are the finial king!! Great piece, and you have made Cindy Drozda proud - just really nice work, and it blends very well with the form.

Excellent!!:)

King?:p Guess that makes you the Emperor!;) Thanks for sharing your DVD's. They were a big help in getting me started. Have to admit they are kind of fun. A couple months ago I wanted to do bowls bigger than my lathe can handle and now I need magnifiers!

Since you asked, my usual comment about a slightly smaller diameter base and as George said, round the bottom edge into the base to give the piece a bit of "lift" from the surface.

Thank you Richard. I appreciate any feedback given. I realize much is subjective but I "see" much better when people point things out. I agree with you on both points and can see it now that it is off the lathe and out of the chuck!:)

Dang Baxter, it doesn't get much better. I agree about the foot being smaller but most people will be looking at the finial and not even notice the foot. Excellent work.
Thank you Keith. After seeing your finials, I appreciate your approval!:)

Twenty years. I guess that birch was a little dry, huh?
Quite dry! It got saved from becoming firewood because it had some interesting spalting visible in the end. Was checked about 3 inches in on each end but the middle was ok.

I can see why you needed those "helpers" for the finial too.

Tony
I have an eye appointment scheduled for tomorrow Haven't been in a couple of years and I think it is time.:)

Thanks for all the positive feedback!

Mark Burge
05-04-2010, 3:38 PM
That is a fine piece of work Baxter. I love the finial, but I think you may be taking the detail work to the extreme with those glasses. Put those on, a respirator, hearing protection, a face shield, and a turning jacket and you would look like the new horror flick villain :).