PDA

View Full Version : Dark line in Oak wood from stickers

Keith Harrell
05-03-2010, 1:18 PM
I have a two dark strips that runs across a piece of oak and I have not been able to sand them out. I believe they are from stickers placed between the boards to dry. I received them this way but didn't see the strips until I started sanding them. The boards are 14" so I can't plan them down as my planner only handles 13". I tried DNA but it didn't lighten them up at all.
Any other suggests other than sand, sand and sand. They are for a natural edge table.Thanks

Prashun Patel
05-03-2010, 1:20 PM
That might be from a reaction to the tannic acid in oak. It will sand out eventually, but could be fairly deep. Perhaps bleach will work. Don't try that unless you have a test piece or someone else verifies/contradicts. I have not tried that.

Tom Rick
05-03-2010, 1:33 PM
I have used the oxalic acid based cleaners to good effect.
Might be worth a try:

http://www.realmilkpaint.com/oxalic-acid-bleach.html

Frank Drew
05-03-2010, 6:15 PM
Keith,

From personal experience, sticker stain can go fairly deep into the board; not all the way through but deep enough to be a total pain.

I'd try the oxalic acid bleach, then coloring as you need. No guarantees.

Joe Chritz
05-04-2010, 6:22 PM
Sticker stain can be a real problem. Often when you have it you also have other signs of improper drying. I assume if you had case hardening or massive checking you would have noticed already.

It may be nearly impossible to sand the entire surface enough to maintain it flat and still get them gone.

Anyone in your area with a wide planer, drum sander or wide belt?

Joe

Danny Hamsley
05-04-2010, 6:37 PM
Sticker stain in oak seems to be worse in wide boards rather than narrow boards.

Scott T Smith
05-04-2010, 8:56 PM
Keith, if you're going to be in the Raleigh area any time soon feel free to bring the boards along and use my 16" jointer/planer as well as widebelt sander.

Send me a PM if you're interested.

Regards,

Scott