PDA

View Full Version : Browser Problems With LeeValley?

Jim Koepke
05-03-2010, 6:15 PM
Anyone else have problems?

I am not sure if it was my browser or a problem with a change to the site.

I found that adding us/ after the .com/ makes it work.

jim

Ken Peluso
05-03-2010, 6:23 PM
There is definitely something up with the site. It appears that they are utilizing some type of geolocation logic determine your country when visiting the site. However it's creating a looping redirect problem in certain browsers. Visit again and replace the /us with something random like /asdf and you'll see an example.

Sorry for the in-depth tech speak; what I do. =)

Jim Koepke
05-03-2010, 6:27 PM
The redirect loop is what my browser told me.

I sent an email to customer service.

I was able to get into the site with a Google search. That is when I noticed my original bookmark did not have the us/ included.

jim

mike holden
05-04-2010, 8:56 AM
+1 to what Jim said.
Saving the site again did not work, typing in did not work, but going through google did.

Robin Lee? Are you reading this?

Mike

Andrew Gibson
05-04-2010, 9:21 AM
I haven't had any problem with the site. I was there last night looking arould and also this mourning. I just type leevalley.com into the address bar click enter and the site come up and works no problem. One thing I did have to do was reset the currency from Canadian to US.

Maybe I am doing it wrong and don't know it...

Ken Peluso
05-04-2010, 9:37 AM
it depends on your browser. they are forcing the redirect which is a common practice, there is just a problem in their code logic somewhere causing the loop.

looks like they changed it up a bit as you now get a splash screen asking you to select a country they United States redirects you to http://www.leevalley.com/us/?c=2 the trailing /?c=2 is what was missing yesterday (im assuming c = country).

there is still the looping problem if someone types a string that doesnt exist like /asdf. Instead of sending you to a 404 (page does not exist) page, the site spirals into the redirect loop. just poor programming.

I haven't had any problem with the site. I was there last night looking arould and also this mourning. I just type leevalley.com into the address bar click enter and the site come up and works no problem. One thing I did have to do was reset the currency from Canadian to US.

Maybe I am doing it wrong and don't know it...

Hong Le
05-05-2010, 1:05 AM
I had a lot of problems with Chrome, but haven't had any problems on FireFox.

Jim Koepke
05-05-2010, 1:41 AM
I had a lot of problems with Chrome, but haven't had any problems on FireFox.

I am more comfortable and used to Safari.

I do use FireFox on sites like ebay when I am listing items for sell.

Not sure if it is Safari programer's fault for not getting along or other site's programers for being lazy setting up a site or if it is a bit of both.

jim

mike holden
05-05-2010, 9:08 AM
Jim, et al,
I have the problem on firefox.
Only way in is through google (go figure?)
Mike

Just checked, problem is still there, 5/5/2010 9:19AM EDT

John Coloccia
05-05-2010, 10:06 AM
I have 0 problems getting in with Safari. I'm wondering for the folks having problems if you have cookies disabled?

Dale Sautter
05-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Maybe DNSSEC (Domain Name System Security Extensions) (http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/itdojo/?p=1713) related?...

Jim Koepke
05-05-2010, 1:18 PM
I think the problem may be related to what bookmark is being used.

My old bookmark was leevalley.com/wood/index.aspx?c=3. When it was changed to leevalley.com/us/wood/index.aspx?c=3 all the problems whet away.

My cookies are turned on. It may be that my ISP does not have a national identity for their server to grab onto when I am being redirected. I am not sure if my ISP extends into Canada.

This was just mostly meant as a heads up for others if they were having a problem as to how they might deal with it.

The programmers at Lee Valley know about it.

It is interesting that some have no problem and some do. Maybe if the LV programmers are reading this the information will help them.

jim

Jim Koepke
05-05-2010, 3:55 PM
Just got an email from Lee Valley tech support.

They think they got the problem fixed.

If anyone still has a problem, let them know at:

customerservice@leevalley.com

jim

Rob Lee
05-05-2010, 8:12 PM
Just got an email from Lee Valley tech support.

They think they got the problem fixed.

If anyone still has a problem, let them know at:

customerservice@leevalley.com

jim

Hi Jim,

Saw your post early this morning, but was unable to reply ( I'm in Vegas at a trade show). Did call our IT folks though, and they've since told me they were able to identify and address the issue you had.

About a week or so ago, we rolled in a new version of our website database, that had been in the works for about a year - not only our production stuff, but a completely new version of our content management system. Really - the largest changes we've made in 5+ years. We were hoping it would be completely transparent..... wishful thinking, as it turns out!

Sorry for the inconvenience...

Cheers -

Rob

Jim Koepke
05-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Never forget the lament of Mr. Murphy,

"If something can go wrong, it likely will go wrong."

jim